Roy Hodgson Named Liverpool Manager

Started by Kenfucius, July 01, 2010, 05:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenfucius

From BBC Sport

Roy Hodgson has been named Liverpool's new manager after signing a three-year contract with the Anfield club.

Hodgson will oversee the club's first day of pre-season training on Thursday before being unveiled to the media.

"This is the biggest job in club football and I'm honoured to be taking on Britain's most successful football club," Hodgson told the club's website.

The 62-year-old joins from Fulham, whom he guided to the Europa Cup final and had been in charge since December 2007.

Hodgson succeeds Rafael Benitez, who left Liverpool by mutual consent at the start of June and is now manager of European champions Inter Milan.

Hodgson's exploits with Fulham last season, which included wins over Juventus and Wolfsburg en route to a 2-1 Europa Cup final defeat by Atletico Madrid in Hamburg, earned him the League Managers Association manager of the year award in May.

In his first full season he took Fulham to seventh in the Premier League, their highest finish and a place in the Europa League.

Liverpool moved quickly after Hodgson was linked to the England managerial job after the team's World Cup failure.

Hodgson has extensive domestic and international managerial experience across Europe, including spells in charge of Blackburn Rovers and Switzerland, who he guided to the last 16 of the 1994 World Cup.

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill, former Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini, ex-Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink, Croatia coach Slaven Bilic and former Manchester City manager Mark Hughes had all been linked with the Liverpool post.

But it is thought that Hodgson was always the club's preferred candidate.

His departure is a bitter blow for Fulham, with whom Hodgson signed a 12-month rolling contract in December last year.

Hodgson arrived at Craven Cottage in December 2007 after the sacking of Lawrie Sanchez, guiding the club clear of relegation in his first season back in the Premier League.

He then forged a competitive unit with astute signings like Norway defender Brede Hangeland, Australia goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and Hungary midfielder Zoltan Gera.

"The club would like to wish Roy the very best for the future and thanks him for all that was achieved during his tenure," read a club statement.

"(assistant manager) Ray Lewington will take temporary charge of team matters, until a successor is announced in due course.

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Duckman

Pretty pissed off I'd imagine!  I reckon Hodgson could do a good job at Liverpool.  Hopefully they give him some time to sort the team out.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Kirk

He's just the guy you want for a mid table team like Liverpool. I'm sure that if he's given enough support from the owners he might even be able to get them into the top half of the league.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Adam Wrong

i tried to ignore this thread but can i say

FUCK YOU ROY YOU HOOK NOSED OLD CUNT

Just because he didn't take the England post meant he HAD to go somewhere else and Liverpool came a knocking.

Does he think he can change the politics there? Something he never got with the chairman at the cottage? No of course not and still the cunt leaves. I resigned myself to losing him either way but for Liverpool I am fucked off.

And look who is lined up... Sven, Slaven Bilic, Curbishly, Mark Hughes and Lee Clark

Only one of them looks to forward Fulham with the rest sending us down :(

Cory

Slaven Bilic would be a good coach I think. He always looks like he gambled on the game, and if they dont win, he's going to get his legs broken by the mafia.

Adam Wrong

Cory

looks like a cokehead to me too.

But he did really well with Croatia last Euros.....