Super6 - Feedback (Spoilers Ahead)

Started by Alex Smiley, December 06, 2018, 04:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Smiley

This is the place to put in your potatoes...I mean, show feedback. Kudos to the winners! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, particularly as it pertains to judging; for the sake of transparency I'm more than happy to provide some feedback and show you the scorecard I used to judge your RP, since yes indeed I have scores and remarks for the RPs lol.

I put the spoiler warning so that those not wanting spoilers before reading the show are aware of what will be discussed in here. Spoilers, sweetie.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Mark Mania

Loved the show, had a lot of fun RP'ing against Rex, looking forward to what Aidan puts out next week.

The summary results are much easier to get through and still understand the flow of the match a bit. I wrote two of them, but after seeing how you polished them up I'll definitely get them more in line next time.

I feel like all 4 members of Group A are going to end up tied with 3 points, so god only knows how that will go, can't wait to find out though.

I would also expect to see a few more segments after this first show has been posted too. We'll all get into the swing of things for a little bit and make this a tournament to remember.

Great job by all the RP'ers, only 1 no-show which for a mega show like this isn't bad at all! Can't wait to see more of this weeks RP's come through, running out of reading material in the bathroom.

Awesome job everyone!

Saint

Honestly I thought the show was greatly written from start to finish. :) The segment was highly enjoyable, if anything I may consider sending in segments of my own now that I've got less of a hectic timetable. XD

But holy shit, totally thought Dynamo had me with his roleplay.

Alex Smiley

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys!

Quote from: Jack on December 07, 2018, 02:13:58 PM

3. As a critique, I would say that 2 draws is a little anticlimactic but sounds like there is a formula in place and if that's how it goes, that's how it goes. Haha, i'm just glad I escaped with a point at all so maybe I shouldn't complain!

4. Not a huge thing, but a little weird that it's 'No DQ' and no 'rope breaks' but matches can still end with double count outs and time limit draws. Doesn't really affect the meat and potatoes of what this game is supposed to do, so like I said, not a big deal, but if I saw that on WWE I would be scratching my head for sure.

5. Will try to add a segment or two going forward myself.

- The draws are a reflection of how the judging went, and should definitely be taken as such haha.

- Believe me, I'd been wondering myself how the two ideas mesh...and I thought that this was the best way to address draws. Funny thing about the rope break, to me it makes more sense that rope breaks don't mean a thing in a No DQ environment since not complying with it would normally constitute a DQ in a match. I see what you mean about it looking confusing (especially a count out situation in a No DQ match, but I chalk that up to the technicality involved there), but I can also assure y'all there won't be WWE-esque booking where a match just ends with no resolution whatsoever haha.

- I certainly welcome whatever segments you guys turn in, even if it's not "your week"...I do wanna apologize for not having much in the way of other segments, I'll admit I got in a little bit of a rush to try to minimize the delay BUT I've got some ideas that will be put in future shows :)

Aidan Collins

• Definitely have to give a huge shout out to Sewaside. Our match really brought me back to 2005-era XWF, so I was marking out pretty hard throughout the rps and reading the results. He definitely made me laugh with a few of his lines in his rp.
  • I love the abridged results. You are able to keep a good sense of how the match played out without needing to spend an hour reading results.
  • Great work on the rps all around, folks. This tournament is off to a brilliant start and I think it has a good shot at turning into something really special. Super happy I get to be a part of this thing.
  • Hope people enjoyed the segment between Raven and I. Definitely open to writing a few more of those. Hit me up on Twitter DM if you'd like to work together (board PM works too)!
  • Looking forward to facing Mark on the next NYC show. I don't believe we've ever crossed paths before; facing new high level opponents is what Experts is all about! Good luck, man.

Geordie

Quote from: Aidan Collins on December 08, 2018, 01:32:29 AM

• Definitely have to give a huge shout out to Sewaside. Our match really brought me back to 2005-era XWF, so I was marking out pretty hard throughout the rps and reading the results. He definitely made me laugh with a few of his lines in his rp.
  • I love the abridged results. You are able to keep a good sense of how the match played out without needing to spend an hour reading results.
  • Great work on the rps all around, folks. This tournament is off to a brilliant start and I think it has a good shot at turning into something really special. Super happy I get to be a part of this thing.
  • Hope people enjoyed the segment between Raven and I. Definitely open to writing a few more of those. Hit me up on Twitter DM if you'd like to work together (board PM works too)!
  • Looking forward to facing Mark on the next NYC show. I don't believe we've ever crossed paths before; facing new high level opponents is what Experts is all about! Good luck, man.
I wrote your match, so hopefully I did the history between yourself and Sewaside justice!

Quote[Today at 02:28:53 PM] Black Death: i thought  rettop had a raping promo
[Today at 02:28:55 PM] Church Dogg AlexK: I know I did a snippet in a Rettop RP once, is that what you meant?
[Today at 02:28:59 PM] Church Dogg AlexK: ...
[Today at 02:29:02 PM] Black Death: yeah
[Today at 02:29:13 PM] Church Dogg AlexK: I think EVERYONE is sigging that, BD

Aidan Collins

Quote from: Geordie on December 08, 2018, 03:39:45 PM
I wrote your match, so hopefully I did the history between yourself and Sewaside justice!

You definitely did! Beating the everloving shit out of each other and still ending with a handshake is exactly how I would imagine it going, regardless of outcome. Thank you for that.

Rebel Child

Quote from: Aidan Collins on December 08, 2018, 01:32:29 AM

You know... I might have to take you up on this if Georgie and Aidan show up in the same place at the same time... >.>

I mean they ARE Twitter besties...

Rebel Child

ALSO

I forgot to do what I came here to do.

I liked the fact you summarized the results, the matches were compelling.  I liked the natural feeling of it all.  The segments were good.. I really am loving this to be perfectly honest.

It's a bit like coming home.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Extreme tournie... and I think maybe you are doing your predecessors proud (I know you're doing me proud).

Doug E Fresh

I apologize for not having a chance to comment sooner. I wanted to give it a fresh re-read.

Summarized results are good as I think it appeals to all audiences. You get the point across. Bigger matches for bigger shows. This is fine and alright.

I agree with the sentiment above that with the rules, the way in which the draws came about were weird. For example, rather than a double countout, perhaps two individuals not being able to get up at a count of 10 ala last standing rules would have fit more easily the no DQ stipulations. Just a two cents. None of that is to express any displeasure. I'm always good with whatever we get because ya'll are doing the judging and the writing. I'm too old and tired for all that again in my life LOL.

Echoing others above, many thanks to all writers/contributors to the show and I'm going to work to contribute segments going forward.

Russ

Can only really echo above thoughts about good summarised matches, more segments/storyline planning would be good, looking forward to rest of tournament.

As to the draw situation... eh it's tough. That being said I humbly disagree Doug on the double knockout idea. This is round 1/week 1 of a huge tournament. To me a double knockout/last man standing situation is a huge event... these two guys took each other to the absolute limit and knocked each other out. In week one. Where the hell do you go from there? There's a technical issue with draws in a no DQ situation, but the idea that potentially every week these behemoths of the wrestling world might take each other to the absolute limit that they're both out for 10 takes all the drama out of it. If Doug E Fresh and Level-One knocked each other out - fuck the rest of the tournament, I wanna see how that rivalry unfolds! I say stick to count outs and time outs, leave the knockouts to grudge matches/PPVs/really pushing a specific feud.
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Doug E Fresh

Quote from: Russ on December 11, 2018, 06:34:31 PM
Can only really echo above thoughts about good summarised matches, more segments/storyline planning would be good, looking forward to rest of tournament.

As to the draw situation... eh it's tough. That being said I humbly disagree Doug on the double knockout idea. This is round 1/week 1 of a huge tournament. To me a double knockout/last man standing situation is a huge event... these two guys took each other to the absolute limit and knocked each other out. In week one. Where the hell do you go from there? There's a technical issue with draws in a no DQ situation, but the idea that potentially every week these behemoths of the wrestling world might take each other to the absolute limit that they're both out for 10 takes all the drama out of it. If Doug E Fresh and Level-One knocked each other out - fuck the rest of the tournament, I wanna see how that rivalry unfolds! I say stick to count outs and time outs, leave the knockouts to grudge matches/PPVs/really pushing a specific feud.

I was just using that as an example of a way to have a draw.

Alex Smiley

In case you missed it, Week 2 results are up!

Quick note on segments, because I admit I didn't explain this clearly: if you could submit segments in the format I've got going for the show, that'll make it a lot easier for me to plug it in lol. Basically, dialogue with the names and no quotes, and action in brackets as in [...

[We cut to the studio, where Kyle Bacon is standing by and looking like a doofus as always.]

Kyle Bacon: Something along these lines will help keep the formatting consistent throughout the show. Thanks, guys!

[With that we cut back to the real world...]

I'll worry about any BBCode formatting, but I wanted to run that by you guys for future shows. Thanks!

Russ

Overall, liking the summarised results, segments added some interesting storyline. Loved Jack's segment explaining away the time draw beautifully. Love the creativity.

That being said... second week in a row where there's been two draws and they happen to be in the same group. Sorry Alex but I don't buy for one second that 1/3 of the matches for the past two weeks have been genuinely too close to call and that they were the same group each week. If it's that tight get a second impartial judge. I feel a bit cheated (not saying that I think I should have won, I feel a though the group was pre-decided to all draw as long as everyone reached a certain standard...). Also the way it happen... Scorpio lands his finisher and literally ONE SECOND later Artemis is up and hitting hers which Scorpio completely no-sells? Alex why are we blowing such drama on a round one group stage match?

Also after all the build up why is the only Eternal Circle/feud of any kind build up being done by competitors submitting segments? I feel like there needs to be some top down leadership.

I'm sorry to be on a bit of a downer but when we're waiting three days for results and what we get is summarised marches and 4 segments submitted by role players with no overall story progression and some dubious as hell coincidental draws I'm losing faith a little dude...
Boss of the Experts, Hero of the TFWF and SCW, all-round giant bag of awesomness.

Alex Smiley

Quote from: Russ on December 12, 2018, 09:54:26 PM
Overall, liking the summarised results, segments added some interesting storyline. Loved Jack's segment explaining away the time draw beautifully. Love the creativity.

That being said... second week in a row where there's been two draws and they happen to be in the same group. Sorry Alex but I don't buy for one second that 1/3 of the matches for the past two weeks have been genuinely too close to call and that they were the same group each week. If it's that tight get a second impartial judge. I feel a bit cheated (not saying that I think I should have won, I feel a though the group was pre-decided to all draw as long as everyone reached a certain standard...). Also the way it happen... Scorpio lands his finisher and literally ONE SECOND later Artemis is up and hitting hers which Scorpio completely no-sells? Alex why are we blowing such drama on a round one group stage match?

Also after all the build up why is the only Eternal Circle/feud of any kind build up being done by competitors submitting segments? I feel like there needs to be some top down leadership.

I'm sorry to be on a bit of a downer but when we're waiting three days for results and what we get is summarised marches and 4 segments submitted by role players with no overall story progression and some dubious as hell coincidental draws I'm losing faith a little dude...

Judging: The draws are an indication of the fact that both RPs for a match were too close to call...and yes, that happened for two groups as a whole as we wrap up Week 2. It's easier for me to allow draws to happen this early on, whereas future weeks were going to be judged with a fine tooth comb (and a microscope!) in comparison...but you've also given me a much better idea how to handle that. I'm open to having a second judge in the event of a draw so that they are much harder to come by.

As far as how the Scorpio/Kaiser ending was written, I'll admit I could've done a better job on that and will be more conscious in handling match endings.

Storylines: There are seeds being planted throughout the show for the different storylines happening...and not all those seeds are found in the segments. That said, I do have some segment ideas that I'm working to flesh out for future shows and I'm gonna touch base with a couple of people to make sure I have certain details in line with how their characters behave.

Hope that helps!