Man plays Grand Theft Auto IV for 40 hours, breaks record

Started by Black Death, October 21, 2009, 11:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Death

Man plays Grand Theft Auto IV for 40 hours, breaks record
by Mike Smith

Buzz up!

We've had an all-night gaming session or three in our time, but this is ridiculous.

Some records are made to be broken. By the same guy.
Chirantan Patnaik, a resident of Mumbai, India, became an official Guinness Record holder last month when he clocked over 40 continuous hours playing Rockstar's 2008 smash Grand Theft Auto IV, reports GameCulture. Patnaik trained for the marathon event by running, exercising, and yoga -- which no doubt prepared him well for Grand Theft Auto's themes of running, shooting, and stealing cars.

The previous record was held by a U.S. citizen and stood at a mere 28 hours and one minute. Patnaik, who has a day job as an equities trader, isn't done, either: he plans to challenge his own record in an attempt to make it to 48 hours.

"I enjoyed the game very much. It's fun playing long hours. It wasn't that exhaustive for me, as one might feel," Patnaik told long-running Indian news channel Zeenews. Under the rules laid down by Guinness, Patnaik could take a ten-minute break every hour, but he only took four over the course of his two-day session.

How did he keep his energy levels up? "Staying away from coffee and eating dates during my game helped me to stay alert and fit," he told Zeenews.

Maybe it's just us, but fiber-packed snacks like dates just don't seem like a good snack choice for a marathon like this. Chirantan, we admire your commitment...not to mention your intestinal fortitude.
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Zombie Gunn

You'd think this would have been higher.  I think I played Civilization 3 for like 20 hours back in my younger years once, wonder if I hit a record on that.