News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

BBC America shows.

Started by Marq, July 10, 2011, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marq

For those who don't know, I'm an Asian-American from the Bay Area who knows more about UK pop culture than anything going on in the States right now.

That said? I finally finished my latest addiction courtesy of BBC America, "Sherlock," and I have to say:

This is the most awesome incarnation of the Sherlock Holmes character I've ever seen.

I'm a HUGE Sherlock Holmes fan, and all the subtle nuances and touches in this version have been fucking great to watch. Heard there's a new series coming out this fall in the UK. Hope it gets to Netflix, soon! Anyway, with this and "Misfits," I'm really curious if there are any other non-UK folks who dig their stuff as much as I do. Anyone?
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Duckman

Worth mentioning that Sherlock was written by the current head writer of Doctor Who (Steven Moffat) along with a Doctor Who writer and creator of the creepy, dark as hell comedy The League of Gentlemen (Mark Gatiss).  Two of the most talented TV writers working in the UK today.

Oh and it fucking ROCKS!

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Rebel Child

You know I'd end up posting on this one!

Misfits is absolutely brilliant. For a while I saw the commercial for it on Hulu and was like eeeeeh but then I checked it out and was very happy that I did.  It's a great show, just wish Hulu would pump out more episodes than just one every monday!

Doc Martin is also a very good show, I believe it's still up on Hulu, it's got Martin Clunes from Men Behaving Badly and he's absolutely stellar in the role of the good doctor.  Very good humor, good storylines, wonderful actors all around.  The funny thing is if you catch quite a few UK/BBC shows - you'll see a lot of actors from the shows showing up in Doc Martin.  The fellow who plays Burt Large was actually in an 80's comedy show called Chef! (yes with the exclamation point)  This was on Netflix, but it was removed.  Though with how Netflix is, it should be returning soon to instant streaming.  Chef! Is also on Netflix, or it was at one point.  Men Behaving Badly (which is just awesome) is also on Netflix.

Kingdom with Stephen Fry is wonderful to boot, unfortunately it left me with wanting more but there wasn't anymore to be had.  Though anything with Stephen Fry is aces.  I also believe this one may very well be on Hulu still, and I do know that it's also available on Netflix.

Monarch of the Glen is really good too, though the latter seasons were kinda silly, I still enjoyed it for the storylines, and for the actors.  The setting was absolutely beautiful and breath taking and the comedy while there wasn't done in such a way that made it feel forced.  This can be found on Netflix.

I really like Gordon Ramsay's stuff from across the pond.  Don't get me wrong I like the US version of Kitchen Nightmares, but there's something more earnest about the UK version.   Kitchen Nightmares UK can be found on Netflix.

MI-5, Blood in the Wire, Waking the dead are also rather good.  They're procedural, but in a fashion that makes Law  & Order and CSI look like kids play to be honest.  MI-5 is more action induced, but done very very well.  These can also be found on Netflix.

I've not seen Sherlock, but I think I might just have to now!

Rebel Child

Oh! I almost forgot one.

Downton Abby is also very well done.

jagilki

Speaking of BBA America.

STOP AIRING NON BRITISH SHOWS?

STOP AIRING X-FILES!

STOP AIRING STAR TREK NEXT GENERATION!

STOP AIRING BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!

GET BACK TO AIRING BRITISH SHIT!

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

You guys should check out 'The Inbetweeners'
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Exile

I love the InBetweeners, thats right in my wheelhouse.

Im a huge Doctor Who addict and the Sherlock series was fucking brilliant. They need to release the other 3 episodes stateside, especially since thats basically all they are going to do with Moffiat working on movies and Watson playing Bilbo in the Hobbit.

Mi-5 was great when it started kinda tailed off. I love the Helen Mirren prime suspect stuff too. I think youd like that cindy.

Adam Wrong

By mi-5 I think its been renamed as uk version called spooks. Hot chip oil... *shudder* bloody brilliant. Sherlock will have a new series eventually and is marvellous. If you ever get it watch teachers.

Flins.

First two seasons of Teachers are brilliant, Andrew Lincoln is great in it.

Gary

Was always a huge Sherlock fan but was leery of checking out the show without getting some feedback beforehand. Thanks Marq gonna d/l it later this afternoon.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Duckman

Andrew Lincoln being the dude who totally OWNED The Walking Dead!  Check him out in This Life too - the quintessential mid 90s UK show.  The first 'grown up' show I watched! :)

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.