News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

FBL EDITORIALS

Started by T-Bonizzle, March 28, 2013, 10:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bonizzle

better than digging through the OOC topic. (Though someone should dig for direct links of past editorials from various peoples so I can put them in an archive in the OP)

Archives
Best of FBL: Point Guards

T-Bonizzle

FBL Analytics Season 12

Time for Pre-Season Team Grades! Just remember FBL-Universe, this column came first and all the others are just copycats! We're gonna spice it up a little bit this year. We spent hundreds of man-hours to compile these following analysis and while I personally made a lot of money, our interns were unpaid.

First off, the empirical list of draft grades. I slaved over a room for of interns to get this done. Commissioner Trumps needs to stop adding teams! Can you believe when I started this there was only 10 teams? I should get a bigger commission. (and I do!)

Kentucky - 2.81
Las Vegas - 2.66
Puerto Rico - 2.65
Virginia - 2.63
Anchorage - 2.56
Texas - 2.50
Mississippi - 2.47
Seattle - 2.41
Roswell - 2.41
Montana - 2.34
Providence - 2.31
Tampa Bay - 2.31
Hollywood - 2.28
Boston - 2.25
San Diego - 2.19
Boise - 2.16
Birmingham - 2.16
Wyoming - 2.16
Honolulu - 2.09
Pittsburgh - 2.06

Compared to Season 11, the league average is basically the same. At 2.37 this year it's statistically the same as last year's 2.38.  Which is good news for the league, that means the level of play this year won't get worse. Get those ticket sales going!

Kentucky now has the best team statistically ever assembled scoring 2.81. This beats Puerto Rico from Season 10 and Texas from Season 8. No team even comes close making the World Champions heavy favorites. But...the favorites have never won the Championship before so I'd caution the parties that are happening all over Kentucky right now. But without Marcus Wear dragging Puerto Rico down, and he's dragging them down far, Puerto Rico has the best 7-man roster in the league by a long shot. For the season league year in a row, Pittsburgh is the worst team that has been put together. And for the 7th season in a row, the East is statistically tougher than the west. Mississippi who sits 5th in the East, missing the playoffs, would be sitting 3rd and making the playoffs in the West.

Now we're gonna go team by team and briefly talk about each one.

#1 Kentucky - Kentucky tops the league with perhaps the best team set on paper. Season 12 is Kentucky's to lose. But if Kentucky can win again they'll pass Seattle and Las Vegas with 4 Championships to their franchise. Still this may be Kentucky's last shot for awhile. It's likely GM Hondo will have to restructure the team for next season. Winning Championships comes with a price, and that price is MONEY. Prediction: Wins the East.

#2 Las Vegas - After spending a year outside the playoffs for the first time in team history, GM Dorling came in last season and made Las Vegas a playoff team once again. Las Vegas remains unchanged, and compared to last year is about the same. Still, Vegas is an aging team fielding the oldest team in the league. Like Kentucky this might be the last chance Vegas has at a Championship before Dorling will be forced to make some tough decisions. Rumors surrounding Eddie Lights retiring are starting to gain traction. Prediction: Wins the West.

#3 Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico did something extraordinary in Season 10, keeping the FBL Championship away from the dynasties of the FBL and looking to continue what Virginia started the season before. It was not meant to be. Puerto Rico comes back this season looking better than ever, as GM Justin managed to coax Larry Stevens out of retirement to have the future Hall of Famer chase a ring one more time. Stevens reentry in the league makes him an early pre-season pick as 6th man of the year. But like Kentucky GM Justin might have some money problems next season, so their time has to be now. Prediction: Conference Finals.

#4 Virginia - The best four teams in the league jockey for position, but under GM Jon Virginia missed the playoffs for the first time in team history. Despite team stars Hallmark and Danberry, the supporting cast around them is pretty average. If there is any team in danger of collapsing it's GM Shields' Colonials. The East is getting tougher around them and Virginia is largely staying the same. Prediction: Makes the playoffs.

#5 Anchorage - Rebel's Glaciers have the distinction of being the most improved team compared to last season. They've improved in all areas and look to be a tough shutdown defensive team. Plus, Rebel's love affair with Gary Boldeer gets to blossom once again. Prediction: Conference Finals.

#6 Texas - Texas remains largely unchanged from last season. GM Strike has largely kept his core from last season intact. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your point of view all of Texas' success or failures is on the shoulders of JJ Rogers because there is no one else. Prediction: Makes playoffs.

#7 Mississippi - Mike Powers essentially brings last year's Boise team to Mississippi with one exception, Krease McCool. So we're comparing this team to Boise last year and there is much improvement. If there is one team on the outside looking to break in, it's Mississippi. Prediction: Challenge for playoffs.

#8 Seattle - Seattle made another finals appearances last season, surprising many analytics fans, as they statistically had one of the least talented team, as evidence by GM Domingo parting ways with 4 players. Still, Seattle improved immensely with its new players and shoots up the rankings. Now it's just a matter of the rest of the west being better than not. With no true 'superstar' players on the team and plenty of cap space, Seattle is certainly on the rise and if not this season, next season they could start getting Championships again. Prediction: Makes playoffs.

#9 Roswell - Roswell regresses a little bit this season compared to last. Roswell is another team in this league that seems to exceed expectations with no true 'superstar' player on the team. They've got some solid players like Martin and Rivers, but then they've got some questionable players like Brown and Ferndale. With the West really close at the 3rd and 4th place positions, Roswell could find themselves out if they can't shore up their obvious holes. Prediction: Challenges for Playoffs.

#10 Montana - The Bears have had a lot of success these past few seasons. They take a small step back this season because their bench isn't as strong as it was in season's past. Montana still has a pension to dominate other teams as Dallas and Fraizer are point for point the best big man pair in the league, and Montana will need to ride them. Prediction: Makes the Playoffs.

#11 Providence - Providence slots in here in the middle of the pack like last season. Providence really hasn't improved enough to break into the upper crust of the East, and compared to last year might not as be good. Providence continues to have holes in all positions not occupied by Cunningham and Apollo. Prediction: Finishes .500

#12 Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay comes in this season on the cusp of something that could work in the future. GM Cory has finally given Leighton Lee players he can pass the ball to. Still, mediocre defense and a mediocre bench and some unproven coaching will probably keep Tampa Bay away from the playoffs, though they may end up being better off than Providence when the season ends.  Prediction: Finishes .500

#13 Hollywood - In an effort to improve the team GM Jen might have set Hollywood backwards. While Hollywood has some young talent and the ability to score, they continue to be haunted by their height issues and has bet the farm on a young PG to fill the hole Maverick Peters left at SG. Prediction: Finishes .500

#14 Boston - Boston has by far been the team that has regressed the most from Season 11, and that's a loaded thing to say considering they finished last in the East. Still GM Stoner intends to field six rookies and while there are some talented guys which inflates their grade, the lack of discipline and experience is going to cause the team to struggle. Prediction: Finish Bottom of Division.

#15 San Diego - GM Jon's attempt at building his own team has made San Diego statistically better of the two expansion teams, though not by much. San Diego features a future superstar in Cam Drake, who is surrounded by a bunch of role players and a less than mediocre bench. Still with the relative weakness of the West San Diego has the potential to preform above where they should. Prediction: Finishes .500

#16 Boise - The next three teams are nearly identical and only the strength of their coaching separates them. GM TyTy has basically taken his Mississippi team to Boise in a complete swap with GM Powers. In compared to last season Boise takes a step back. And while this team had some early success as the Steamers, they struggled once the rest of the league got together. Boise has the opportunity to break even but not much else. Prediction: Finishes under .500

#17 Birmingham - The other expansion team, GM Bone has put together a team that has a starting line-up that can do their jobs, but a bench that is mediocre at best. This team probably more than any other team is average at just about everything and will struggle against teams that can either score in bunches or shut down the side. If not for the East being so tough they might have fared better out West. Prediction: Finishes under .500

#18 Wyoming - Once again not much changes in Wyoming from last season. While Wyoming fields three good players in Mason, McCarty, and Kurtz, the lack of talent around them completely drags this team down. Coupled with some unproven coaching and a slightly insane GM, Wyoming is in trouble. GM Death will probably have to rebuild this team next season because he doesn't have the budget to continue to afford these high contracts. Prediction: Bottom of the Division.

#19 Honolulu - GM Franchise might be singing his praises that he didn't put together the statistically worst team in the league in his return to the FBL. Franchise has mixed some of his old tricks with a few good decisions. Bringing in Kolo Rolo was smart, and if he can start rebuilding his image in the FBL he might be able to start building Honolulu. They'll probably bottom out the league but as long as he starts learning from his mistakes maybe Honolulu can...nope, I can't finish that sentence and hope to keep any credibility I have as an analyzer. Prediction: Bottom of the Division.

#20 Pittsburgh - For the 2nd season in a row GM Libre has assembled the worst team in the league statistically, though they may be better off than Honolulu. Still Pittsburgh suffers with the inability of having anyone who can score points on a consistent basis and in bunches. They will definitely struggle this season and until Pittsburgh can get some players with the ability to score they won't do well. Prediction: Bottom of the Division.

Off the broken fingers of interns and such we are done. Thanks for tuning in and stuff.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Yeah would be nice to ask before you starting creating threads...
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Hondo

Quote from: Trumpers on March 29, 2013, 07:52:55 AM
Yeah would be nice to ask before you starting creating threads...

Well poo on you too.

:)

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Strike

FBL Mailbag Archives:

FBL Mailbag X7
FBL Mailbag X8

And now taking questions for Mailbag "19." Shoot them over on the PM's.

Cory

Lucky 7: Rookie Breakdown Week 1

So, as part of my anger management rehabilitation I have been advised to part-take in the growing number of "editorials" done by other GM's in the FBL to better show those in the FBL that I'm working on being a level-headed general manager and that I can interact with YOU, the FBL fans.

With that being said, I was asked to breakdown the rookies that I thought best showcased their talents week one here in the FBL, and who better to talk about rookies than the best drafting GM in the game. I've had my failures in prospects as has every GM, but no one has hit more "home-runs" than myself. Hate to toot my own horn, but toot toot. Season 6 I took James Cross who thought we had issues, a fantastic PG for Virginia now, I drafted Hans Stimar in Season 7 who was over-looked by everyone and was a steal and darkhorse ROTY, Season 8 you guys were lucky I didn't have any picks, Season 9 Troy Marshall when everyone told me to take Ty Williams, now Troy is the best player in the league, Dave Kradle in the same draft was 6th man of the year and I got him in the 2nd round, Season 10 was the worst draft everyone had no-one outside of the top 5 was worth a damn, Season 11 I traded up to get Reggie Jones who over-looked by many finished 2nd in ROTY voting, and this season look who did it again? Malcolm Hayes ladies and gentleman.

Now that i've ran out of breathe tooting my own horn, lets look at my Lucky 7 rookies of week 1.

First we'll start with the #1 overall pick Cam Drake out in San Diego.
v/s Glaciers: 16pts, 3rb, 7ast, 0blk, 1st
v/s Wolves: 18pts, 2rb, 8ast, 0blk, 2stl

-- Very good opening week for the Duke product. Against the Glaciers intimidating defense he still managed a fantastic stat line, and showed why he was the 1st overall pick. For a rookie to have that type of game v/s guys like Chachenko and Huir damn. Against the wolves I would have expected a LITTLE more but that was a close game and he still produced....Drake is going to be a top 5 PG in the league for years to come. I'm just glad I have his assistant from Duke on my staff to help me slow him down.

---

Next up we have Leon Dreams, the #2 pick in the draft playing for the Green Hornets. We played him this week and he's a very dangerous player. Its a shame the team around him is lacking, but GM Bone outside of his terrorist antics is a smart GM in my book and will have that franchise turned around in a season or two. Now lets look at his stat line against us and the Blades.

v/s Blades: 14pts, 12rb, 0ast, 0blk, 0stl
v/s Dragons: 14pts, 9rb, 0ast, 1blk, 0stl

Its hard to judge Leon just because of the team around him....but scoring big men are a dime a dozen in the FBL and I think GM Bone got himself a franchise player. If he can keep Dreams happy, then Birmingham's dream of not finishing last this season stays alive.

--

Bringing us to the #3 overall pick, Sy Rogers for the Boise Spuds. I really liked Sy in this draft and I think after a season or two of him maturing into this league and Boise continuing to add talent his play will grow, much like the franchise. Now lets look at his stat line

v/s Stars: 17pts, 2rb, 1ast, 0blk, 0stl
v/s Aliens: 18pts, 1rb, 2ast, 0blk, 0stl

Again, top 3 pick numbers here. All of the high drafted guys don't have "draft bust" tag hanging over their heads. Spuds are still a developing franchise and the Stars and especially the Aliens aren't two push-over teams in this league and he managed a fantastic first week. Much like Dreams tho, I think the lack of talent around him will hinder his development a bit, Rogers isn't a guy who can really be the main face of a franchise just yet, but give him a season or two....

---

Next up we'll talk about Washington Owens. A little under the radar coming into the draft, and GM Stoner got himself one hell of a player judging from week 1. Lets look at the stat line:

v/s Diamonds: 16pts, 1rb, 9ast, 0blk, 1stl
v/s Hayseeds: 12pts, 2rb, 18ast, 0blk, 2stl

The first game against the Diamonds was a really good showing, but damn....18 assists against the Hayseeds? That game was crazy enough, the fact that Owens was able to dish the rock to his teammates..erm, Blair Smith, was impressive. Everyone thought it was Owens and Holly, but its all about Owens and Smith. I look forward to our matchup with the Bells this season, but to see how our 3 headed serpent can match up with Owens and Smith. But I was VERY impressed with Owens.

---

Ok, now everyone knows about Tim McDonald right? For a Blades team that I can't really define as a "good" or "bad" team on paper, McDonald looks to be a steal for GM Libre. Lets look at the stats:

v/s Green Hornets: 14pts, 3rb, 4ast, 0blk, 1stl
v/s Stallions: 15pts, 5rb, 6ast, 0blk, 2stl

Well look at that? Pretty impressive for a guy who was pretty much overlooked, including myself. The LSU product is playing with a little chip on his shoulder this season, and if McDonald and Jackson can continue to perform, the Blades MAY upset some of the more competitive teams here in the FBL. In a 6th man role at that.... GM Libre may want to look at getting him starting minutes.

---

Next, CC Ale of the Seattle Toppers. I swear GM Domingo hacked into my business phone, stealing Vernon Nelson out right from under me, and taking CC Ale. If Malcolm Hayes was taken before we were on the clock, CC Ale was our number two pick. A steal in this draft, lets look at his stat line:

v/s Aliens: 11pts, 1rb, 5ast, 0blk, 2stl
v/s Glaciers: 14pts, 3rb, 5ast, 0blk, 3stl

Seattles 6th man played huge this week against two tough teams here in the FBL. I can tell who I like more between him and McDonald after week 1, but I look forward to seeing these guys battle every week for the tag of "best rookie 6th man". Ale has a bright future ahead of him and can pick up tips from Chico and Harding.

--

Finally, we're onto my project....the steal of the draft Malcolm Hayes. I knew teams we're going to overlook him because hes out of a smaller college in Washington....but doesnt a player from a small college who turned out to be an amazing rookie talent ring a bell? *cough* Dave Kradle *cough*. Hayes and the "3 headed serpent" here in Tampa better have the league on watch. Lets admire this stat lines:

v/s Stallions: 18pts, 1rb, 5ast, 0blk, 1stl
v/s Green Hornets: 26pts, 4rb, 3ast, 2blk, 2stl

Damn, do I know how to pick them or what? Hayes/Jones/Lee is only going to get stronger and stronger, and with Coach Maurice Mays pulling the strings....we're going to set the league on fire. I think Hayes v/s Green Hornets and Washington Owens v/s Hayseeds were the two dominate performances of week 1 and here are the rankings after the first week, taking from week 1 averages for my "Lucky 7" rookies.

---

2. Cam Drake (Seagulls) 17.5pts
2. Sy Rogers (Spuds) 17.5pts
4. Tim McDonald (Blades) 14.5pts
5. Washington Owens (Bells) 14pts
5. Leon Dreams (Green Hornets) 14pts

Rebounds:
1. Leon Dreams (Green Hornets) 10.5rbs
2. Tim McDonald (Blades) 4rbs
3. Malcolm Hayes (Dragons) 2.5rbs
3. Cam Drake (Seagulls) 2.5rbs
5. CC Ale (Toppers) 2rbs

Assists:
1. Washington Owens (Bells) 13.5ast
2. Cam Drake (Seagulls) 7.5ast
3. CC Ale (Toppers) 5ast
4. Tim McDonald (Blades) 5ast
5. Malcolm Hayes (Dragons) 4ast

Blocks:
1. Malcolm Hayes (Dragons) 1blk
2. Leon Dreams (Green Hornets) 0.5blk
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. N/A

Steals:

1. CC Ale (Toppers) 2.5stl
2. Washington Owens (Bells) 1.5stl
2. Malcolm Hayes (Dragons) 1.5stl
2. Tim McDonald (Blades) 1.5stl
5. N/A

You can form your own opinion on who had the best overall performance, but I think this year will be the closest rookie of the year race in FBL history.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

J-Reb

Best of FBL: Shooting Guards
Season 12

1. Eddie Lights (Las Vegas Aces) - Composite Score: 15.4
2. Joe Harding (Seattle Toppers) - Composite Score: 15.3
3. Krease McCool (Mississippi Steamers) - Composite Score: 14.6
4. Damore Richards (Puerto Rico Waves) - Composite Score: 13.9
5. Mason Griffin (Wyoming Timberwolves) - Composite Score: 13.1
6. Blair Smith (Boston Bells) - Composite Score: 10.3
7. Sunshine Stream (Hollywood Stars) - Composite Score: 9.8
7. Thomas Morgan (Kentucky Hayseeds) - Composite Score: 9.8
9. Sean Rivers (Roswell Aliens) - Composite Score: 9.6
10. Bolak Huir (Anchorage Glaciers) - Composite Score: 8.7

Much like the PG position, there aren't a whole lot of surprises near the top.  Harding is pushing Eddie Lights for the top SG in all of the FBL, and it's only a matter of time, IMO.  Krease McCool is on the up-and-up, however, I'd imagine the revolving door at the GM position has really hurt his development.  Richards, Griffin and Smith are guys who can really score, meanwhile, guys like Morgan and Rivers are steady, if not unspectacular.  I was surprised to see Sunshine get a spot in the top-10 due to his conditioning issues, but he really proved his worth.

I think in these types of rankings, guys like Bolak Huir and Kolo Rolo really are undervalued.  There isn't any way to effectively measure either one because of their defensive prowess. 

The next five went like this - Chi Chi Gonzalez (Virginia: 8.4, Miles Peters (Texas; 8.4), Michael Free (San Diego; 7.2), Kolo Rolo (Honolulu; 6.5), and Michael Gray (Pittsburgh; 6.5).

Once again, I didn't include rookies.  There are essentially only two guys I can see cracking this list over the next few seasons: Sy Rogers of Boise and Malcolm Hayes of Tampa Bay.  Both guys have the potential to land in the top-10, with some saying that Hayes might have been the steal of the draft.  Rogers seems like he has some natural leadership ability, with reports coming out last week that he's trying to ease his way in to the limelight, rather than taking over the helm from day one.

Among back-up SG's, San Diego's Paul Wheeter (2.7) and Seattle's Kris Keys (2.9) finished with the worst overall scores in our analysis.  Wheeter is San Diego's second player to finish near the bottom of our lists.

Finally, here's how we'd rank the SG's of the FBL in tiers:

Tier 1
Eddie Lights - Las Vegas
Joe Harding - Seattle
Krease McCool - Mississippi

Tier 2
Damore Richards - Puerto Rico
Mason Griffin - Wyoming
Blair Smith - Boston

Tier 3
Sunshine Stream - Hollywood
Thomas Morgan - Kentucky
Sean Rivers - Roswell
Bolak Huir - Anchorage
Malcolm Hayes - Tampa Bay
Chi Chi Gonzalez - Virginia
Miles Peters - Texas

Tier 4
Sy Rogers - Boise
Michael Free - San Diego
Kolo Rolo - Honolulu
Micah Grey - Pittsburgh
Billy Russell - Montana
Malik George - Birmingham

Tier 5
Randy Ferndale - Roswell
Roy Ferndale - Montana
Paul Wheeter - San Diego

GM Franchise

FBL Franchised, The Return

It's back, folks. GM Franchise here with some FBL Franchised. This isn't going to be the longest or best edition because I've got things to attend to. I've got players having mental trauma from being stupid. I've got my star player, one of the league's defensive maestros wanting to bolt from the team. I STILL haven't won a game either. Anyway let's get down to it.

-The Superleague now has teams in Toronto and Montral. I heard one is quiffy and the other wants a little bit of Rolo.

--Looks like there's a new Prince in Boise but I think they won't lose much Flash. I think Davis was partying and will lose his starting job to Prince. However GM TyTy might be in deeper shit than I was when I was there with his interviews. I heard my old boss Pu Ta To isn't happy. But then again he rarely is...

-Melvin Smarts doesn't like what he sees in Wyoming. Then again neither do the Germans with DaKool Fox being around. Fox is single handedly destroying this team in my opinion.

-The Aces are still rolling as are Lights and Shack. However how much longer can it last? Only time will tell.

-The Glaciers are the best defensive team in the league, sure, but they'll need more scoring to win a title. They did hold my team to 34 points but then again that's a Franchise team so...are you really surprised by that? I think not.

--My team is falling apart. Country Sampson almost fell into a volcano. Add to it my star player Kolo Rolo wants to leave for the Superleague, my team can't shoot for shit, and my coaches are...questionable. Yeah, I got problems but not as much as a few others despite the shit team.

-San Diego showed improvement without Fon LeBeuf under Gene Oakenfunk and with the rejuvenated Matt Foster. This is a team to watch.

-The Seeds are still a top level team but Jay Chill has seemingly been the headline for the Seeds news in the past two seasons. I can see why but yet I can't at the same time. He's a good player but not a spectacular one which might be why. Just a thought I had on this.

-Tim McDonald and the Blades are surprising people. With some teams out East falling apart the Blades might be an outside playoff contender.

-El Stingo isn't happy with GM Bone. This is not a good development at all. The fact El Stingo is pissed this early in a season and the coach is leaving doesn't bode well for Bone's future. I'm shocked at how bad this team is doing especially this past week. Hope things get better for them despite the fact that El Stingo ripped into me before I got hired in Honolulu.

-I LOVE JJ Rogers attitude. He has the right idea about how to look at this week and about the season. Looking forward to seeing how well this team does going forward.

Blair Smith wants out of Boston and his benching isn't going to go over well. Lot of turmoil in Boston right now. The fact the fans are picketing isn't good for the team. I've had that happen to me...more than once. Just saying.

-After seeing how the Steamers are doing with the bench revolt and the one win, I'm thinking GM Powers and company should've stayed out West. TOTALLY different team this season. At least the bench guys are making a stand for what they believe in but this team is screwed long term if the bench doesn't play.

-The Colonials are falling apart thanks to Duke Briscoe, Cross, and Chi Chi to the point where even Danberry is questioning the focus of the team which has never happened. They need to turn it around and fast to be competitive out East in my opinion.

-Djem Maluka's retirement and the fans reaction to is it well deserved. Like what is going on in Puerto Rico right now.

-The Dragons are the team watch out East. They have a dangerous line up and one of the best coaches in the league. They have really turned it around under GM Cory after near disaster earlier in his tenure with the team.

-Davis Newton was caught buying hookers and is threatening to reveal other players who have done the same. This should be fun to watch. Also Scott Cunningham is looking toward the Superleague. In other news their coach is back which should make them fun to watch again.

-The Aliens are looking good overall and Cal Roberts is exuding more sex appeal than Felix Johnson. Roberts is going to be a force in the FBL for a long time to come at this rate.

-Vernon Nelson got his ankle ran over by a slow moving truck. Truck...Truck? Yeah, obvious who did it. This is a disaster waiting to happen for GM Domingo. In fact, it already is considering the team lacks depth at PF and C. Not good for them long term.

-Sunshine Stream's first acting gig is in Canada. If I were GM Jen I'd be looking more into that considering there are two new Superleague teams in Canada and he might want to jump ship. Walls too. Just something to think about going forward.

-Rekov's home was burnt to the ground and I feel there's some Twin Magic involved because, let's face it. This is CLASSIC TWINS if you know what I mean. Bears are playing very good right now but they now have to deal with this.

Now to analyze the league, it seems like there's top level teams and bottom level teams. The only middle teams are the Gulls and the Blades. Everyone else is either good or a total mess. Several teams are a man down, some have management heat, and others are having player revolts. Right now the top of the league is the Aces, Seeds, Stallions, Waves, Dragons, Aliens, Stars, Bears, and Glaciers. The middle teams are the Gulls and Blades. The bottom teams are Wolves, Spuds, Toppers, Diamonds, Colonials, Bells, Steamers, Volcanoes, and Greenhornets. That's all for now.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Jon

POST WEEK 3 AWARD WATCH

MVP

1. Troy Marshall (Puerto Rico)
2. Redford Shack (Las Vegas)
3. JJ Rogers (Texas)
4. Kamil Bennett (Kentucky)
5. Scott Cunningham (Providence)

Defensive POTY

1. Mutu Mukwaza (Pittsburgh)
2. Bolak Huir (Anchorage)
3. Djem Maluka (Puerto Rico)
4. Lucic Chachenko (Anchorage)
5. Dennis Reigns (Mississippi)

6th Man
1. Tim McDonald (Pittsburgh)
2. Sunshine Stream (Hollywood)
3. Massimo Torre (Texas)
4. Pablo Hurtado (Birmingham)
5. James Cross (Virginia)

Rookie of the Year
1. Cam Drake (San Diego)
2. Tim McDonald (Pittsburgh)
3. Malcolm Hayes (Tampa Bay)
4. Sy Rogers (Boise)
5. Washington Owens (Boston)

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Strike

FBL-A-Palooza XIX: The Expansion Era V Edition
"The Superleague made us do it..."
By "That Strike Guy" on June 11, 2013

Good lord, it's been a while since we've last tangled with one of these. As usual in the world of the FBL, a lot of crazy things have happened: terrorists who really aren't terrorists bombing an entire new franchise in the Deep South (not literally), the Closeness Twins escaping jail, Vernon Nelson vs. Monster Trucks, CANADIAN BASKETBALL TEAMS!!!!, GM Jen caving in to public opinion, the Bells and TIT nearly interacting with one another before Blair Smith lost his smile, the East becoming the epic nightmare esque struggle for power it was predicted to become (with the West quietly continuing to be just as competitive), Kamil Bennett and Troy Marshall doing their best renditions of passive-aggressive combat, Marcus Wear meeting his Church of Biology makers, a Steamers bench that refuses to be moved from their seats, the Anchorage Glaciers becoming the new members of the Night's Watch and the fact Primo Pancho and I talk way too much wrestling for own goods.

And that's just scratching the tip of the iceberg. Therefore, we're quite overdue for some FBL Mailbag goodness. Of course, as always, these are actual e-mails from completely fictional (and delusional) readers.

Q: "It's around the 'I haven't written a Mailbag in a few months and would rather respond to e-mails than write a legitimate FBL column' time for you. Here's a question that needs a wider audience: Sausage-fest is to clambake as cock-block is to..."
—Christina, Buffalo, NY

TSG: First, you know me too well. Second, that's an easy answer, but probably offensive...which means I'm totally answering it here. The female equivalent of a cock block is a "boxout." Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

Q: "I am starting to get concerned with some of my favorite FBL players either getting signed by Europe or rumored to. How is Commissioner Trumps going to fix this?"
- Harry, Tuscaloosa, AL

TSG: ...Haaaaave you heard about the new Expansion initiative? I mean, we've got new teams coming in Season 13 in Colorado (right where my alma mater is at in Boulder...go Buffs, screw you hippies), Bismarck, Baton Rouge and Portsmouth? Yeah, sure, the Superleague and whatnot are doing their own expansion with two teams that reside in Canada, but hey...let's face it, the travel time between Canada to Barcelona, Madrid, Milan and London has got to be something to consider. I mean, talk about a pain in the ass. Plus all the amount of money these teams probably have to invest in travel...then count in the time zones to boot.

And that's without mentioning the fact that the Commish has mentioned possibly adding in protective measures to make sure players don't skip out on their contracts come Season 14.

Q: "Who do you think has the best chance to knock the Seeds off their throne, so to speak?"
—Marcus, Paducah, KY

TSG: Really, if you look at the other top three teams in the East right now in the Dragons, Waves and Stallions...all three have a shot. Some are better match-ups against the Hayseeds than others, but all three are feasibly capable of doing so – well, if their GMs can keep the ship steady over the next few weeks. Between Maurice Mays going MIA, McLoo getting criticism for his benching of stars in the middle of the season and JJ Rogers reportedly not being pleased with some shenanigans in Texas over the past two weeks...well...who knows? Perhaps the Seeds could have a clear shot at another FBL Finals berth.

"How many teams will contact BD about Kurtz?"
—Cori, Tampa, FL

"Who is the front runner for acquiring Andreas Kurtz via a trade?"
—Frank, Casper, WY

TSG: Andreas Kurtz has become a pretty hot topic after his declaration that he wants out of Wyoming after the end of this season – and doing so in a rather polite manner too, given that he's been played in a position where he doesn't fit since day one by a lovable but somewhat inept GM in Black Death. Given the circumstances, I could see a few teams in the East like Pittsburgh, Virginia, Birmingham and Boston trying to make a move for him – draft picks and maybe a steady bench presence to go along with it. As long as they make sure to convert him to the small forward position in the offseason, I think whoever gets Kurtz will have a hell of a shooting force on their hands.

"Which expansion team will be the most successful next season?"
—James V., San Diego, CA

TSG: Tough one to call at the moment. Underpants' rookie GM year with the Volcanoes didn't go so hot, we're still waiting on Alex K to pull the trigger on his virginity thing (I've got $20 Canadian on you pulling this off before Franchise wins a game as a GM anywhere in this league), Franchise is likely going to sink yet another team into mediocrity and shame and while I like Talon Wilkinson due to the fact he's used to dealing with pesky egomaniacs as the owner of Code Red Wrestling, is he ready to handle guys that would make Eddie Phoenix, Terry Marvin, Matt Stone and Gravedigger look at them and go "why are these guys so into themselves?" Time will tell...but as of now, before the draft...smart money is on the River Bandits or the Hooks.

Q: Question for your mailbag, not to be answered in a glib way. I am just curious. Was Maverick Peters' broken leg the worst injury that you've ever seen during a game?
—Michael, Quincy, MA

TSG: X Mogo's leg injury was a little worse for three reasons: the timing of when it happened (playoff game), that one replay of his teammates in the Kentucky bench reacting in abject horror (which was basically the bizarro version of the "Teammates Jumping Out of the Dugout After a Game-Winning Playoff Home Run" reaction); and the fact that you basically had an entire fan base weeping in unison. If there is one thing about Kentucky is that when you put on the Hayseeds jersey, you become a part of that family and "Professor X" was like the favorite uncle that couldn't do any wrong, an uncle that helped bring two championship banners in a row to The Barn and to see his last moment as a player in the court be THAT injury...well, let's just move on, shall we?

I read it in the papers, but I was hoping it was just a sick joke played by the Portsmouth newspaper. Is GM Franchise really going to be the first GM of our new FBL team?
—Captain Ahab, Manchester, NH

TSG: ...Well...about that...um...let's just hope you guys don't have to deal with Franchise doing this while your team goes 0-8 to start the season:

Nothing To See Here - Naked Gun

The coaching in San Diego this season has been a roller coaster ride. Do you think the Seagulls have found some stability now with the hiring of Stelios Poppdikos?
—Stevie the Seagull, San Diego, CA

TSG: Honestly? You guys are in way more capable hands with Stelios at the helm than that other guy...who reminded me of somebody who was once in the TFWF. Nonetheless, Stelios has been a proven coach for many seasons who just hasn't gotten a steady home to stay in. Hopefully San Diego could be that place.

With recent names being linked to acting careers...who do you think will be the next big name to take his talents to Hollywood?
—Bichael May, Hollywood, CA

TSG: What, somebody hasn't called Marcus Wear yet? Color me shocked. Although if you ask Primo Pancho, he's very much convinced that Redford Shack is likely starring in his own porn parody once he's retired. And hey, if that means we get to see CoCo Flames nude before she gets stuffed under a pair of pillows to keep Shack's full frame on camera...well, those are going to be five seconds we will all cherish.

Q: "So, I've known this girl for a while and she's really cool, we get along well and I've been noticing that she's been flirting with me a fair amount lately. Problem is, she has a boyfriend. What do I do?"
—Abe, Philadelphia, PA

TSG: ...

(Sigh)

Okay, here's the thing. I'm just going to impart some valuable advice given by myself and the fine folks at "Everybody Gets One, LLC." It's the first rule of interaction with females in general.

If she has a man, you can't be friends.

It's as simple as that.

Q: "If we had to make an educated guess, who within the entirety of the FBL, past or present, has 'been around the block' the most? My money's either on Vlad Bogolov or Felix Johnson."
—Christian, Flagstaff, AZ

TSG: It's definitely got to be the public relations lady in Kentucky. Hell, we don't even know her name and I'm pretty sure this has something to do with Jack Hondo keeping those records from going public on the sole basis that we might find all sorts of pornography and what have you of her on the Internet. Especially considering the rumor that there was this one time she apparently gave Carl Cooper Theraflu or something along those lines. Then there was a rumor he got pregnant many years down the road.

Although that would explain why he's been gone for so long now.

"Q: Do you get a boner every time you type Bright Starr?"
—Joseph, Davenport, IA

TSG: Not every time.

"Are the two Browns on the Aliens related?"
—Cory T., Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TSG: Highly unlikely. While they both have an appreciation for certain things, one of them is all about appreciating himself while the other just tried to go to the future in a cardboard box. Yeah...

Q: "Why is Dorling so incredibly awesome?"
—Mr. D. R. Ling, Las Vegas, NV

TSG: Could be the ruthless, cut-throat attitude that allowed him to snag Ronnie Stanza right under everybody else's noses for next season, could be the fact he has no qualms with being public enemy number one as long as he's winning...or it could be those ridiculously amazing sideburns and his popcorn machine. Seriously, the guy has a legitimate popcorn machine he made himself up in Vegas. Good times.

"Any mock draft predictions?"
—Michael J., Los Angeles, CA

TSG: Nah, I leave those Hondo...he's got a good grasp on it and his insight is usually pretty spot-on.

But I do have some predictions on T.F.W.F.'s biggest show of the year in Death or Glory for you guys!

Winners are in italics:

MAIN EVENT - RANGERS RULES MATCH - THE FINAL MATCH

Fallen Angel vs Tiger Young

MAIN EVENT - UNDISPUTED WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

Jason Proctor (c) vs Michael Thunder

MAIN EVENT - FUTURE OF THE TFWF

Hannah Rickman vs Jack Benevolence

T.F.W.F. Intercontinental Championship Match - Last Monster Standing

Drake Mosa (c) vs Scorpio

T.F.W.F. Light-Heavyweight Championship  Match - Mixed Tag Mayhem

Kenny Freeman/Cindy Pom Poms (c) vs Shawn Preston/Bella

T.F.W.F. European Championship Match

Dragon Demonico (c) vs La Hormiga Verde

T.F.W.F. Tag Team Championship Match - Gauntlet Match

Chi-City Rebels (c) vs Marvelous Inc. vs Dirt Road Warriors vs Cruz/McClusky

DWIWF North American Championship Match

Black Death (c) vs Jeremiah Sloan vs Claude LaBelle

T.F.W.F. Hardcore Championship Match

Alfred Hughes (c) vs Samson

Kiramaru vs Vagn Dahl vs Lee Archer

Q: "Soooooooo...how about Vancouver being screwed out of a team of any caliber once again?"
—Tyler, Seattle, WA

TSG: Well, they do say a picture is worth a thousand words:

Q: "If Sheik Abdul Bashir seeks revenge on the Terrorist scum T-Bone and blows the both of them up does Vernon Nelson and America win?"
—Paulie, Boston, MA

TSG: I'm pretty sure Vernon playing for Portsmouth will end up happening before anybody tries to fly to Hawaii to blow up a fallen from grace GM and the smut collector who happens to be the team owner.

Q: "So, have you taken the Trash out yet?"
—Shane Sanders, Austin, TX

TSG: ...Darling...too soon.

Q: My secretary keeps bothering me when I'm in the bathroom and hasn't gotten the hint that's not an appropriate time to see me about business. My wife thinks I should sit her down and express what I want her to do in that situation. My unemployed brother thinks I should call her from the stall and have her dictate a letter and see if she types all the grunts. I leave it up to you; please choose like your job would depend on it.
—Michael, Pittsburgh, PA

TSG: Took us a while, but we're finally in range here. Oh, and it's option B.

"Q: Strike been listening to ur take on fbl games ,u never coached ur take on games is at best bias how u got this gig is beyon me , u suk & ur words mean nothing .go back to that rock u crawled out from .moron"
—Dennis, Boca Raton

TSG: Getting closer...

Q: "Huh, go figure...by taking the Trash out, you might tossing out 'Captain Texas' JJ Rogers alongside with it, huh, Strikey?"
—NOT Xavi Madrid, Barcelona, Spain

TSG: (Resisting the urge to say anything)

Q: "According to Vlad Bogolov, roosters don't make good small forwards. With that said, what would make for a better power forward? A full fledged grown moose or a giant brown bear?"
— Patrick, Ada, OH

TSG: Yup! These are my readers.

"That Strike Guy" (a.k.a. the guy behind the @EMBRACEBOGOLOV Twitter account) is a resident columnist for FBL Basketball Monthly. For every Strike Guy column and podcast alongside Primo Pancho, log on to LightningLand.

Strike

THE N.S. REPORT - EPISODE 1

In this (debut) episode, That Strike Guy and Primo Pancho talk shop about the world of developing news in the FBL (while being one week late due to editing issues), the Superleague and expansion teams, trade rumors and the usual madness that keeps them coming back for more.

Jon

Q's Corner

Hello folks and welcome to another issue of Q's Corner hosted by yours truly, Johnny Q. It's been a crazy last few weeks in the FBL as we've seen huge stars get traded and some more GM switch-ups. Not to mention, we have tight races in both the Western and Eastern Conferences for the playoffs. It's really going to be an exciting finish to the season. Before I jump into that though, let's take a look at some of the moves that have transpired recently.

It all started with GM Dorling of Las Vegas and GM Libre with Pittsburgh inking a trade that sent point scoring PG Tim McDonald to Vegas for a quality big man in Remo. It'll be interesting to see how Dorling plans on dealing with McDonald, who is expecting a starting spot, but is no doubt a Vegas type of player. Knowing the work Dorling does, Vegas fans have nothing to fear as they are set up for another strong season. Pittsburgh, meanwhile made the first of their big acquisitions in building a legit contender for next season.

The flood gates then really opened up after the trades made by former Virginia GM, Shields. He trades away Ricky Hallmark to Anchorage in return for defensive specialist, Bolak Huir. He then sends Clint Danberry to Pittsburgh for Creed Jackson and a first round draft pick. These trades resulted in GM Shields being relieved of his duties in Virginia, but I'll get to that a little bit later. Barring any backing out by Hallmark or Danberry, they instantly provide a big spark to each team they were traded to. In Anchroage, GM Rebel found that prolific scorer to help Ty Williams out. And even though they lose Bolak, they still have a very sound defensive team lead by Lucic and Holmes. And over in Pittsburgh, the always respected and very consistent, Clint Danberry will help anchor a new look Blades team for Season 13. Now, the big question remains, will Ricky and Clint agree to their environment. Many rumors have been splashing around that Conrad Class will be looking to acquire both of his former players to the SuperLeague. All eyes will be on this situation moving forward.

In another blockbuster deal, recently announced... Mississippi has sent Krease McCool and their Season 13 first round draft pick to the Texas Stallions in exchange for Miles Peters, Caleb Toom, and Mack Ryan. Now let's look at Texas. They free up some cap space, but they lose a lot of proven talent in the meantime. Rogers/McCool tandem is just deadly though, as long as Strike can find the remaining pieces to build around them for next season in the draft or via free agency.  For Mississippi, this was a fantastic trade. After Dorling stole away Stanza, Powers filled his role in with Mack Ryan. Miles Peters will more or less fill the role left by McCool and Toom will be the new force to be reckoned with down low for the Steamers. What this means for the future of Lazco remains up in the air though. But Mississippi has filled in a lot of gaps and looks to have a good starting five again for next season and if it can find some bench contributors this time around, watch out for the Steamers in Season 13.

The other big story was GM Franchise getting fired before he can even get started, becoming the first GM to get fired before getting to do... well... anything. GM Shields has taken over in Portsmouth after getting fired in Virginia, which led to a huge development afterwards. GM Stoner was offered the position in Virginia, which he accepted and in doing so, manufactured a few trades. Leon Dreams will head to Virginia, while Zack Fields and first round draft pick will go to Birmingham. Also, Virginia sent Chin Chik and Chi Chi Rodriguez to Honolulu for former Rookie of the Year and defensive specialist, Kolo Rolo. So, Stoner will have an all-star cast at his disposal next season and if he can keep the ego's in check, Virginia has to be one of the favorites heading into Season 13.

Meanwhile, poor Birmingham gets getting bad news. After GM Bone terrorized the new franchise, things were looking bright when GM Stoner made the move to Birmingham, bringing with him Washington Owens, Rex Holly, and Cheese King. But Stoner pulled the U-Turn on owner El Stingo to Virginia. And now the city of Birmingham has the distinct pleasure of GM Franchise running the Green Hornets. Maybe Franchise can turn his luck around with Birmingham... but many pundits, including myself, think otherwise.

Now let's look at the playoff race as we enter the last week of the regular season. In the Western Conference... Las Vegas, Hollywood, and Seattle have all punched their tickets into the postseason. Fighting for the last and final playoff berth will be Roswell, Anchorage, and Wyoming, who are all 9-7. And then the longshot is Montana at 8-8.

Let's start with Anchorage, who will be on the road for both games. At 2nd place Hollywood and at cellar dweller, Boise. Realistically, unless Anchorage can find enough scoring to upset the Stars, it's looking like a 1-1 week for the Glaciers. In my opinion, if they beat the Stars, they're in as they hold the tiebreaker over both Roswell and Wyoming, beating them both times they faced each team. If they lose, they watch the playoffs from the comfort of their living room.

For Roswell, they have the easiest path. They get Honolulu at home and then in a game that could decide the last playoff spot at Wyoming. Simply put, they beat Wyoming, they are in as long as Anchorage drops their game to the Stars.

For Wyoming, they are in the same boat as Roswell except they have a much tougher match-up in the first half of the week against the Bears. A win against the Bears officially eliminates them from the playoffs. And if they can take care of business at home against Roswell and hope for a Glaciers loss, it will be them in the 4th spot.

Montana is really a long shot and according to multiple sources, they don't own any tiebreakers. Meaning that even if they beat Wyoming and Hollywood, I'm not sure how that will work out if each team finishes at 10-8. I would think it would go to Anchorage if that were to happen.

My prediction...

1.   Las Vegas
2.   Hollywood
3.   Seattle
4.   Wyoming

Over in the East... things are much more interesting. You have Kentucky, Providence, and Texas tied in 1st place at 11-5. And then you have Puerto Rico and Tampa Bay at 10-6. Then long shot Pittsburgh at 9-7.

Let's start with Kentucky, the defending FBL Champs. They have Pittsburgh at home and then travel to Virginia. They can effectively eliminate Pittsburgh with a win. Then they should take care of business against Virginia. Kentucky should be looking at a potential first seed as they hold the tiebreaker over Texas and split with Providence.
Providence has the potential to capture the East #1 seed if they can get by Texas at The Ranch. They finish the week off against winless Birmingham. Depending on how they judge the tiebreaker between them and Kentucky could be the difference between the first and second seed.

Texas would need Kentucky to drop a game to get the first seed as they lost both games against the Hayseeds this season. They get the Diamonds at home and then finish the week off against the Bells.

Tampa Bay, which spent the majority of the season sitting atop the East are on a current four game losing streak which now has them potentially missing the playoffs. Meanwhile, Puerto Rico has experienced some turmoil as well, which finds them fighting for the playoffs in the last week. More or less it will be Tampa Bay vs. Puerto Rico, the winner getting into the playoffs. The Dragons beat the Waves in Puerto Rico and now get them at home. Can GM Cory prevail or will GM Justin get another chance at winning another FBL ring?

But we can't forget about Pittsburgh, who, if they can beat Kentucky and Mississippi in the last week and hope for the Dragons and Waves to slip up once, it'll make for an interesting tiebreaker scenario as the Blades split their games with both teams. I'm not sure how Commissioner Trumps will decide who will get the 4th spot in that circumstance.

My prediction...

1.   Providence
2.   Kentucky
3.   Texas
4.   Tampa Bay

That is all from me here as we look forward to a fantastic finish to the FBL season.  I hope you enjoyed the column and until next time... Q out.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Strike

THE N.S. REPORT EPISODE 2

In this edition of the N.S. Report, That Strike Guy and Primo Pancho go over more of the shenanigans in the world of the FBL as we head into playoff season, That Strike Guy gets directions and conferences completely wrong, Pancho makes his true stance as the comedic force behind this entire podcast process, both guys have their views and predictions on the playoffs and on the second rounders that will be coming out of the upcoming Season 13 draft (that could be completely right or terribly wrong). Also, the one-sided feud between Primo and Dorling continues...so sit back, relax and enjoy.

Hondo

SEASON 13 FBL MOCK DRAFT
with Hond Kiper Jr.

It's time for the Season 13 FBL Mock Draft. With this being possibly the deepest draft class in FBL history, a lot of new stars will hit the FBL scene and shake things up in a big way. And with four brand new teams slated to make their debut in S13, and a host of new general managers, could the whole face of the FBL change in an instant? My EZPN overlords, who treat me well and feed me plenty, have felt fit to release me from my cage to bring you the predictions on how the FBL Draft should go down.

By the way, if anyone out there could contact Seal Team Six and tell them to rescue me, I'd much appreciate it.

(Disclaimer: The Mock Draft is for entertainment purposes only, and is not to be used as a literal drafting guide.)

1. Colorado Hooks – DONNIE HENDERSON, PF/C, CANADA
Rookie GM Alex K stuck the proverbial jackpot when he won the rights to the first overall pick in this loaded draft. Henderson seems to be cut from the same cloth as hall of fame-caliber centers such as Redford Shack and  Kadeon Apollo. Game-changing centers are a rarity, and having one fall in your lap is a blessing from Heaven. Henderson is the smart choice here, and the perfect centerpiece for this brand new franchise to build around.

2. Bismarck Jaguars – LOU MALONE, SG/SF, DUKE
GM Josh Underpants will make his second stint in the FBL with the brand new North Dakota franchise, as he looks to learn from his mistakes incurred during his cup of coffee with the beleaguered Volcanoes. He has a tough choice in front of him, with two stud shooting guards in Malone and Chris Thomas to choose from. While Thomas may be more of a pure scorer, Malone is by far the more versatile of the two, and offers a better all-around game, which is invaluable to a brand new franchise.

3. Baton Rouge RiverBandits – CHRIS THOMAS, SG, CANADA
Our second Canadian player in the first three picks goes to rookie GM Talon and the newly minted RiverBandits from Louisiana. Thomas is bound to be one of the premier scorers in the league, and should give defenders in the East headaches for years to come. If Thomas is already off the board here, they would most likely go with Malone, or possibly take a flyer on the versatile Clarence Marx out of Indiana.

4. Portsmouth Defenders – BABE RIBBS, PF, NEBRASKA
In their brief history, the Defenders already made the best decision in their franchise's history by firing newly appointed GM James out the torpedo hatch. In his place, they have brought in GM Shields, who has controversy of his own on his permanent record. The East hasn't had a sure-fire answer to Kamil Bennett since he arrived to the conference, but that may chance with the addition of man-mountain Ribbs. Kentucky has had success by building their team around their power forward, look for Portsmouth to replicate that formula.

5. Birmingham GreenHornets – CLARENCE MARX, SG/SF, INDIANA
Unfortunately for owner El Stingo, he had no other alternative than to hire GM James when filling his General Manager vacancy. But luckily, he landed the first non-expansion draft pick of the season, to go along with three other first round picks. Marx seems to be an exciting player in the vein of showmen like Xavier Mogo or Scottie Fletcher, and not even GM James can screw up a talent like that. We think. Look for Marx to become the face of a franchise who has yet to find one, especially after the failed Leon Dreams experiment.

6. Boise Spuds – REAGAN JAMES, PG, OLE MISS
Rookie GM Triple B has a big job ahead of him. Despite being in the league for some time, the Spuds have tasted only fleeting success. On their fourth General Manager in five seasons, the Boise fans hope to finally become players in the West. After some post-season raiding, the Spuds lost their best player in Sy Rogers, they have a tough decision on their hands. Do they go with the versatile big man Grant from Connecticut, or do they go the point guard route and draft Ole Miss' Reagan James? While tough centers are hard to come by, they have a serviceable center in Hank Gray, acquired in a trade with Boston, to spell them for now. Laser-accurate point guards are few and far between, so the edge goes to James.

7. Honolulu Volcanoes – JAMES GRANT, PF/C, UCONN
New GM Bone has a tough job ahead of him, cleaning up after another GM James disaster. The Volcanoes had a disasterous year last season, winning only a single game. A lot of the faces from that team are now gone (thank God) and both the Volcanoes and GM Bone can start fresh. Not to mention the FBI is tickled pink that Bone is no longer on mainland soil. Bone likes to go with the best player available, and that's the rebounding machine Grant. Grant paired with the underrated Chin Chik down low could create one of the best back courts in the West for years to come.

8. Honolulu Volcanoes – OWEN BRIDGE, PG, LSU
The Volcanoes attained this pick via a trade with Virginia. A lot of people are calling for the super-shooting Rolly Pounds with this pick, but GM Bone will realize that he needs a team leader and floor general for this rebuilding (were they ever built?) franchise. A flashy guy like Pounds sounds nice, but a steadying presence and leader in Bridge is just what the doctor ordered. Bone has been long known as a competent GM, and had much success before his run-ins with Homeland Security. He knows the score. Look for him to pick his leader here.

9. Boston Bells – MOWA, C, AFRICA
The Bells signed journeyman GM TyTy as their new front office guru, and he's walking into a fairly good situation. While franchise player Blair Smith has left for theSuperLeague, the Bells acquired future star Sy Rogers and his capable point guard Neil Prince in a trade with Boise, in addition to key roleplayers Reggie Ferndale and Malik George from Birmingham. All they need now is a Center to tie the team together. Little is known about the mysterious Mowa, but he has wowed scouts with his super human strength and presence.

10. Puerto Rico Waves – ALEC BRADD, PF, FRESNO STATE
GM Justin will go big man here, no question about it. With dependable Djem Maluka announcing his retirement, and the volatile Shakers Lee announcing his intent on leaving the island for good, Justin is desperate for big bodies. Bradd and Japanese prospect Kazuko Lee are the two best power forward prospects available at this point, but Bradd will fit in better with his gritty hustle play.

11. Boston Bells – KAZUKO LEE, PF, JAPAN
Rolly Pounds' free fall continues, as Boston selects the massive Lee with the pick acquired from Honululu by way of San Diego. Pounds would be a good selection here, but Boston lacked a front court last season, and landing the best player out of the Land of the Rising Sun is just too good of a deal to pass up.

12. Montana Bears – ROLLY POUNDS, SG/SF, UNLV
Pounds finally finds a home in the Big Sky country. GM Jag has lacked a shooting guard presence since the failed Cedric Malone experiment a few seasons back. Pounds falls to him at #12, and should rectify that. He's a thee point shooter and volume scorer, as his shooting records will attest.

13. Wyoming Timberwolves – PEBBLES LANE, SG/SF, HIGH SCHOOL
Star guard Mason Griffin has put GM Death on notice: He wants to be surrounded by talent, or he's out of here. BD will no doubt be looking to correct the mistakes of the nuclear-level disaster that was SF Dakool Fox. Luckily for him, the best prospect available at #13 just so happens to play that position. Pebbles was talented enough to come straight out of his senior prom into the pros, but taking these young guys will take some nurturing from his team. Should they do it correctly, they may just have a star on their hands, and a happy Griffin to boot.

14. Birmingham GreenHornets – CHARLES MUNSON, PF, KENTUCKY
Birmingham acquires this pick from Pittsburgh. This may be a little early for Munson to go, but the next few prospects are guards, and with the recent acquisition of Joey Mazuka from Hollywood and drafting Clarence Marx at #5, they need to address their front court. This pick should end up between Munson and North Dakota's Cody Show. Show is more versatile, and Munson is a bit undersized as a Four, but his gutsy play and scrappy performance is what a GM James team needs.

15. Texas Stallions – CODY SHOW, PF/C, NORTH DAKOTA
Texas acquires this pick from Mississippi as part of the Krease McCool trade. Speaking of McCool, landing him in Texas was no easy feat, as GM Strike essentially blew up his team to get him, sending the talented Mack Ryan, the solid Caleb Toom and the underrated Miles Peters to the Steamers for the rights to his services. This angered star player and team captain JJ Rogers, who is having serious doubts about his FBL future as a result. So in a sense, this team is rebuilding. They'll need a center after losing the solid, if not a bit greedy, Toom. Show should be available here at 15, and will no doubt be their pick. Should he be gone, they could possibly draft Rogers' eventual successor in Canada's Rhys Mitchell or Boise State's Gray Dawn. They could also look at PF Jay Riggins here, but after overpaying the underwhelming Chris Flynn, this may be less of an option.

16. Anchorage Glaciers – WILL ROBINS, SG/SF, NC STATE
In what can only be described as a coup, GM Rebel was able to land all-FBL point guard Ricky Hallmark from Virginia in exchange for defensive specialist Bolak Huir. Rebel gambled on a strong defensive unit last year, but came up just short. He will look to replace Huir with more of a scorer. Robins is a bit of a project, but if treated correctly, he could end up being the final piece of the puzzle for these Glaciers.

17. Roswell Aliens – JAY RIGGINS, PF, BOISE STATE
GM Steven has built the once-beleaguered Aliens into a perennial Western Conference contender. They will look to replacing departing PF Chris Flynn and first-ballot Hall of Fame SF Scott Fletcher in their starting lineups. They could also look to adding a backup point guard, with highly touted guards Mitchell and Dawn still available. Ultimately, Riggins may be too much to pass up on, as a glut of Small Forwards hit the free agent market.

18. Roswell Aliens – RHYS MITCHELL, PG, CANADA
The Aliens acquire this pick from Tampa Bay. Roswell can afford to draft the free-falling Mitchell and let him develop behind starter and team captain Champ Martin. They could also use him as trade bait in landing Captain Scottie's replacement.

19. Wyoming Timberwolves – GRAY DAWN, PG, BOISE STATE
The Wolves acquire this pick from Texas. GM Death should feel fortunate that Dawn falls all the way to #19 for him. His point guard duo of Melvin Smarts and Brock Landers wasn't really cutting it. Now, Mason Griffin has a bright young point guard to get him the ball.

20. Seattle Toppers – ERIC EISEN, PG, GEORGIA
Ideally, GM Domingo would like to draft a power forward here. But taking Montana's Bill Parkson at #2o may be a bit of a stretch. Should he decide not to trade down, he could opt to draft Chico Velez' eventual successor in Eric Eisen, a guy whose dedication to the game is second to none. It's possible they could also go for Virginia's Brett Porter, but he seems more suited for the Two or the Three, and would be lost in the shuffle behind Rich Deane and Joe Harding.

21. Providence Diamonds – BRETT PORTER, PG/SG/SF, VIRGINIA
Providence has positioned itself as one of the East's elite teams over its brief history. The one Achilles heel they've had so far is the shooting guard position, with failed experiments in David Kradle, Butch Paul and Nik Bliss. Porter could certainly become that Two Guard they've desperately been seeking. Should Porter be gone, they could possibly opt for Mark Turner out of Texas, or they could take a big gamble and go for Henri Jour out of France as a backup to Bobby Chang.

22. Birmingham GreenHornets – GOBBLE ALOT, C, OLE MISS
The Hornets acquire this pick from Hollywood. With their third pick of the first round, GM James is no doubt looking for a Center to challenge the mediocre Zack Fields. They passed up on Cody Show at #14, and with Center prospects few and far between from here on out, they'll pull the trigger on Alot. There seems to be a few concerns about his weight, but with the miracle transformation of Providence's Dusty Britches and the past success of Country Sampson, it can be controlled and rectified through diet and exercise and is less of a concern than it was in the past. Alot has the potential to be a dominant center in the East and fills out James' team quite nicely.

23. Kentucky Hayseeds – MARK TURNER, SF/SG, TEXAS
Kentucky and GM Hondo can afford to draft for depth with this pick, as they return four of their five starters. With the departure of PG Jay Chill, they may move current shooting guard Thomas Morgan to the point, which could leave open a spot for Turner to slip into the starting lineup. The big-bodied Turner started all four years in his time with the Longhorns, and could also be a key backup for, and maybe eventual successor to, Freddie Bishop. Should Turner be gone, they could look to Power Forward depth with the recent departure of Jose Caballero. Bill Parkson will be available then, as will Max Crandar and David Bordan.

24. Birmingham GreenHornets – HENRI JOUR, PG, FRANCE
The Hornets acquire this pick from Virginia, by way of Pittsburgh, by way of Las Vegas. GM James fourth and final pick could very well be a point guard. After all, he's got his star guard in Marx, his Power Forward in Munson, and his Center in Alot. James can draft Jour here, and let him develop for a season under the capable Joey Mazuka. They could also take a look at PF David Bordan here, but with the drafting of Munson earlier, power forward is less of a priority.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Hondo

FBL SEASON 13 EXPANSION DRAFT REPORT CARD
with Hond Kiper, Jr.

Hello FBL fans, and welcome to the Season 13 Expansion Draft Report Card! My EZPN overlords decided I needed a little more sunshine and asked me to grade the expansion drafts for our four new franchises. I mean, isn't EZPN great in every conceivable way? They feed us all the porridge we can eat and make sure we get plenty of exercise, rest and all old magazines we care to read!

Seriously, is Seal Team Six here yet? So help me God if I have to read one more Reader's Digest from 1994, I'm gonna slip my wrists with its pages.

So how did our new teams fare?

PORTSMOUTH DEFENDERS

The Defenders and GM Shields got the first pick in the expansion draft, and got arguably the best player available in Cedric Malone. Malone was an incredible scorer during his brief run with Montana, but his attitude issues cost his job. It's widely believed that he has worked through his issues during his stay in Europe, but without a good coaching staff, he could revert to his old ways. This is a great pick depending on who Shields hires as the team's first head coach. ... JR Valentine is arguably the point guard with the biggest upside in this draft. He may not be quete as good as Jay Chill, but he's certainly a lot younger and has shown a lot of promise. He could be the starter here for years to come. ... Ching Bu has never really amounted to much in this league, but could prove to be a decent backup or spot-starter with  the right training. It also helps that he works essentially for peanuts. ... Larry Stevens was the biggest name in the Expansion Draft, deciding to come out of retirement to give his career one more go. Stevens is one of the best SFs  in FBL history, but he only has a season or two left in him. He's a one-year solution to the SF position, but he could be worth it. ... Rick Emerson may not be the sexy pick that Portsmouth fans expected, but he was arguably the best PF available here. ... Jamie Dawson is a lot like Ching Bu, in that they both work fairly cheap, but don't really perform on the floor. It could end up for a dull competition for the starting center job in New Hampshire.

Final Verdict: GM Shields hit a couple of home runs with the Malone, Valentine and Stevens picks, and a couple of bloop singles in Bu, Dawson and Emerson. Shields probably needs to address his Center situation more in the offseason, as the prospect of a Ching Bu/Jamie Dawson starting competition no doubt has Defenders fans falling asleep in front of their TVs. But it was a good, solid draft and I'll give it a B-

BATON ROUGE RIVERBANDINTS

GM Talon has shown a lot of promise so far, and took possibly the best athlete in this draft in Swoop McCarthy. He's reminded folks of other highlight reel players such as Xavier Mogo and Scott Fletcher, and should bring a healthy dose of excitement to this new franchise. ... Jay Chill is probably the best point guard in the draft today, but due to his increasing age, his window of upper level play may be closing. He was a major cog in the wheel in Kentucky, and given the right supporting cast, could do the same here. ... Cory McDoe is a solid, but maybe unspectacular, starting center in this league. He should fill the role nicely, but is not the long-term solution here. ... The same that was said about McDoe rings true with Hans Fuhr. He's a stopgap player, but there are certainly worse options. ... I think Talon hit a home run with the Todd Yallop pick. Yallop was looking like an eventual successor to Flan Bulous in Vegas, but Yallop was a square peg in GM Dorling's roster of round holes, and never really fit in. Yallop should thrive under GM Talon and the tutelage of veteran PG Jay Chill, and take over for the left-hand passing Jamaican once his career winds down. ... Bernie Evans may not have done much for Honolulu last year, but really, who could under GM Franchise? With a little work, Evans could end up being a serviceable player off the bench for the Bandits. ...

Final Verdict: GM Talon is more or less the unofficial winner of the Expansion Draft, it seems. They somehow managed to land a potential franchise player in Swoop McCarthy, an all-FBL finalist and championship winning PG in Jay Chill, and his eventual successor in Todd Yallop. That's not bad for a day's work! Their front line looks a little thin at this point, but so do a lot of other teams'. All in all,  I'm giving this draft a solid B+.

BISMARCK JAGUARS

GM Josh decided to use his first selection on Sixth Man David Kradle. And while no one doubts Kradle's talent, but it was more or less established by his disasterous run in Providence that he can't be a starter in the FBL. Kradle is a perennial contender for Sixth Man of the Year, and that could pay off for Josh, but if he has designs on starting the guy, it could very well be a lost pick. ... Jose Caballero was a decent backup center in Kentucky last season, and could potentially be a decent starter for this new franchise. He's probably the best Day One center in this draft. ... Ben Williams was a nice pickup at point guard, and could end up being their starting One Guard for years to come. ...
Chui Mai is a long ways away from his days with the Hayseeds, but could still have enough in the tank to be a solid backup to Williams. .... Felix Johnson is a wild card here, but given the right tutelage could end up a decent bench player. ... I think this may be a typo. Surely Josh didn't draft Marty Brown with his last pick, the guy who just mysteriously disappeared from Roswell, right?

Final Verdict: I'm not quite as hot on this draft as I am the other three. Kradle is a great sixth man, and could pay dividends for them later on, but is he your first draft in an expansion draft? Taking a washed-up Chui Mai when Todd Yallop was available will haunt them. The Marty Brown pick was just plain bad. The Williams pickup was great, and the Caballero and Johnson picks were solid as well. All in all, a C- grade for an up-and-down draft.

COLORADO HOOKS

Say one thing about the Hooks, they certainly like their big men. GM Alex shocked the FBL world by taking project center Baldo ahead of players like JR Valentine, Jay Chill and Jose Caballero. While no one doubts that Baldo can someday become a talented FBL center, drafting him about three rounds too high is certainly problematic. ... Picking up Sheldon Day with his second pick ensures that the Hooks have a scorer on the floor. Day was considered one of the best shooters in the game before his European exile. ... Kevin Moose was an outstanding pickup, as Moose has become one of the league's most underrated combo guards, and should flourish in a system where he is the go-to point guard. ... Grizla Valinka was sort of a meh pick in the fourth round. He'll be a decent rebounder off the bench, but not much else. ... The fifth round pick of Butch Paul was a good value pick. Some people are leery of Paul's perceived attitude in the past, but much of his issues have been driven from GMs who made bad decisions in his regards. If GM Alex does right by him, he could become one of the league's best sixth men. ... Randy Ferndale in the sixth round was another meh pick, but he couldn't have done much worse with the talent pool drying up.

Final Verdict: On paper, it looks like a pretty decent draft. Value wise, Baldo could have been gotten a few rounds later, after Jose Caballero and probably Cory McDoe. Taking Baldo cost them a chance to get one of the more highly touted point guards in Jay Chill or JR Valentine, but they recovered well by getting Moose. So I'll give this draft a solid C.