News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Best/Favorite Directors

Started by Tim-Æ, September 15, 2008, 07:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

Ever go see a movie simply b/c its by one of your favorite directors? I know I have, plenty of times. Certain directors have that spice that you're looking for, and you clamor to the theaters because of just how damn impressive you think they master the story they are trying to tell. So who are they, and why do you flock them so well?

1. Joel & Ethan Coen - Yes, I believe they are the greatest filmmakers of all time probably. I know that's a huge exaggeration, but I honestly have been stunned by their work almost every time. I was a kid the first time I saw Fargo, and I was with my mother. She hated it. In fact, to this day she reminds me that it was the first time we ever disagreed on a film (and it started a chain reaction!). I'd have to say Fargo was my first taste of true indie filmdom and it has made a lasting impression on me. The dark humor, matched with the realism is just so powerful to me that I can't ignore their ability. Now, obviously not all of their films are masterpieces. I'm probably the one Coen follower who did NOT enjoy Raising Arizona but DID like The Ladykillers. Sue me. However, the greatest accomplishments to me are No Country for Old Men, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, and Blood Simple, by far. The first three rank in my top films of all time too. Truly amazing filmmakers and story tellers for that matter.

2. Christopher Nolan - I know, I know. I've seen the Dark Knight five times in the theater. He has a small filmography. He rarely is seen on camera, and he's not really a big name until now. But honestly...Memento is incredible. TDK was incredible. The Prestige. Batman Begins. Insomnia. These are fantastic films. They create memorable characters, and a script that is so tight, that you can't really complain about it. I look at Nolan as the perfect modern director for someone wanting to get into film. Especially someone like myself. He co-writes all of his scripts with his brother, and I know that one of them (not sure which one) has an English degree, which is shown in all of his scripts so well. He does well in every area, and some people may not be sold on him but I haven't been disappointed by Nolan. Not once. I have all of his films on DVD (except TDK as of right now) and they are all films that I wouldn't trade for anything. Plus, his films are almost always complete. There's little editing done to them, and no need for an unrated or extended cut. Much like all of the directors on my list.

3. Martin Scorsese - Yeah this is a really mainstream list, but tough shit. Scorsese has a bit of realism that I truly love, and he mixes it with a sort of epicness that a lot of directors strive very hard to accomplish. The best thing about Marty is his vision. He sees an idea and there are no limits to what he'll do. He's gritty, and savage at times, but he can be honorable and yet still disturbing. That's what i love about his films like Goodfellas and The Departed. Sure there are some that are not that effective - Gangs of New York - but for every once of those there's one that totally leaves you speechless - Taxi Driver - and I think that's what I enjoy most about Scorsese. He's a fantastic director, and while he tends to stay in the same pool as his other films, the times he does venture out are still just as good as his others - like the Aviator. I also love that he cherishes the stories. Look at his two remakes - Cape Fear and the Departed. he maintains the credibility of the originals, and improves upon them, but makes them totally separate entities. Cape Fear was done 30 years after the original and De Niro was nominated for an Oscar for it! For a character already established! That's impressive.

4. David Fincher - Starting to get more into the obscure. I think David Fincher is underrated. He doesn't go for films that are going to tug at your heart. he goes for the disturbing. The gritty, underbelly of the world. Films like Fight Club and even Zodiac point out societal disturbances that some try very hard to grasp but ultimately fail at. Fincher uses little special effects really, but he creates eerie situations that are impossible to escape it seems. In Zodiac the death scenes are handled so wonderfully because he puts you in a strange situation. The idea of a murder is not a happy thing, but he cascades it with classic rock that you can identify with. much like Kubrick did in Clockwork Orange as Malcolm McDowell belts out "Singin in the Rain" as he abuses a man on the floor. That's great marriage on the screen of music and action, that you can't ignore. I think 2008 will be Finchers year as he pairs with Brad Pitt again and they produce quite possibly the defining moment for both - the Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

5. Quentin Tarantino - Rounding out my top five directors is the biggest geek on Earth. I might get some flack for my list but honestly, Tarantino brought the independent film into the spot light and influenced a nation of noobs. Finding out that this guy was a massive tool in high school and never went to college, people started thinking differently. Plus, with the success of Pulp Fiction, the world was introduced to different techniques with storytelling (though he wasn't the first!). What I enjoy most about Tarantino is probably the extended shots. His angles are different and I like that. In Pulp Fiction, he follows Bruce Willis (Butch) all the way through like 4 backyards. Why? Once again, its a sort of realism that he captures, and while its not important to the story, it catches the character in a moment that typical filmmakers wouldn't dare tread. He takes all of his influences too and pays homage to them, which I like. Some don't like that and consider it "stealing" but I consider the fact that Tarantino is quite vocal about who he's influenced by and gives credit whenever interviewed, i see it more as an honor than a curse really. To date, the only film of his that I don't care too much for is Jackie Brown, but its not awful. Its just not my favorite. His best is Pulp Fiction followed by Reservoir Dogs and the Kill Bill series to me.

There are others that I do enjoy but they aren't nearly as consistent (in my eyes) as these five (technically six). Now your turn whores.

Duckman

1.  The Coen Brothers.  Tim is spot on with everything he said about Joel and Ethan.  Without a doubt they have had more impact on cinema and my enjoyment of it than any other writer or director I can think of.  No Country For Old Men is stunning.  Fargo is genius.  The Big Lebowski is probably my favourite film.  Miller’s Crossing makes the hairs on my neck stand up every time.   Even The Man Who Wasn’t There is full of great moments and tributes to Film Noir.  O’Brother Where Out There is just classic farce.  They’ve covered so many genres and nailed each one better than those who came before them.  If these two make a film, I’m there, simple as that.

2.  David Fincher.  The only director going at the moment who can make a thriller truly thrilling.  Seven was his best film, but Fight Club is the one that grabbed the headlines.  I love both and thought Zodiac was right up there.  I love the shots he uses, going down through buildings, the brilliant over head shots he uses in Zodiac and the ear he has for music and image is great.  I can’t imagine the end scene of Fight Club with any other song apart from Where Is My Mind?  I didn’t really ‘get’ Flightplan, but something tells me he had to do that to get Zodiac made.  A great film maker who’s style stands out due to the class he has.

3.  Danny Boyle.  Trainspotting is one of my favourite books and I didn’t think there’d be any way to bring the chaos and insanity in that book into a movie, but Boyle did it.  He captured the ‘cold turkey’ scenes amazingly and made THE iconic 90’s British film.  I thought 28 Days Later was a great piece of horror work, with some great scenes â€" especially the empty London shots at the beginning.  I really liked Sunshine as well, thought it was visually stunning.  The Beach was alright too.

4.  Stanley Kubric.  The daddy.  Not much else to say really, if you don’t know who he is or what he does, you deserve a slap in the face.

5.  Francis Ford Coppola.  The Godfather trilogy plus Apocalypse Now=genius. 

Also give mentions to Tarantino and Sam Mendes.  Completely different styles and they make movies that are polar opposites, but I'd go to see anything they make.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Jay

1. The Wachowski Brothers
2. Kevin Smith
3. Christopher Nolan
4. Judd Apatow
5. Quintin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez