News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Vick signs with Eagles

Started by Cory, August 13, 2009, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

I'm confused on the move, they needed a better WR, or a Starting Linebacker, or a #2 TE.....and they get Vick.

I'm not pissed with the move, he could turn out good if they move to wildcat, but still. WTF?

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

jagilki

Eh.

I personally wouldn't of minded seeing him just... go away.

Cory

Hes an amazing football player.

I doubt that would have happened.

Exile

I called pat almost immediately afterwards and this will be a big topic on the Swafford and Lemke show recording tomorrow. BUt this is almost an idiotic move for both parties and very much a knee jerk reaction by the eagles who saw Kolb get a little banged up in practice this week but obviously was well enough for the preseason game.

This is just bad for two reasons. With any back up you want to be able to plug them into your system in the event of injury to your quarterback. This immediately doesn't work with Vick going in and trying to be a pocket quarterback which despite what people want to label McNabb, he is one. The eagles are built as a downfield attacking offense, very similar to the bill walsh west coast offense that the 49ers ran. Even thier running backs are more effective out of the swing than running in an I formation.

Which leads to point number 2. The eagles don't have the strongest offensive line, they are solid when they are playing simple pocket protect but McNabb takes bad hits and almost all of his numerous injuries have been on the scramble. Which is what vick does...almost exclusively. Even you are trying to build a wild card system around him, you dont have the personal to do it.

What this means is two things, the eagles i honestly think will try to trade vick at some point during the year after realizing they can probably get more for him than what they barely paid. And secondly, those offers that we were told were pouring in, obviously weren't. Vick is going to be a number 3 quarterback in a system that absolutely negates him. It could be a wash for the Eagles if it doesn't work, like i said the monetary value isn't great, but Vick could take another huge hit in credibility if he doesn't see the field enough to make an impression.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

He'll bet brought in for trick plays and thats about it. Wild Cat offense...line in as a wide receiver maybe as well. He is a gimmick. He does nothing for the Eagles offense 99% of the time which you guys have already covered. Basically, I think they just picked up a side show attraction and will throw him in every now and again to add confusion to the opposing defence.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Hondo

I'm on the fence with this move actually.

On the positive side, the Eagles upgraded over an untested Kolb in terms of a backup quarterback. (as long as McNabb doesn't go down in the first four games, that is) Plus it's a good PR move by the Eagles. All the free publicity is a good start, and the increased ratings when Vick is eligible again is a pretty good aside as well.

Negatives, as Lemke already pointed out, the Eagles system probably isn't the best fit for Vick. Vick is and always be a scrambling quarterback. And the Eagles' O-Line isn't the greatest in the world.  He needs that protection to be able to make those explosive moves. I doubt he's gonna get it here.

I really think he'd been better off signing with the Patriots, as had been slightly rumored, being Tom Brady's clipboard guy and studying under Belichick's system for a year and working out the rust.

And as far as him playing a bit of Wideout....maybe. I can see them moving Vick around the chart, maybe lining him up in the slot or maybe letting him play a little running back. Heck, he might even return a kick or two. I'm sure Reid would like to try it, but is Vick willing? Does he want to accept the fact that he's possibly got more value at other skill positions and NOT at quarterback? We'll see...

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Doug E Fresh

I heard their backup got injured...don't know how serious it was but Vick would take his spot if it were the case that it was serious.

Cory

Heres the way I see it.

Eagles have the biggest o-line in the NFL....I dont think anyone is under 6'5 or 300lbs. I think they'll do VERY well this season...if Shawn Andrews gets out from the Insane ward.

As Vick, heres the thing:

-He needed to go to a team that had a solidified #1 so he could train with the best to get back in form
-He'll be SICK in the wild-card,,,,McNabb & Vick in the backfield, for trick run plays...could be good.
-Vick was an ELITE QB when he was playing.....it's like Peyton Manning went to jail, and then he came back into the league for 2 million, everyone wants him. I know it's not the same, but as far as talent, close. Now the Iggles have 2 elite QB's.....which leads to the reason why I think they got Vick.

Trades. Teams like the Browns, Cheifs, Raiders, Lions, Panthers, etc. Are going to realize after this season that they need a QB......Vick by then would have establish that he hasn't lost a step, and probably has 2-0 record for the Eagles......I can see him playing late in the season to ensure that McNabb doesn't get hurt for the playoffs. Now, Eagles have a lot of leverage going into the next offseason, along with their salary cap, they can make huge trades happen, and all for making a 'cheap' investment this season on Vick.

Exile

the eagles O-line is one of the best POCKET protection O-LInes but these guys, thier tight ends, thier wide recievers, thier running backs do not and cannot block on the fly. THats the ONE thing that makes Miami so successful with thier wildcat is thier offensive line personnel is lighter and faster and can create situations. The eagles line is simply there to make sure no one gets to the QB in the hole. WHen mcnabb scrambles, he gets hurt almost every time.

Doug E Fresh

Now that Vick has had some practices, McNabb came out and said he and Vick might even be on the field at the same time.

Fnord

If their O-Line can work, Vick/McNabb in the Wildcat would ROCK!

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Cory

I like the animal rights people, always saying the dogs can't get a second chance, etc.

A lot of continents actually eat dogs as food, like Africa and Asia......and they're acting like he killed 8 people. Fucking tree huggers.

Yet no one mentions Donte Stallworth

Fnord

Shh!  He paid off his victim's family!  Don't mention him! 

Dogs are people too?   ::)

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 

T Jay

I don't really see Vick being a huge addition to the Eagles at all. I'm kind of wondering if it's just a situation where they pick him up, play him a little bit to show the rest of the NFL he can still play. Then try to trade him at some point for some one they need, or maybe for a good draft pick or who knows. He's obviously not going to replace McNabb when it's his time to go, even Philly can't be that dumb.

It's just the fact that as of right now (and I haven't been following it much the last few days so I may be wrong) Philly hasn't really stated what they could use him for. Sure the rumors of Wildcat possibilities and what not, but no clear cut plan how to use him has been stated. So it just makes me wonder if he was signed for his football abilities, or as a bargaining tool in the future.

Obviously somebody had to pick him up first, and now that he's signed to a team it takes the burden off of being the first team to sign him after his return, so any other team could probably go "Okay, somebody else signed him first, now we won't catch as much hell if we take him." In all honesty I hope that's the case, that Philly is going to use him as a bargaining chip after this season, and not keep him.

Fnord

That would be the smart way to go with it.