News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Book Trivia

Started by Rae, September 13, 2008, 10:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rae

Post any interesting trivia you have on books, authors, etc. They have to be true, no making stuff up!

Here are some little known facts:

1. Cinderella's slippers were originally made out of fur. The story was changed in the 1600s by a translator. It was the left shoe that Aschenputtel (Cinderella) lost at the stairway, when the prince tried to follow her.

2. Dr. Seuss wrote "Green Eggs and Ham" after his editor dared him to write a book using fewer than 50 different words.

3. Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was published March 20, 1852. It was the first American novel to sell one million copies.

Rae

4. Dr. Seuss’ full name was Theodor Seuss Geisel

5. The Bible is the best-selling nonfiction book of all time. Since 1815, more than 2.5 billion copies have been sold worldwide. It has been translated into more than 2,200 languages and dialects.

6. Charles Dickens called the sickly character in A Christmas Carol “Small Sam” and “Puny Pete” before settling on “Tiny Tim.”

7. The first public library in America was opened in Charleston, South Carolina, in 1698.

chunkylover

5. The Bible is the best-selling nonfiction book of all time. Since 1815, more than 2.5 billion copies have been sold worldwide. It has been translated into more than 2,200 languages and dialects.

Really?

Now for my factoid:

The Bible is the most stolen book from US liberies, and the most stolen book overall in the world.

Mattflora

Quote from: Chunkay on February 15, 2009, 12:33:32 PM
Really?

Now for my factoid:

The Bible is the most stolen book from US liberies, and the most stolen book overall in the world.

So sick and tired of that argument. People can't let it be?

My factoids:

- Charles Dickens suffered from epilepsy and made some of his characters epileptic as well.

-Charles Dickens would always sleep facing North, as he helped this improved his writing. He would carry a compass when traveling just to be safe.

-All of his books include characters that reminded him of people from his past.
Join NAW today! - http://wbswforum.proboards.com