News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Most over-rated/under-rated movies?

Started by Dave Johnson, July 16, 2008, 09:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Johnson

What have been some of the most over-rated/under-rated movies over the years?

Over-rated: The Simpsons movie.
To me that was the biggest load of shit I have watched, it wasn't even funny, wasn't any of those random but hilarious bits and when they tried it, failed miserably, overall it was a piece of shit.

Under-Rated: Spongebob Movie
Not enough talk for this, when I watched it a couple of years ago I thoight it was freaking hilarious. Wasn't your common kids or family movie, it was funny for all ages IMO, loved it honestly.

They were two at the top of my head straight away, theres many more, so state them!

TheNthDegree

Underrated: Michael Clayton
The critics were so buzzed about it and yet NOBODY saw it. It got robbed of a couple of Oscars, I think. Friends and I went to see it, and then we went to see it again. It was so ... so GOOD.

Underrated: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
The first film George Clooney directed, Sam Rockwell starred, about the Gong Show creator Chuck Barris and the CIA ...the first DVD I ever owned. My favourite movie of all time :)

Overrated: The Bourne Trilogy
Does Matt Damon look like Jason Bourne (REALLY wanna call him by his real name but no spoilers)? Yeah, kinda. Bad movie? Yep. I think I just might be very upset about how the books were treated in the movie, basically like a pile of trash. I read the books 10 years ago, when I was 8, and then again when I was thirteen and again a couple of years ago. I tried seeing the first movie because of how good everybody said it is, but when it screwed up the Bourne world I loved, I had enough. I mean, the movies are good in terms of editing and cinematography but just ... no. :( For those who haven't read the books, they love it. But it's just way too overrated for a fan of the novels.

Duckman

Under rated:  I'll second that voted for Confessions....very good film, very subtle performances but extremely effective and the similarites between then and now (communists/terrorists) is scary.

Under rated:  Idiocracy.  I heard it didn't do well because a lot of major corporations put pressure on because of the message it sends about consumerism.  This is a great little movie, loses it's point a bit at the end, but there's some fantastic moments and a scary message in amongst all the fart jokes.

Over rated:  Lord of The Rings Trilogy.  Ok, this'll probably piss a few people off, but Kevin Smith said it best 'those three movies were just 9 hours of people walking, even the fucking trees walked in that movie!"  They looked good and had some cool moments, but the second one seemed really soul less and the third one never ended.  I did like the first one, but all together they just bored me to death.

Over rated:  XXX.  How in the fuck did this movie make so much money?  What kind of water brained cabbage would sit through this and enjoy it.  How did Vin Diseal make a career off a performance so wodden Pinchio would've used him as a stunt double?  I watched 20 minutes of it and then switched it off.  I got as far as him jumping over some big building as it blew up for no reason and then just said 'fuck this.'  Worst movie I've never seen.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

The Murph

Under Rated = Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - A great movie. Visually perfect. Entertaining and just a great sequel to the FFVII game. What sucked to me is how the Final Fantasy movie before managed to get a theater release, yet this one never. A great piece of movie history, no one besides fan boys knows of.

Over Rated = Harry Fucking Potter - I tried to watch the first one. It sucked. The sequels bar no interest for me. A horrible series that obviously takes too many influences and tries to squeeze them together.

And I agree Spongebob's movie rocked. My daughter loves it and so do I.

Rae

Overrated: Every Scary Movie/Epic Movie and other crap like it

How does this always end up being number 1 at the box office? It is some of the WORST writing and acting I have ever seen. One thing I can't stand is when the whole stupid thing about Scary Movie is parodying Scream, when Scream itself is a freaking parody. The people making these movies literally took celebrity gossip and whatever was hip and worked it into what was supposed to be a parody. HORRIBLE MOVIES. My skin crawls just thinking about.

Underrated: The Descent

Hands down one of the BEST horror films out there. The setting is deep underground, giving a creepy atmosphere right from the beginning. The great thing about this film, is that there is indeed a creepy creature trying to attack the 6 main characters but also that the girls themselves become each other's enemies. The character interaction leaves you on the edge of your seat, and you keep desperately hoping that they will find a way out before they destroy themselves. If you haven't seen this and you like horror, you need to rent it.

Tim-Æ

If you got pissed off at Sam's list....get ready to be furious with MINE!

Tim's top 5  most overrated movies of all time!

1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
2. Scarface
3. LOTR
4. Star Wars
5. Juno

Tim's top 5 most underrated movies of all time!

1. Children of Men
2. The People vs. Larry Fynt
3. Brick
4. Gangs of New York
5. 25th Hour

Drama Queen

Under: The Spongebob Movie was indeed awesome, and under-rated. In fact I would class Nickleodeon movies as under-rated in general, The Wild Thornberries Movie and Rugrats Gone Wild two more examples.

Over: Toy Story, Incredibles etc.... they seem to drag on forever. A Bug's Life was ok though, I can tolerate that one.

Over: Gone With the Wind... I can't believe I sat through it all

Under: Airplane II... the Sequel... seriously it recycles the best jokes from the original, and adds brilliant new ones, and has William Shatner.

Split Second

Children of Men was fantastic. Everyone I know, who saw that film, enjoyed it. But yeah, there's not many who have seen it. Defo underrrated.

Overrated: Finding Nemo - I hated the film, worthless and boring

Dave Johnson

I agree with Scarface being Over-rated, people think its the best movie, nothing too fancy for me aswell.

And Amen on the Under-rated Nickolodeon movies.

Scott Rage

OVER RATED- 300, Scarface (I love it, but it's not for everybody like most make it seem),

UNDER RATED- Face/Off (my favorite move ever, so a little bias lol), Paulie

Drama Queen

Over rated action movies: Lethal Weapon... I cannot explain it, but for some reason these movies do not appeal to me at all

Under rated: Boondock Saints (though it's higly rated as a "cult" favourite I guess) ; 15 minutes... yeah very cheesy and generally silly storyline with weird characters. Loved it.

Kenfucius

Over-rated
Titanic: HOW many Oscars? Seriously? Who did Cameron suck off?
Chicago: Not only are the performances shoddy, but asking me to believe that Renee Zellwhatever is every man's fantasy is a joke
Braveheart: Seriously, I am far too fucking Scottish to accept Mel Gibson and his accent as William Wallace, and truthfully, the characterization of all of the main players (the crazy Irish sidekick aside) showed that the writing was piss poor. I'm not even speaking as a history enthusiast here. If I were, this would be the size of an RP.

Under-rated
25th Hour: Ed Norton rules, Brian Cox owns all other Scottish actors, no matter the relative fame, and Hoffman is always gold.
Manhunter: Speaking of Cox, remember when he was first to play Hannibal Lector? Remember when the guy from CSI was thin? This movie was a genuine chiller the likes of which are so difficult to find in Western cinema these days. Also, it's Michael Mann back when he was still trying to prove himself.
Most of Kevin Smith's filmography: Yeah, I'm a View Askew fanboy, and I have Jersey Girl to prove it. That movie aside (and in truth I didn't think it was particularly bad, perhaps poorly casted, but not a bad movie overall), I can watch just about any Kevin Smith movie at any time and find it hilarious.

Zombie Gunn

Underated: The Postman, The Bourne Trilogy (yeah, they're rated high but not enough)

Overated: Spiderman series

Kendell Smith

Quote from: Duckman on July 16, 2008, 10:15:31 AM
Over rated:  Lord of The Rings Trilogy.  Ok, this'll probably piss a few people off, but Kevin Smith said it best 'those three movies were just 9 hours of people walking, even the fucking trees walked in that movie!"  They looked good and had some cool moments, but the second one seemed really soul less and the third one never ended.  I did like the first one, but all together they just bored me to death.

I could not agree more, the scene in clerks 2 where Randal and the LOTR's guy are having the debate about Star Wars and LOTR's, brilliant! I never understood why so many people flipped over LOTR, I found them all mind numbing and the third one had about 4 endings.

Underated:
Since I'm on the topic of Kevin Smith I'll say Mallrats. It got slated because it was his film after Clerks, actually most of his stuff got slated by critics because they where held in comparison to Clerks. Love Kevin Smith, love his sense of humour and love all his films!

TaNK

Over-Rated- The Harry Potter movies! Ugh! All of them!

Under-Rated- A Man Apart with Vin Diesel. Probably one of my top 5. For those who say Vin Diesel can't act.. fuck off! lol

Also, Knockaround Guys.. kicks ass

and.. The LOTR movies ruled.