News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Silent Hill

Started by The Murph, July 13, 2008, 06:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Murph

This had to have been one of the oddest movies I've seen in some time. That is the only way I can start off this review. There's just so much in it that really was beyond comprehension. And this is coming from someone who did enjoy the first two games of the series.

This movie seems to draw a little more from the first game then any of the others that were made before the series began. They did change the main character from a male to a female, but in some ways it would remind you of the first in some areas.

It does have some creepy scenes and will somewhat contain your interest, but for the main reason of you asking what the fuck is going on. The movie swerves from one area to the next. The explanations for some reasons behind what is going on makes no sense and the ending fails in a few areas. I understand the point of the end and what they were trying to point out but I think it should have been changed to a more pleasing ending after putting up with trying to wrap your head around the first 100 mins of the movie.

The one good thing about this movie is Uwe Boll didn't direct it so it won't be getting an F

Rating: D for some creepy scenes but a horrible story that doesn't work on a big screen

TaNK

I actually did like the movie but they couldn't really adapt it from the game that well.

Even if you gave it a "D" rating. Pyramid Head is the shit.

Draeden

I quite enjoyed it. Especially a certain big monster grabbing a certain woman and doing something certainly unpleasant to her.

No penis involved.

Excaligore

I liked the Silent Hill movie. I mean, it's a really really poorly written script. The story did make sense to me but in a lot of ways it's cheesy, unoriginal, and the character's have illogical arcs.

But, I mean, the thing is an artistic masterpiece. Visually it is fucking beautiful.

Seriously, except for a few moments(any time they use heavy CG) it's a movie I think you kind of feel. Mainly because the visual styles and soundtrack are taken straight from the game which make them far more fresh and interesting than most of what Hollywood churns out in those categories (Especially music which in most films is just generic string sections).

The Silent Hill movie can be really enjoyed, it can. As long as you watch it for what it is. A work of art from an subconscious point of view not an intellectual.

Problem is, they should have done what they did in the games, started it in the town and never leave the town. Never give a real explanation for why we are there. Just allow people to soak in the atmosphere. Sure, a lot of people wouldn't get it. (A lot don't get the parts that are like that anyway). But, that's how it should be Allow the storyline to be fragments and emotions. Because, in the end, that's what Silent Hill is. An extremely artsy game. It derives it's effect completely from psychology. With a feelings over thoughts philosophy and proper use of confusion. If they could just make it that. they'd be set.

Still, I respect the movie because of ANY videogame movie it's the only one to stay decently respectful of the source material. And, The only problems are where it strays from that but compared to anything else, it strays very very little.

JaceGryphon

Are you saying the Super Mario Bros. movie didn't stay true to the source material?   LMAO!

The Murph

I'm not saying it is a horrible movie. It got a D because it deserved a D. It's watchable but nothing more then that. It just was too complex a story to flesh out in under two hours. That was the main issue.

TaNK

Super Mario Bros was the shit and always will be!

JaceGryphon

Quote from: TaNK on July 13, 2008, 08:32:44 PM
Super Mario Bros was the shit and always will be!

THANK YOU!

TaNK

;) NP.

Matthew, you only gonna be doing horror movies?

The Murph

well I might do the odd non horror movie but considering on my pc for my list of movies I have a section for Horror movies and the other is Non Horror so you can imagine which I have more of lol. Now if other people wanna do horror movies they can. I'm not gonna kick up a fuss and if you wanna post your own review of one I did, your welcome as well. There are people who won't agree with my opinions of movies, and I might not agree with yours. But each person looks at a movie a different way so people start writing.

Jeff Rivers

Did any one else yell out “Blow the horn of Gondor” during that movie?

I don’t usually prefer that kind of movie but I really enjoyed it.  Far from a favorite but I will likely give it a second watch one day.

Tim-Æ

The major problem with this movie is that it sucked.

D