Who do you hope YOUR team drafts?

Started by Cory, February 22, 2012, 12:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hondo

Cincy had an INCREDIBLE draft. They fill the void left by J-Jo leaving in free agency last season with Dre Kirkpatrick. They filled a big gap in the O-line with Kevin Zeitler. They got their potential #2 receiver in Mohamed Sanu and a sleeper in Marvin Jones. They bolstered their D-line with two highly regarded tackes in Devon Still and Brandon Thompson.

The only -- only -- issue I had was not doing a lot on the running back side of things. They signed The Law Firm in the offseason, but that's going to be a running back by committee system next season. Drafting Boom Herron out of Ohio State in the sixth was more  a case of making the local fans happy than improving their back situation.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Justin

I think Alshon coupled with Marshall gives Cutler all the firepower he needs.  I may be biased, but I think Alshon is the best pure receiver in the draft.  He's dropped the weight and he's increased his speed.  The guy is a monster and catches everything that is thrown his way.

T-Bonizzle

You are heavy bias Justin.

Are you Alshon Jeffery?

Justin

SPDougie

I was extremely happy with the New England Patriots draft.  The Tavon Wilson pick aside, Belichick went against his usual route of trading down and hoarding picks and got both Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower in the first round.  Considering our lack of pass rush over the past few seasons and the reluctance for drafting one I was pleased with this result.  I respect Mike Mayock's analysis immensely and he proclaimed that Jones might end up being "the best defensive player from this draft class" and Hightower can play ILB, moving Jerrod Mayo to the outside or vice versa.  Also loved getting Alfonzo Dennard in the 7th round who had a 2nd round grade from a lot of people.  Defense was certainly the Patriots weak point and they did a lot to try and sure things up.  No matter how much you love or hate the draft haul of your team no one will actually know how good it actually is until they get on the field but I have a lot of confidence that these guys will help turn our defense around and back to respectability again.

Cory

Quote from: JackHondo on April 30, 2012, 09:11:24 AM
Cincy had an INCREDIBLE draft. They fill the void left by J-Jo leaving in free agency last season with Dre Kirkpatrick. They filled a big gap in the O-line with Kevin Zeitler. They got their potential #2 receiver in Mohamed Sanu and a sleeper in Marvin Jones. They bolstered their D-line with two highly regarded tackes in Devon Still and Brandon Thompson.

The only -- only -- issue I had was not doing a lot on the running back side of things. They signed The Law Firm in the offseason, but that's going to be a running back by committee system next season. Drafting Boom Herron out of Ohio State in the sixth was more  a case of making the local fans happy than improving their back situation.

You guys also got Vontaze Burfict for nothing. Ultimate low risk, high reward signing. If he is ANYTHING like he was in 2011 you guys signed a top 15 pick easy. And if his issues persist you signed him as an undrafted rookie...no harm no foul.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Cory

Quote from: SPDougie on April 30, 2012, 06:47:52 PM
I was extremely happy with the New England Patriots draft.  The Tavon Wilson pick aside, Belichick went against his usual route of trading down and hoarding picks and got both Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower in the first round.  Considering our lack of pass rush over the past few seasons and the reluctance for drafting one I was pleased with this result.  I respect Mike Mayock's analysis immensely and he proclaimed that Jones might end up being "the best defensive player from this draft class" and Hightower can play ILB, moving Jerrod Mayo to the outside or vice versa.  Also loved getting Alfonzo Dennard in the 7th round who had a 2nd round grade from a lot of people.  Defense was certainly the Patriots weak point and they did a lot to try and sure things up.  No matter how much you love or hate the draft haul of your team no one will actually know how good it actually is until they get on the field but I have a lot of confidence that these guys will help turn our defense around and back to respectability again.

Like the Hightower pick, great depth and can plan with Mayo in the middle. DIdnt like Chandler Jones...they should have been able to get him in the 2nd. He's Jon Jones brother and all aka shit ton of arm length....but played for a smaller school and has some injury issues. Seems to be a risky pick for me, but he could easily end up as a starter. I think Jake Bequette is a more well rounded end then Jones.

Cory

As far as my Iggles...

Fletcher Cox was the best d-tackle in the draft, slipped out of top 10 and Philly gave up a 4th to go grab him. Cox will be an instant starter and its going to be "sacks on sacks" with Trent Cole, Jason Babin, Cullen Jenkins, and now Cox.

2nd round, Mychael Kendricks PAC 12 defensive player of the year, great open field tackler, cant stop the run and ran the fastest LB 40 in like 12 years (think I saw on twitter) so hes got wheels. Also loved the Vinny Curry pick, always been a Eagles fan = heart for the team, near replica of Trent Cole playing wise, and was 1st round grade in lots of mocks, getting him late in the 2nd was great.

CB Brandon Boykin many call one of the steals in the draft, hope to see what he can contribute. Still really pissed Philly didnt go after Lamar Miller (RB, Miami) to backup LeSean, but meh.

SPDougie

Quote from: Cory on May 01, 2012, 12:39:02 AM
You guys also got Vontaze Burfict for nothing. Ultimate low risk, high reward signing. If he is ANYTHING like he was in 2011 you guys signed a top 15 pick easy. And if his issues persist you signed him as an undrafted rookie...no harm no foul.

I've been to every Arizona State home game the past two season and Burfict is an overrated POS.  I am glad he went undrafted leaving school after his junior year though I'm not sure our new HC Todd Graham would have even wanted him back since the goal is to get rid of Dennis Erickson's undisciplined trash.  I really don't see Burfict making it in the NFL because 1) he's incredibly slow 2) takes a ton of plays off 3) has horrible instincts 4) leagues the world in getting bonehead personal fouls 5) is a complete mess of a person off the field.  Definitely no risk involved but the guy is trash, but I am a bit bias I guess lol.

SPDougie

Quote from: Cory on May 01, 2012, 12:42:42 AM
Like the Hightower pick, great depth and can plan with Mayo in the middle. DIdnt like Chandler Jones...they should have been able to get him in the 2nd. He's Jon Jones brother and all aka shit ton of arm length....but played for a smaller school and has some injury issues. Seems to be a risky pick for me, but he could easily end up as a starter. I think Jake Bequette is a more well rounded end then Jones.

Chandler Jones was one of the high risers in the draft, was originally projected as a third rounder but it changed about the last week of the draft so I'm not sure where he would have gone if the Patriots didn't trade up to get him.  I agree with you though that he definitely is a risk but if he stays healthy I think his ceiling is pretty high as a legitimate pass rushing stud.  I did like the Bequette pick as well since he was highly productive rushing the passer in the best conference in the country, even though he doesn't have a 40 time or explosiveness that will jump out at you.  Like always it'll be interesting to see in 2 or 3 years how well that draft was for everyone.  Always are plenty of surprises of people no one thought would ever do much becoming all-pros and sure fire "can't miss" prospects playing themselves (or in Jamarcus Russell's case eating themselves) out of the league.

SPDougie

Quote from: Cory on May 01, 2012, 12:46:35 AM
As far as my Iggles...

Fletcher Cox was the best d-tackle in the draft, slipped out of top 10 and Philly gave up a 4th to go grab him. Cox will be an instant starter and its going to be "sacks on sacks" with Trent Cole, Jason Babin, Cullen Jenkins, and now Cox.

2nd round, Mychael Kendricks PAC 12 defensive player of the year, great open field tackler, cant stop the run and ran the fastest LB 40 in like 12 years (think I saw on twitter) so hes got wheels. Also loved the Vinny Curry pick, always been a Eagles fan = heart for the team, near replica of Trent Cole playing wise, and was 1st round grade in lots of mocks, getting him late in the 2nd was great.

CB Brandon Boykin many call one of the steals in the draft, hope to see what he can contribute. Still really pissed Philly didnt go after Lamar Miller (RB, Miami) to backup LeSean, but meh.

I think the Eagles did extremely well in the draft and whole-heartedly agree with Fletcher Cox.  Defensive studs in SEC are usually the safest bets to become highly productive NFL players.  Boykin is also going to be special I think and was someone I was really hoping the Patriots would end up with, as he's got great ball skills and is a fantastic return man.  I was only disappointed that a seemingly yearly tradition of a draft day trade between Philly/NE ended, since both teams has traded with each other the past five or so straight drafts ha.

Hondo

Quote from: SPDougie on May 01, 2012, 04:17:02 AM
I've been to every Arizona State home game the past two season and Burfict is an overrated POS.  I am glad he went undrafted leaving school after his junior year though I'm not sure our new HC Todd Graham would have even wanted him back since the goal is to get rid of Dennis Erickson's undisciplined trash.  I really don't see Burfict making it in the NFL because 1) he's incredibly slow 2) takes a ton of plays off 3) has horrible instincts 4) leagues the world in getting bonehead personal fouls 5) is a complete mess of a person off the field.  Definitely no risk involved but the guy is trash, but I am a bit bias I guess lol.

I've heard a lot of ASU fans say this.

I'm an SEC guy myself, so I haven't watched any ASU games and I can't judge for myself. I know a lot of draft experts said he had a lot of talent but he had a lot of skeletons to go along with it.

I don't mind the signing, all it costs the team is a free agent tender. I'm cool with that.

Cincy takes a lot of chances on guys like this. Sometimes it doesn't pan out (Odell Thurman, AJ Nicholson), but if they can get a starter for peanuts, then I don't mind. So long as it doesn't cause locker room strife, of course.

One thing to consider too, Rey Maualuga is the starting ILB for Cincy and will probably serve a suspension to start the season. The backup is Dan Skuta, who has played ok at times but isn't what you'd call starter quality. If he can get his mind right, Burfict could very well start the season as the starting ILB.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Justin

Quote from: Cory on May 01, 2012, 12:46:35 AM
As far as my Iggles...

I think the Eagles had one of the better drafts.  They addressed their concerns on defense and got some good players.  I like the Brandon Boykins pick.  Being a Gamecocks die hard fan I've seen Boykins over the last couple of years and the guy can play football.

SPDougie

Quote from: JackHondo on May 01, 2012, 08:32:01 AM
I've heard a lot of ASU fans say this.

I'm an SEC guy myself, so I haven't watched any ASU games and I can't judge for myself. I know a lot of draft experts said he had a lot of talent but he had a lot of skeletons to go along with it.

I don't mind the signing, all it costs the team is a free agent tender. I'm cool with that.

Cincy takes a lot of chances on guys like this. Sometimes it doesn't pan out (Odell Thurman, AJ Nicholson), but if they can get a starter for peanuts, then I don't mind. So long as it doesn't cause locker room strife, of course.

One thing to consider too, Rey Maualuga is the starting ILB for Cincy and will probably serve a suspension to start the season. The backup is Dan Skuta, who has played ok at times but isn't what you'd call starter quality. If he can get his mind right, Burfict could very well start the season as the starting ILB.

May God have mercy on all your souls if Burfict ends up the starting ILB lol.  Even though I think the kid is a piece of trash maybe he'll gain some maturity since he isn't going to be coddled or have things handed to him like before.  He sure does have the talent if he can put it all together but we'll see if that ever happens.  Besides that though, I agree that the Bengals had a fantastic draft.  Only minor quibble I have is I think they should have drafted Cordy Glenn instead of Kevin Zeitler but that could just be the SEC bias in me.

Cory

Wisconsin lineman (Zeitler) > Georgia Lineman (Glenn)

IMO.