News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Favorite New Shows this season?

Started by Gary, November 06, 2011, 01:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebel Child

Freshmen Comedies:

Suburgatory - I believe this is an ABC hit (I found it on Hulu), and in my opinion it -is- a hit.  It has the comedy, the snarkiness of a teenager (without being over the top annoying), the cariacture of what it is like to live in the suburbs, and a single father trying to navigate his way down the highway of dealing with a teenage daughter on his own.  Top bonus points because Alan Tudyk (from Firefly/Serenity fame) is in it, and definitely puts the icing on the cake.

The New Girl - I miss Coach who was in the pilot episode - however, the show still holds me to this day.  I actually laughed at the most recent episode on Hulu (8 day delay ugh), which is rare for comedies for me.  However this one did it, as has Suburgatory (see above)

Freshman girly show - I don't really know how to classify it to be perfectly honest, but Hart of Dixie is right there.  I never really watched the OC, or whatever show Rachel Bilson was on, but I'm enjoying her as an actress as well as the other actors that are involved.  Namely the Scott Porter who played Jason Street in Friday Night Lights (and a few other shows), and Cress Williams who was -also- in Friday Night Lights but I know him best from ER.  The setting is I swear from Gilmore Girls, but it's another one of those 'transplant' shows.  Girl from the big city ends up a tiny town in the South. It's heartwarming in a sense.

Freshman Serial - Prime Suspect.  Now I know that there is a BBC show of the same name and no one can hold a candle to Helen Mirren, but it's not supposed to be a bastardized version (much like Skins and Almost Human US knock offs), it's supposed to be inspired by the BBC show, and a re-telling.  The premise is somewhat the same, a female detective trying to break the glass ceiling in a world full of men.  However, Maria Bello who is also from ER alum does very well in this role and I enjoy it. 

Against the Wall.  It's on Lifetime, which might discredit it somewhat for some people, however I enjoy it.  It's about a Chicago Irish Catholic Family with a ton of boys plus one daughter who are all cops. (It seems vaguely familiar to me for some reason ahem).  The cast in my opinion is studded with fabulous actors and actresses, one of the reasons why I checked it out is that it has Rachel Carpani from McLeod's Daughters in her first lead in an Americna role, as she's Australian.  I loved McLeod's Daughters, and since the other actor from that show (Mathew Passmore) has jumped across the pond and has done such a fantastic job on the Glades, I had to check it out.  It also has Treat Williams and Kathy Baker in it. 

Freshman Cooking Challenge - Sweet Genius.  It's on Food Network and holds the same formula as Chopped (where contestants have to cook with mandatory ingredients in three rounds), but it also adds the extra bonus of an 'inspiration' item which has to be seen in the final product.  I'm not a dessert maker, however, there's just something about watching someone having to use huge ass ostrich eggs, curry powder (or was it marsala?), and use the inspiration a unicorn that is rather engrossing.  Heinous if you're a competitor, compelling if you're a viewer.

And that's that for Freshman tv shows.

However, big shout outs to returning seasons of: The Glades, Drop Dead Diva, and The Sing Off.

Rob.B

Just saw the first episode of American Horror Story, looks like a really good show, looking forward to see where they go with it.

Rob

I watched about 10 minutes of American Horror Story and was really, really intrigued. Found it fresh and interesting but unfortunately I didnt have time to watch it all but will definitely be adding it to the schedule

EDIT: i also watched Up All Night pilot but gave up because after 15 minutes I wondered to myself whether it was a sitcom or not as i had yet to laugh
SixersEagles

[/center]

Black Death

Quote from: Rebel Child on November 08, 2011, 01:06:29 AM

Freshman Cooking Challenge - Sweet Genius.  It's on Food Network and holds the same formula as Chopped (where contestants have to cook with mandatory ingredients in three rounds), but it also adds the extra bonus of an 'inspiration' item which has to be seen in the final product.  I'm not a dessert maker, however, there's just something about watching someone having to use huge ass ostrich eggs, curry powder (or was it marsala?), and use the inspiration a unicorn that is rather engrossing.  Heinous if you're a competitor, compelling if you're a viewer.

I like this show , I love the way the host talks and the stuff that he throws at them if funny and intriguing . The looks on there faces as some of the stuff comes rolling down the conveyor belt is priceless.

really love hell on wheels... think amc got another hit on there hands. AmC knows how to do western period shows

need to check out Once Upon a Time...
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Watched Hell on Wheels...I AM GOING TO LOVE THIS SHOW! Terra Nova saw the first two episodes and thought it was pretty crap, but will give it a few more.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Midas

Okay lets see...

Two Broke Girls...
     Girlfriend put it on the DVR for recording but I still gave it a try and I have to say that this show is just all kinds of funny and is quickly growing to be one of my favs of the season.

Terra Nova
      I have loved the show Chuck for all of its seasons but I found it as one of my shows on my DVR that I would always wait till the last minute to watch adn Terra Nova is becoming that show for me... I never want to watch it but when I do I am happy I did... Either way I would  not be devastated if it was canceled...

Man Up
     Gave it a chance and I am still watching because it has it's moments but not exactly a show that I really care much about...

Last Man Standing
     Love Tim Allen but didn't like this show, I gave it like 3 episodes then finally canceled the recording of it...

New Girl
      Great show with lots of laughs and a hot Indian supermodel to boot...

American Horror Story
      Love this show but I am wondering if it has staying power...

Grimm
      I have not watched it yet but it is on my DVR and I hear good things..

Boss
      Watched the first episode and thought it looked good and since I live in Chicago and it is based off a "Daley-esque" type of mayor ruling the city with a iron fist I think I will keep watching.

Once upon a time
      Honestly watched it with the Girlfriend to spend some time with her but I find the show to be very interesting and worth the watch...

Homeland
     Claire Danes looks tore up but I love this show and am a huge fan of Damian Lewis from his role on Band of Brothers and Life...

Hell on Wheels
     On the DVR waiting for a little free time to watch it...

I believe that is it...

Gary

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Rebel Child

Quote from: Midas on November 09, 2011, 07:49:00 PM
Last Man Standing
     Love Tim Allen but didn't like this show, I gave it like 3 episodes then finally canceled the recording of it...

This is how I felt about Last Man Standing as well, but you were more giving than I was - I couldn't even get through the first episode.  I was hoping that it would be good because like you, I love Tim Allen, I just couldn't get into it.

Midas

Quote from: Rebel Child on November 09, 2011, 09:02:59 PM
This is how I felt about Last Man Standing as well, but you were more giving than I was - I couldn't even get through the first episode.  I was hoping that it would be good because like you, I love Tim Allen, I just couldn't get into it.

I almost gave up in the middle of the first episode but I stuck with it and the end of the first episode made me give it a few more tries...

Rob

Quote from: Midas on November 09, 2011, 07:49:00 PM
Okay lets see...

Two Broke Girls...
     Girlfriend put it on the DVR for recording but I still gave it a try and I have to say that this show is just all kinds of funny and is quickly growing to be one of my favs of the season.

Terra Nova
      I have loved the show Chuck for all of its seasons but I found it as one of my shows on my DVR that I would always wait till the last minute to watch adn Terra Nova is becoming that show for me... I never want to watch it but when I do I am happy I did... Either way I would  not be devastated if it was canceled...

Man Up
     Gave it a chance and I am still watching because it has it's moments but not exactly a show that I really care much about...

Last Man Standing

New Girl
      Great show with lots of laughs and a hot Indian supermodel to boot...

American Horror Story
      Love this show but I am wondering if it has staying power...

Grimm
      I have not watched it yet but it is on my DVR and I hear good things..

Boss
      Watched the first episode and thought it looked good and since I live in Chicago and it is based off a "Daley-esque" type of mayor ruling the city with a iron fist I think I will keep watching.

Once upon a time
      Honestly watched it with the Girlfriend to spend some time with her but I find the show to be very interesting and worth the watch...

Homeland
     Claire Danes looks tore up but I love this show and am a huge fan of Damian Lewis from his role on Band of Brothers and Life...

Hell on Wheels
     On the DVR waiting for a little free time to watch it...

I believe that is it...

Wow... how American of you. Hannah Simone, who plays Cece, is English and Canadian...
SixersEagles

[/center]

Marq

Quote from: Rob on November 10, 2011, 08:31:59 AM
Wow... how American of you. Hannah Simone, who plays Cece, is English and Canadian...

Wow... how English of you.

QuoteI’m a multi-ethnic person so I think most people are surprised by any part of the puzzle. My father is Indian, my mother is half German-Italian and half Greek-Cypriot. More people are surprised by where I grew up! Saudi Arabia, Cyprus, India, England and Canada isn’t a normal answer to that question.

Full interview: http://www.openchest.com/oc-in-print/actress-hannah-simone/

Chill out with shit like that, for real. You'll live longer.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Now that we have successfully re-inacted the basketball scene from American History X...

I am now on course to give 'Boss' a go as well as I think it looks like my type of show.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Midas

Quote from: Potato Hater on November 10, 2011, 03:25:17 PM
Now that we have successfully re-inacted the basketball scene from American History X...

I am now on course to give 'Boss' a go as well as I think it looks like my type of show.

Yeah it caught my eye and I plan on catching up tonight on the episodes I missed...

Quote from: Rob on November 10, 2011, 08:31:59 AM

Yeah I was not trying to be "American" I read a article (Not the one Marq posted) that described her nationality on her fathers side as Indian and her mother as a mixture so for the sake of not having to look for the article again I simply referred to her as "Indian" because it made the most sense...

Kind of messed up how you take your hatred for Americans and use any opportunity to blast us in any way shape or form... Not worth a argument ofcourse but just not cool at all IMO...

Now please excuse me as I go and shave my head and get a swastika tattooed on my chest so I can later reflect on my misspent youth while taking a shower and holding my hand to the tattoo, looking at myself in the mirror with regret written all over my face...

Gary

[forum leader hat on] calm it down bitches[/forum leader hat off]

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Black Death

Quote from: Gary on November 10, 2011, 05:24:48 PM
[forum leader hat on] calm it down bitches[/forum leader hat off]

Nice hat
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"