News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Local gigs

Started by Drama Queen, April 09, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drama Queen

Last night I went to a small gig in a VFW (think of a bingo hall basically) with some friends, and realized it was the first time in ages that I went got to see something live and intimate, and was reminded instantly just how awesome it is.

There was about 200 in attendance, at least half of them kids, and it was just all around fun.

The highlights of the night:

Heel gets the upper hand on the face, slams him, starts slowly making his way to the top rope.... someone shouts from the crowd "What's he gonna do?"... he stops climbing, walks over to the side of the ring where the shout came from, addresses the crowd.... "Your'e girlfriend, that's what I'm gonna do!" and then starts gyrating obscenely to a wonderful chorus of boos and laughter. You just don't get that sort of interaction in a televised event in an arena haha.

But the absolute best part of the night was when a local guy "Gunner Trasher" came out to thunderous applause. He carried a "steel" thrash can and was dressed in overalls, in other words a garbage disposal guy gimmick. I turned around and asked some of the crowd who were going crazy for him

"I guess you know this guy huh?"

"Yes... he actually collects our garbage!"

That just blew all levels of awesomeness as far as I'm concerned. He was actually up against Crowbar Devon Storm! At one point Storm was stomping on his hands and people from the crowd were protesting "stop that, how's he going to pick up our garbage?"

Bull Dempsey was there and put over the champion Keith "the Beast".
Kimber Lee put over one of the women also.

Great night overall, and I'd love to hear other similar cool stories in this thread.

Gravedigger

I've never been to a true indy show, but I went to NXT in February. Place only held about 1500 people, and it was packed. The atmosphere was insane. So much more crowd reaction/participation than Raw/Smackdown....

Alex Smiley

I love local indy shows, because sometimes you get some slightly famous names. Case in point, I went to PCW out in Torrance just last month and they had guys like Scorpio Sky, Kenny King, and MVP. In other cases, you'll get to actually meet some new faces at these things and it's a chance to follow their career and, if/when they make it to a WWE or TNA or even ROH or Lucha Underground, you can look back fondly on the memories you had of watching them start out. Such is the case for me with Willie Mack, known simply as The Mack in LU. Met the guy in 2010 at shows in Anaheim, and have been pleased to see him showing up on TV lately.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Cory

Kurt Angle is at the show im going too tonight with 2 Cold Scorpio,

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Drama Queen

On Saturday I'm going to see Kurt Angle vs Cody Rhodes and Jushin Liger vs Jeff Hardy!

Rob

I went to an indy show in Bournemouth several years ago and there was a guy D-Lo Brown got us to call "smelly bastard" or some alternative...

When I went for a piss break "smelly bastard" was getting changed out of his wrestling gear in the mens bathroom. I proceeded to say "Alright smelly bastard?"
SixersEagles

[/center]

Black Death

I use to work indy shows ,  it can be really fun and engage for the crowd because there right in there .

if you guys want I can give you stories from my days working indies
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Drama Queen

Quote from: Black Death on August 22, 2016, 09:37:01 PM
I use to work indy shows ,  it can be really fun and engage for the crowd because there right in there .

if you guys want I can give you stories from my days working indies

Of course man, would love to hear that stuff.

I just got back from Wrestling Under the Stars which was such a fun experience. Really good local talent, like Travis "Flip" Gordon, Dan Da Man, and ManScout (yes a fully grown man with a boy scout gimmick... who plays it hilariously).

But they really brought in the star power also.

Brooklyn Brawler vs Jerry Lawler
Mat Hardy vs Sami Calahan
Jushin "Thunder" Liger vs Jeff Hardy
Cody Rhodes vs Kurt Angle

Swoggle, Velvet Sky and Ryback were also there.

Seeing Liger in person and so up close was unreal. Mat Hardy is batshit crazy... I think he never ever breaks this new character even outside wrestling! He brought his wife and his landscape gardener out to the ring with him!

Angle looked so happy to be there.