News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Michel Owen is getting desperate.

Started by Duckman, June 14, 2009, 11:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Wrong

owen will probably go to the far east where they pay silly money for hasbeens because they have match magazines 10 years out of date

Dazz

Are you guys joking? I know the fashionable thing to do is to slate Owen as a has been but his stats speak for themselves. Last year, and remember this is with a Newcastle team that was a complete shambles, Owen's minutes played/goal scored was 225. Take Tevez's stats from the same year, and remember that he played in a United side that won 3 trophies and made it to the Champions League final, and his minutes played/goal scored was a horrible 556. Berbatov played 263 minutes per goal and Rooney only played 171 minutes per goal. Considering Owen is Tevez's replacement at OT it seems like a good bit of business. United have saved £30 odd million and are going to get a lot more goals from Owen than they did from Tevez. On average, Owen has scored a goal every 2 games in his prem career and that is a good haul for any striker. As I've said before, Owen's overall game isn't that good any more but he still scores goals and the last time I checked that was a good thing.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Dazz on July 11, 2009, 08:14:40 PM
Are you guys joking? I know the fashionable thing to do is to slate Owen as a has been but his stats speak for themselves. Last year, and remember this is with a Newcastle team that was a complete shambles, Owen's minutes played/goal scored was 225. Take Tevez's stats from the same year, and remember that he played in a United side that won 3 trophies and made it to the Champions League final, and his minutes played/goal scored was a horrible 556. Berbatov played 263 minutes per goal and Rooney only played 171 minutes per goal. Considering Owen is Tevez's replacement at OT it seems like a good bit of business. United have saved £30 odd million and are going to get a lot more goals from Owen than they did from Tevez. On average, Owen has scored a goal every 2 games in his prem career and that is a good haul for any striker. As I've said before, Owen's overall game isn't that good any more but he still scores goals and the last time I checked that was a good thing.

Comparing Tevez and Owen is like comparing chalk and cheese. Tevez was a work horse he would come on and could change a game with his hustle and what not, your lucky if Owen doesnt need a breather after 5 minutes. I couldnt give a monkeys what Owen did for Newcastle he scored goals for a side that got relegated...nice one. A side when he came on the pitch tried to cater to his style and thus were even shitter than they were before. Fact is Tevez, Rooney and Berbatov won the league, league cup and nabbed themselves a champions league spot in the finals, Michael Owen won himself s sick bed in Tyneside and watched a club which should be a top 8 at least get relegated.

We don't need Owen's goals we have 11 players on the field capable of scoring goals. Newcastle tried to make Owen a goal scorer and look what they got with that. I would have Tevez any day of the week over Owen, who by signing him means we more than likely wont grab another striker.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Dazz

First off. Newcastle, top 8? Really? Secondly, you should be bothered about how he did at Newcastle because they were hardly creating chances like United do and yet Owen still managed a good goal haul for them. Owen's conversion rate is up there with the top Prem strikers and, considering the fact that he'll now be getting good service, I would not be surprised if he got 20 goals this next season. I know you United lot like you're players to hustle and show some energy but without the goals to go with it you end up nowhere. Mark my words, by Xmas you United fans will change your tune about Owen (and Berbatov). Clearly Fergie agrees with me or he'd never have signed him.

Cory

Not a Man U Fan, but 100% agree with Ian. Stats are for nerds. Owen & Berbatov ARE LAZY. They're like Luca Toni & Ibrahamovic but they actually score. He also has a glass body, if someone sneezes too hard hes out for five games. Maybe you scare him and he gets upset, out for 2 rounds. Berbatov too, hes a good player, excellent ball control maybe the best for a striker, but hes too lazy, and wont work for the ball.

I think Rooney is the best thing going, perfect striker, always busting his balls, strong as hell, and I see aspects of Roy Keane in him, attitude wise that make him an incredible player, who IMO Berbatov & Owen should never get time over him, injury pending.

And yeah. Newcastle is a low top half team.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Dazz on July 12, 2009, 08:27:55 PM
First off. Newcastle, top 8? Really? Secondly, you should be bothered about how he did at Newcastle because they were hardly creating chances like United do and yet Owen still managed a good goal haul for them. Owen's conversion rate is up there with the top Prem strikers and, considering the fact that he'll now be getting good service, I would not be surprised if he got 20 goals this next season. I know you United lot like you're players to hustle and show some energy but without the goals to go with it you end up nowhere. Mark my words, by Xmas you United fans will change your tune about Owen (and Berbatov). Clearly Fergie agrees with me or he'd never have signed him.

With the resources and talent Newcastle have they should be a top 8 team year in and year out. They fucked up. I dont think Owen got a bad service as Newcastle, I just think he is one dimensional. His game has always been hanging around the last defender like swine flu (sorry Micah) and then waiting for that through ball for him to use some little man pace to get through, half fall over and score a goal. The big difference between Michael Owen of yester year and now is he has no fucking pace and he falls over easier. He has only ever had a right foot which I have been arguing since 1998 when he broke onto the scene properly. He is a completely overrated striker and always has been. If you take the fact its his team mates Daz how come he has been frozen out of England? A place where he would have some excellent teammates. I always get behind any United player, but this is one where I hate the fucking little scouse shite and on top of of that think he is incredibly overated. Is it a good buy getting a striker on a free yes it is, if we were going to add another striker on top of that, but it seems to me having the name of Michael Owen will lead us to being content as oppossed to persuing other targets.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Duckman

60 games in 4 years at Newcastle says it all.  His body just can't cope with Premiership football anymore.  I'm expecting him to be an impact sub for United but I don't see him starting 4 or 5 games in a row as you would with Rooney.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.