News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Comic Book Movies Thread(thanks you fucking Asian)

Started by Gary, January 13, 2011, 04:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Worldbeater

No, but he doesn't need to look like a My Chemical Romance poster boy either. If there's one thing I don't think when I think 'Spider-Man' it's 'head hung in a perpetual scowl'.

Gary

Dude its a fucking still shot, and you obviously havent seen the cover to Spiderman No More..that shot is sort of a homage to that. My Chemical Romance? Dude you are way fucking off base with that comparison. You really are kinda ignorant at times.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Marq

Okay, clearly our definitions of "douchebag" are different.

First link? I see a thirty year-old dude who got drunk one night and had a one-night stand with his roommate, which he apologizes for not remembering. An adult Spider-Man making an adult mistake? Sounds logical to me. Feeling guilt afterwards? Yep, that's the Peter, I know.

Second link? I see a thirty year-old dude who's having casual, consensual sex with a character who has ALWAYS been more infatuated with the mask than the man underneath. No douche, there.

Third link? He's speaking technobabble with someone else who speaks technobabble. Ain't his fault MJ doesn't get it. That's like you talking about Japanese wrestling with Sam. I won't understand anything you're referencing, but that doesn't make you a douchebag, does it?

Fourth link? It's Joe Quesada teasing fans, sure, but it's also Peter and Mary Jane joking with each other and having a grand old time. MJ's actually crying from laughter as Peter even says he'll call her later. Clearly, they're friends, here -- where's the douchiness?

You want a douche? You'll have a guy who says, "You weren't even that good, anyway," when Michelle runs off. You'll have Peter fuck Black Cat and say, "I make you wear your mask 'cause you probably won't be that hot." You'll have a guy who, when MJ doesn't understand the techno-speak, says, "It's alright, MJ -- not everyone knows as much as us." You'll have a a guy who, when asking MJ if he can move in temporarily, says, "Bitch, what's so funny? I need a place." THAT'S a douche. As for the other two links, I couldn't be bothered -- I still don't see what you're talking about. Living with his aunt at thirty years old? In the Philippines and a shit-ton of other cultures, that's perfectly fine. Least he's got a job. As for using women? Please. If anything, it was an honest mistake on Peter's part in regards to Michelle, and in the second example, Black Cat was using HIM.

And "Reign?" Ugh. I was working in a comic book store when that came out, and it was just as ridiculous then as it is, now. Cracked.com is hilarious, but that's a terribly misleading article. "Reign" wasn't a fucking "reboot." It didn't start a new series, nor was it meant to. It was a mini-series from a writer/artist who had free reign to do what he wanted. And as you said yourself -- it's an "alternate" universe, which effectively means it can be ignored, which I have and currently am doing. Elseworlds = not canon. "Dark Knight Returns?" That's a story -- not a reboot. Same with "Reign," "Kingdom Come," all those "The End" stories from Marvel.

"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Gary

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on January 14, 2011, 12:28:09 AM
No, but he doesn't need to look like a My Chemical Romance poster boy either. If there's one thing I don't think when I think 'Spider-Man' it's 'head hung in a perpetual scowl'.

[/center]

Jonny Worldbeater

You know what, just fuck it, ok?

I don't like it, you do.

Fine. Whatever. I'm done.

Marq

Look, JB -- to not like the picture is one thing, and that's fine. This argument wasn't about the picture. But getting on a soapbox and essentially saying "Marvel ruined the character of Spider-Man" is such a broad and sweeping statement, that it's going to get my spider-senses tingling as he's a clear favorite of mine, too.

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Marq on January 14, 2011, 12:58:16 AMLook, JB -- to not like the picture is one thing, and that's fine. This argument wasn't about the picture. But getting on a soapbox and essentially saying "Marvel ruined the character of Spider-Man" is such a broad and sweeping statement, that it's going to get my spider-senses tingling as he's a clear favorite of mine, too.

Well like I said man, I'm afraid I can't relate the same points and examples to you that struck such a chord with me because I just can't find the article.

So I'm sorry, but there's really nothing more I have to contribute here.

jagilki

So, let's just breathe and reminisce about how awesome Spider Man 3 was!

Marq

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on January 14, 2011, 01:03:10 AM
Well like I said man, I'm afraid I can't relate the same points and examples to you that struck such a chord with me because I just can't find the article.

So I'm sorry, but there's really nothing more I have to contribute here.

Fair enough. Just, y'know, until I see Spider-Man being a complete prick outside of the comics, I can't fully jump on that bandwagon. If he's still THIS guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zhEpkB8Qh0

...the character's intact, but just in the hands of a shitty writer. But know that I DO understand where you're coming from when bad writing takes over. Look at Batman -- which version do you buy? The one in "The Dark Knight" and the animated incarnations, or the one in the current comics where he's apparently funding a worldwide initiative of "Batmen?" :)

Mike Storm

Hey it could be worse, you could have Arnie playing Dr Freeze

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I dont really give a shit about who plays Spiderman at the moment. Anything that the Ledger performance in Dark Knight told me was I couldn't cast a super hero if my life depended on it!

My main concern is the reboot. In the UK on some of the advertisements I have seen it seems to imply this will follow on from the first three which Toby Mc featured in, but I am seeing conflicting reports elsewhere. I am ok with new casting cause I kind of understand its difficult to get stars to commit to a 4th film when the third one was very well...subpar.

Sure successful reboots like the new Batmans have been great, but seeing as in my life time I have seen rebooted super hero films of both Batman and Hulk and in a roundabout way the Superman ones as well, its getting well...annoying lol.

'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Marq

Right, Ian -- let the actors act, I say. The "Fantastic Four" movies, as bad as they were, proved that they can still be enjoyable as long as the casting's on the spot -- Chris Evans, in particular. And SPEAKING of which...

And in regards to the plot of the reboot, Ian -- since Raimi pulled out of the fourth movie (in a series of six that Sony planned to produce, I believe), they realized that it wouldn't be the same, so this is a completely new set of movies that focuses on the fact Peter's in high school. He doesn't immediately go off to college like he did in the first Spidey movie, which is fine by me since I prefer the Parker character when he's younger. The only issue I've got is whether they plan on spending a whole 'nother movie rehashing the origin, or if they're gonna flash to the origin in the intro like they did with the Edward Norton "Hulk" movie from a few years ago.

Gary

[/center]

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Which is kind of funny cause in the 90s Batmans they didnt bother with an origin as much (albeit the reason Wayne wanted to fight crime) and then in the reboots it was a very indepth look at how Waybe became Batman. In a reversal of sorts.

As you say Hulk didnt do that...

lets hope Spiderman does do the same!
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Gary

I would see why they would do it for Superman though, his first movie came out in the late 70s and unless the newer generation has seen Smallville, they would kinda need an origin for those new fans who probably dont know what the fuck Superman is about.

[/center]