Michel Owen is getting desperate.

Started by Duckman, June 14, 2009, 11:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckman

He's been sending what is basically his CV to various clubs in the Premiership with a view to getting a move away from Newcastle.

The brochure that's been put together is pretty damn funny to be honest.

Here's the link:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/359542/MICHAEL-OWEN-FOR-SALE-Newcastle-striker-sends-clubs-brochure-about-HIMSELF.html

What do you guys make of this?

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Adam Wrong

very sad and desperate for a player who was a footballing equivilent of a One Hit Wonder. He scores one good goal in 1998 and every came in their pants. Fact is, ever since then he has been mediocre to average at best. He's a duff striker though so Fulham will probably sign him for 5 mill

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I tell you like any CV it doesnt talk about his failures

IE

His left foot
His ability to stand on his feet for more than 10 seconds without falling over
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Jimmy Chisel

His famous England goal notwithstanding Owen started playing in the Liverpool first team regularly in 1996-1997 and is far from a one hit wonder. If there is any ex-home grown Liverpool striker you could say was a one hit wonder I'd say Neil Mellor. Not Michael Owen, I point to:

Quote from: Owens Liverpool Stats

1996-97: 2 (1)
1997-98: 44 (23)
1998-99: 40 (23)
1999-00: 30 (12)
2000-01: 46 (24)
2001-02: 43 (38)
2002-03: 54 (28)
2003-04: 38 (19)
Total:  216 (118)

Add to that a 40 goals for England. He's a former European Player of the Year. To call him a one hit wonder is thoroughly incorrect. He had  all his success at Liverpool, however under Houllier he was mismanaged when it came to his injuries being forced back when not fully fit, and that has effected him to this day. Benitez didn't want him, possibly due to the fact he was so injury prone and Houllier had signed Cisse (who unluckily suffered a terrible leg break that limited him as a player) before Benitez arrived. So, Owen goes to Madrid for a year. He's down the pecking order and is allowed go to Newcastle. We all know what Newcastle Utd as a club has been like.

It is impossible to laugh at this for me. Michael Owen in his peak (he may have peaked early but due to mismanagement from Houllier we'll never really know if he did peak) he was one of the best strikers in the world. He has a few years left in his career. It's sad that someone as talented as him has come to this, and it isn't his own fault either. Hopefully a club picks him up, either now or when he's out of contract. I've speculated in the past that the MLS might be a place that would want him. However, he will want to be in the England set up for next years WC (hence the desperation to get into an EPL side, and don't forget he is out of contract soon at Newcastle and they won't be keeping him). I hope he finds a club. As a Liverpool fan I have a soft spot for him, I somehow think he should just give up and accept a move to some league like the A-League or MLS or somewhere in Asia where he can be a star and make money, but he won't do that obviously because it seems like he'd want to be in England to get an England place if he can get fit. 

Ultimately, where he finds himself is sad, not of his own making, from being poorly managed in his later Liverpool years and going back to England to play for a poorly managed club that relied far too much on him to be fit when he wasn't. Which probably means he wasn't playing at 100% for Newcastle at times either. He wants to stay in England, if he can, at a club that can get him fit and can use him rightly so that he doesn't become the go to guy for them, I'd be delighted. Though, I think I'd be encouraging him towards being a big fish in a small pond somewhere.

Laura

My brother has a personalised signed picture of Owen from his Liverpool glory days...true story.

chunkylover

Quote from: Crazy GaGa Stalker on June 14, 2009, 09:22:25 PM
My brother has a personalised signed picture of Owen from his Liverpool glory days...true story.

well, it'd be an odd blatant lie to make Laura

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Chunkay on June 14, 2009, 09:26:14 PM
Quote from: Crazy GaGa Stalker on June 14, 2009, 09:22:25 PM

well, it'd be an odd blatant lie to make Laura

LMAO thats brilliant
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

MG Newton

Well it worked, coz he is now going to be staying in the prem with Hull or Stoke. I know it is a step down but still top flight football and if he can stay fit then you never know

Hyde

I just hope Theo Walcott doesn't go the same way in his career  :-\

Cory

Well no need. Walcott sucks the ass.

Rob

Walcott will never really become that great.
SixersEagles

[/center]

MG Newton

Wenger needs to start playing Walcott up front, then he would be better. Get rid of Adebayor, use Bendther as sub and play Arshavin & Van Persie behind Walcott, with Fabregas, Melo & Nasri in midfield

Cory

Ugh. Van Persie needs to go. They need to buy a more versitile striker......someone they can put up with Adebeyor, and keep Arshavin on the wings. I'd like they to go after one of the many people Real have tossed up to help them rid of debt, maybe Sneidjer or Van der Vaart, who are both IMO better than Van Persie, who cant stay healthy to save his life.

People only like Walcott because your from England and cheer for the only britt on Arsenals squad....I live in Canada and know that. He sucks. He's fast. He has poor ball control, can't cross very well, gives the ball up alot, and not the greatest finisher. Sure he is young, and thats why he'll stay as a sub.

Kenfucius

And, in addition to all that, Newton's setup doesn't work because that basically puts Walcott, who has the size and physical strength of a seven year old, against two opposition centre backs every single game.

Even if he ever got a clear shot on goal, he'd probably be pounded into mulch by the time it came about, and he'd have all the kicking power of a powder-puff.

I disagree on Van Persie though, if he stays fit, he's brilliant, excellent set piece taker and a fairly prolific scorer. The problem lies purely in him staying fit.