News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

OUT OF CHARACTER BOARD

Started by Ian "Wolfie" Trumps, May 04, 2012, 10:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flins.

How far ahead are draft picks traded in the NBA?

Captain Metro

Quote from: TimBucktuo on August 23, 2015, 01:59:45 PM
So.

I'm throwing this out there, I understand that it might not be popular or even have a use but I want to throw an idea out there. Since we now keep track of our own picks, perhaps looking into having a couple seasons into the future of draft picks to keep track of would be possible. Like, have people build their teams longer term and whatnot.

As someone who trades draft picks religiously I am vehemently against this. People changes teams so often that you would cripple the future GM's chances if you ever got fired.

Haters gonna hate. Just win baby!

Quote"I'm like Disneyland - overpriced as shit but everyone leaves happy!"

GM Jimmy Gooch

Quote from: Captain Metro on August 23, 2015, 02:07:30 PM
As someone who trades draft picks religiously I am vehemently against this. People changes teams so often that you would cripple the future GM's chances if you ever got fired.

+1

GM Jimmy Gooch

It's bad enough I'm stuck with the horrible contracts of the coaching staff. I'm paying $24mm in PR for my coaching staff and have non say in it. So if a guy wanted to ruin his team's future just sign his coach to a 10 year $20mm deal and bolt.

J-Reb

Quote from: Flins. on August 23, 2015, 02:05:43 PM
How far ahead are draft picks traded in the NBA?

There aren't any limitations but there are rules on how often you can trade your first round picks.

GM Jimmy Gooch

Quote from: J-Reb on August 23, 2015, 02:18:22 PM
There aren't any limitations but there are rules on how often you can trade your first round picks.

A.K.A. The Cleveland rule from the 80's and 90's.

Flins.

Fair enough. I agree with Metro personally, there is far too much transition with players and GM's for it to really be a viable option.

TimBucktuo

Unrelated, we should have a gm compensation when they jump ship.

Captain Metro

Quote from: TimBucktuo on August 23, 2015, 02:29:46 PM

Mike Powers

Quote from: Flins. on August 23, 2015, 02:22:50 PM
Fair enough. I agree with Metro personally, there is far too much transition with players and GM's for it to really be a viable option.

Flins.

I think there might be something in place for that, in terms of GM reputation and what not. If you relate it to success as a GM, the guys sticking with the one team for extended periods and not shift around as much are statistically more successful. There are a few exceptions, but they are usually with the GM's that aren't getting fired.

Captain Metro

FYI - my response was not agreement with TyTy, but speechless at the suggestion.

Gravedigger

What do you mean?

Mike Powers

Don't worry, it's just LOLTY

The TeeJ of Philly

Quote from: Gravedigger on August 23, 2015, 03:39:31 PM
What do you mean?

That the team who GM leaves doesn't get trapped.

Basically there's players that can't leave.

But it's a dumb idea. Everytime it happens, the GM tends to get back to where they left. Look at Baton Rouge a year later