Global Cruiserweight Series

Started by Fnord, March 31, 2016, 04:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fnord

I'm interested in hearing more about this "Global Cruiserweight Series", so I decided to start a thread to discuss it and post updates and whatnot.

During today's media call with Triple H to promote NXT TakeOver: Dallas, he announced seven names for WWE's upcoming Global Cruiserweight series.

Zack Sabre Jr. (PWG Champion), Rich Swann (NXT) Tommaso Ciampa (NXT, PWG), Noam Dar (Europe), Johnny Gargano (special deal with NXT), Ho Ho Lun (Japan), and Akira Tozawa (Dragon Gate) are the confirmed names thus far. There are also qualifying matches set to determine entrants.

The WWE Global Cruiserweight Series will take place this summer.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Duckman

That's one hell of a list of talent for starters!  Sabre Jnr is amazingly talented, awesome to see a Scottish wrestler in Noam Dar in there and Akira Tozawa has been one of my favourite wrestlers in the world since I saw him work Cesaro and Chris Hero for the first time in PWG, I think it was either 2010 or 2011 BOLA tournament.  Not totally sure on that but I just remember thinking he was one of the most entertaining and skilled wrestlers I've ever seen.  Got the kind of crazy charisma and exciting style that will do well in WWE.

A very encouraging first few names - would love to see a couple more UK guys in there - Marty Scurl and Will Ospreay especially (but with Will being contracted to NJPW I don't expect to see him in this) - these shows could be the highlight of the summer wrestling calendar!  Expect some of the more well know guys in EVOLVE to join this - Matt Riddell especially.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

BamBamBunglow

I am verrrrry excited to see Noam Dar in there! I kinda wish Mark Andrews hadn't won TNA Bootcamp now - He's be a great addition there (and not just because he's Welsh.... honest Guv)

Chris Shields

I'm expecting at least a couple of Evolve guys, a few more guys from Japan and the UK, possibly a couple of luchadores, And some more NXT guys, especially a few who haven't debuted yet (Specifically the former La Sombra, who is rumored to be winning)

Fnord

- The new name for the WWE Global Cruiserweight Series appears to be The Cruiserweight Classic, according to WWE's website. The 32-man tournament begins this summer.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 

Cory

WWE's YouTube channel has posted 3 of the qualifiers already which is pretty cool.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Black Death

smart move ... reminds me of the super J-Cup , which NJPW has also brought back also this year ... Going to be a fun summer for viewing wrestling
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Duckman

This tournament should be great and there's some top level talent in there, but that NJPW Best of the Super Jnrs line up is incredible.  Ricochet, Sydal, The Bucks, Kushida, BUSHI, Volador Jnr, Ospreay, Romero, Baretta, Fish, O'Reilly, Liger etc....GOD DAMN that's a stacked line up.

BD is right - so much good wrestling to look forward to this summer!  Can't wait.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Talon

I keep hoping to see Ricochet/Prince Puma in this list... Fingers Crossed.

- 2nd Best Overall Player 2013
- Best Town Player 2013
- Best 3rd Party Player 2013
- Best Teammate 2013 (Black Lantern Crew)
- Most Improved 2013

- Best Mafia Game 2014 (Project X Mafia)
- 2nd Best Mafia Game 2014 (Supernatural Mafia)
- 3rd Best Mafia Mod 2014 (Project X & Supernatural)

- 2nd Best Mafia Game 2015 (The Shield Mafia)
- Best Mafia Mod 2015 (The Shield Mafia w/ Pancho)

- Best Mafia Game 2016 (Interstellar)
- Best Overall Player 2016
- Best Mafia Mod 2016
- Best Town Player 2016

Fnord

As seen below, WWE has announced all 32 competitors for The Cruiserweight Classic that starts taping from Full Sail University later this month on June 23rd:

* Kota Ibushi
* Tajiri
* Gran Metalik
* Zack Sabre Jr.
* Noam Dar
* Da Mack
* Zumbi
* Clement Petiot
* Harv Sihra
* Gurv Sihra
* Fabian Aichner
* Brian Kendrick
* Rich Swann
* Cedric Alexander
* Akira Tozawa
* Jack Gallagher
* Tony Nese
* Johnny Gargano
* Tommaso Ciampa
* Ho Ho Lun
* TJ Perkins
* Drew Gulak
* Anthony Bennett
* Tyson Dux
* Lince Dorado
* Sean Malura
* Raul Mendoza
* Kenneth Johnson
* Alejandro Saez
* Damien Slater
* Ariya Daivari (brother of former WWE star)
* Jason Lee

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Doug E Fresh

¿PapaPancho?

That's the wrong kind of Da Mack

Rob

SixersEagles

[/center]

Alex Smiley

Quote from: ¿PapaPancho? on June 13, 2016, 05:36:54 PM
That's the wrong kind of Da Mack

Certainly not Da Mack I'll be rooting for, sorry wXw.

#TOZAWA

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.