Best New Music: Titus Andronicus "The Monitor"

Started by Tim-Æ, March 12, 2010, 02:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

Yes, the band is named after the Shakespeare tragedy (his first I believe). And yes, they may be a little "off" from what you'd expect from a punk band. But after their wicked first album The Airing of Grievances I didn't expect their sophomore album to be better, let alone one of the catchiest (in my tastes anyway) albums so far this year. Punk like this is easy to get hooked on, because its so lyrically heavy and easy to follow that you just slide into the groove quickly.

The Monitor also has a very unique theme for it. Named after the USS Monitor, this Civil War themed album is peculiar in its scope, but so good you forget about what it could possibly be referring to. Not to say that it isn't important, but daring is what I'd call it - to write an album about the Civil War, perhaps there's a political message behind it? Punk has always been laden with politics, thats what the point of the music was to begin with - a rebellion. Here its more subtle and Titus Andronicus are not for the weak that's for sure. They lyrics aren't dense, their heavy and they may sink in your stomach with how vulgar and vile they can be, but they are bitter and biting when it comes to the descriptions of how the war was.

Opening with "A More Perfect Union", the band segues between songs with interludes that sound like PSA's from the 1800s. Anyone with a knack for rhythmic punk and lyrically heavy albums, I'd strongly recommend this to. It's strong, much stronger than their debut, and features some great guests from the Vivian Girls, The Hold Steady, and Ponytail to name a few.

My personal favorite track is "To Old Friends and New" a 7 minute sprawling track featuring piano and a bit more toned down with a sort of choir like chorus. overall I'd consider this album epic to say the least. Multi-instrumental and once again, VERY heavy on lyrics, The Monitor is another one of the best albums of the year.

B+

Here's the review at Pitchfork where you can listen to the whole album on lala.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14010-the-monitor/

Rob

For the sake of bumping an old topic this is an album I'd strongly recommend as well. They have a very upbeat sort of sound in their music, whilst it's still fast paced and angry enough to be considered a properly well done punk album. If you're getting tired of pop bands being classed as punk, then you should turn to Titus Andronicus for the cure.
SixersEagles

[/center]