News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Martin O'Neil quits as Villa manager.

Started by Duckman, August 09, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckman

Did not see that one coming!  Thoughts?

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Rob

He was apparently down in the dumps about Milner possibly leaving. Oh well, I think Villa needed O'Neil more than he needed them, so we'll see. I think the two managers that could've helped, Hodgson and Hughes - both being in work now - are not options for them now. They need someone to realise the talent they have, and I don't think a vast number of managers actually do that.
SixersEagles

[/center]

FXBlade

For one; I am absolutely gutted.

O'neil was the reason we have been consistent for the past few years.  Yeah we still have the team, but I knew something was gonna crack off this summer.

We have signed no one and released Bouma and Harewood, Sold Shorey and another player that i forget.

Money was not made available to sign new players, and I think that was the underlying cause.  The only way we could have signed someone was to sell someone, that person being Milner.  The way that whole transfer Saga happened has sucked, so the only half decent thing to come out of it now is that Milner leaves and Ireland comes our way in a part exchange deal.

As for a new manager?  I have no idea, but they dont need to rush it as we dont want to go back down the O'leary/Little/Gregory route

Cory

He left because he wasn't going to be given the funds from the Milner sale to spend, it was going back into the club.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

FXBlade

Quote from: Cory on August 09, 2010, 03:34:10 PM
He left because he wasn't going to be given the funds from the Milner sale to spend, it was going back into the club.

The local Midland tv stations havent reported that; Sky sports news havent even reported that.

No one was even at the club today apart from the chairman and O'neill.  Rumour last season was that he had fallen out with Randy Lerner so I wouldnt be surprised if that had spilled over.

Truth is, look at the amount of free transfers that have been signed this summer, did we need alot of money to spend on players?  Not really.  The only money that would have been Splashed was on mcGeady, and hes heading odd to moscow anyway.

Duckman

The BBC mentioned that an offer for Ashley Young was made by Spurs and when it wasn't rejected right away O'Neil walked.  The Milner deal is also close to going through from reports coming out of Man City.

I reckon I'd walk if I lost both my best midfield players with 5 days till the start of the season!

Sounds like more of a case of the players being sold, rather than getting the money to spend once they go.

If the reports are correct.  Once O'Neil makes a statement we'll know what's happened.

Peace

Duckman

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

FXBlade

QuoteA Curbishley â€" 5/1
M Jol â€" 5/1
S Bilic â€" 6/1
S McClaren â€" 8/1
SG Eriksson â€" 8/1
J Klinsmann â€" 10/1
D Moyes â€" 12/1
G Zola â€" 12/1
A Shearer â€" 12/1
B Davies â€" 16/1
G Houllier â€" 16/1
T Venables â€" 16/1
B Bradley â€" 16/1
S Clarke â€" 16/1
R Di Matteo â€" 16/1
T Pulis â€" 20/1

These are from Skybet.com.  They make me laugh..

Although Alan Curbishly wouldnt be too bad a manager.  He would carry on the work with the young english players that oneill did, whereas if a foreign manager took over we would be riddled with unknown foreign players pretty much ending my faith in the team

QuoteIt was speculated at the end of last season that O'Neill was set to resign because Villa did not match his ambition to force a place into the top four of the Premier League.

QuoteThe earlier sale of Gareth Barry to City and a reluctance from club owner Randy Lerner to finance new signings has also been rumoured to have played a part in O'Neill's decision.

With all the speculation surrounding Milner {barry take 2} and the proposal of unsettling Ashley young, Im not surprised he has gone.  I think im more upset about the fact that its 5 days before the start of the season.  What kind of preparation is that for any premier league team? 

Cory

Ive heard alot on Goal.com of US coach Bob Bradley being linked with the job.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Bradley got a hell of a lot of good press in the UK during the USA World Cup campaign.

I have to see O'Neill's stance. Milner is one thing, but then I heard the Young thing a few times yesterday BEFORE he resigned.

How is the bloke suppose to compete as a top 6 club if the powers that be are in serious talks to sell off two of his top players JUST before the season kicks off.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Sky Sports on the net is now confirming he is favourite...

Duckman

Has he had any experience in top flight club management?

Peace

Duckman

FXBlade

One Simple word.

No.

They keep throwing names out there, the papers this morning said Moyes was favourite.  There is no way he would leave everton for us.

Curbishley is My favourite with Southgate as a rank outsider.   I just hope in no way shape of form they offer the job to Sven

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Lets hope Ron Atkison returns just to make this amusing.

Jerry McClean

MON often does jobs at clubs in 5 year stints before he decides he's taken them as far as he can and moves on. So I thought this would be his last season at Villa anyway (I wouldn't have been surprised if he left after last year).

The timing, though, is a surprise. Villa's position means that they needed to at least spend the same amount as some around them (obviously City is out of reach) to at least be able to mount a similar challenge. They didn't even do that.

Adam Wrong

Last time there was this much fuss of somebody leaving the Villa, Maddie McCann went missing