News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Controversy Question: Posting Baby Pictures

Started by Ty, May 07, 2013, 08:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty

So, I guess I'll start by saying that I'm kind of a counter culture person. I don't like doing things because its socially expected or whatnot. I've found that during pregnancy and during my wedding process a couple years ago, there were expectations people had that I just didnt get. I'm experiencing one of them recently, people seem right pissed at me because when my baby is born, I refuse to allow any photos of him to be posted on any social media sites. I'll email or snail mail pics but wont post them publicly.

My reasons are hard to explain. I don't like the thought of Facebook owning any part of my child (even if it is just photos of his image) and I've heard of a few different news stories of companies using stock photos and parents discovering their babies pictures (or in one case, her own) being used to promote things they dont believe in or that were embarrassing.

I have to know, what is people's opinions on this? Upon hearing someone say that they wont post baby pics, whats your reaction?

Mike Powers

I personally could care less. However, I don't look down on you at all for your beliefs.

Midas

Quote from: Totally TyTy on May 07, 2013, 08:18:56 PM
So, I guess I'll start by saying that I'm kind of a counter culture person. I don't like doing things because its socially expected or whatnot. I've found that during pregnancy and during my wedding process a couple years ago, there were expectations people had that I just didnt get. I'm experiencing one of them recently, people seem right pissed at me because when my baby is born, I refuse to allow any photos of him to be posted on any social media sites. I'll email or snail mail pics but wont post them publicly.

My reasons are hard to explain. I don't like the thought of Facebook owning any part of my child (even if it is just photos of his image) and I've heard of a few different news stories of companies using stock photos and parents discovering their babies pictures (or in one case, her own) being used to promote things they dont believe in or that were embarrassing.

I have to know, what is people's opinions on this? Upon hearing someone say that they wont post baby pics, whats your reaction?

Not judging and I really believe it is your choice when it comes to your child... However I will tell you my reaction when I hear something like this...

My first thought is that the parent is overreacting, paranoid and stuck in the stone age... In a society or video imaging and cameras everywhere it is likely your child's image has been captured many times over already and will be done so without you even thinking about it for years to come... I believe it is harmless and truthfully the joy that is your child should be shared with as many people as possible in as many ways as possible....

I have a brother-in-law and Uncle who throw major fits if you post there image on Facebook and both reasons while crazy IMO does not stop me from following their wishes...

Uncle says he does not want people he knew from way back when seeing him int he streets and saying "Hey saw a picture of you on Facebook at a swimming pool" this is exactly what he said... I believe this is directly tied to his poor self image as he is aging and getting bigger therefore he wants people he knew many years ago to see him in that way... Truthfully he looks the same to me...

My Brother In Law who works for the Hilton Corporation has  said he does not want people he works with seeing how he acts outside of the work environment... However he hangs out with all of these people in a social environment so I cannot speak to how it makes sense...

But I do what they wish and avoid it... Except for my wedding... They were told to suck it up... lol...

Now while I feel you are overreacting... I am going to say this... It is your CHILD so doesn't matter what others think it only matters what you think and until your child is of age to make decisions for his or herself then you do it and you do what you think is best and anyone who doesn't like it can fuck off...

Just my opinion...

Ty

Thanks :) Thats the response I was hoping for Midas, thanks for being honest

Triple B

How about from a Dad?

I ACTUALLY felt similar in the beginning before Grace was born.  But I can tell you that as soon as she popped out, I turned into a picture buffoon and posted left right and center.  I only post them on Facebook, but I've found that FB actually is a really good way to track things.  I create albums, upload and narrate video, everything.  It's also nice in that if my computer flies away with a tornado or something, FB has most everything right there for me to download if I wanted to.  Also, there are alot of friends and family that I have all over the world, and they like seeing how Grace is growing up and how many gray hairs I have (6).

Now, as far as companies taking pictures, FB doesn't do that.  However, there ARE a few sites that want to try doing that.  I can understand you feeling uncomfortable about it, but I'll tell you right now that your kid's picture is going to be everywhere as they grow up without them knowing about it.  Even at the hospital.  Alot of hospitals actually have a photographer come to the room to take pictures after you're settled and post them online to purchase.  Not sure if it's available at your hospital, but it's a possibility.

To sum up, I think that the pride of fatherhood will eventually override concerns of privacy.  Keep them on FB, set your profile so only friends can view it, and show off that kid.

Congrats, my good man,.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Stoner

Quote from: Triple B on May 09, 2013, 03:29:46 AM
To sum up, I think that the pride of fatherhood will eventually override concerns of privacy.  Keep them on FB, set your profile so only friends can view it, and show off that kid.

Congrats, my good man,.

This in so many ways.

Quote[Today at 05:31:25 PM] JackHondo: If a zombie outbreak ever happened, Stonie would cut his arm off and replace it with a chainsaw.

Quote from: Ian "Wolfie" Trumps on July 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM

Justin

I didn't post pictures of my child on Facebook (still don't, but I also don't get on FB either) and didn't allow my wife to do so until she was 3 months old.

Dorling

Bottom line Ty, if everything you do for and with your son is motivated by love and commitment to him, you won't go far wrong. I'm not a father, but I can imagine that I would be massively proud, as many of my friends have become.

Midas

They didn't have Facebook when my daughter was born... ;)