News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Jon Jones involved in Hit and Run

Started by Cory, April 27, 2015, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

MMAJUNKIE-

As reported earlier today, UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones is wanted for questioning in a hit-and-run case.

Jones has now been upgraded to a suspect in the case.

Sources informed MMAjunkie that the victim in the incident is pregnant, though her name and the stage of pregnancy have not been released. Police officers went to Jones' house and attempted to contact his lawyer but have yet to hear from the fighter.

The crime is currently classified as a misdemeanor, but one witness places Jones at the scene. Police are still currently looking to get Jones' side of the story, and no arrest warrant is currently planned to be issued. A summons will be issued, however, and Jones will have four weeks to show in court. Should he fail to appear in court, a warrant will be issued for his arrest.

The accident took place in the early morning Sunday and was vehicle-to-vehicle.

The UFC released a statement this evening.

"We are aware that the Albuquerque Police Department is interested in speaking to Jon Jones regarding his possible involvement in a motor vehicle accident," the statement read. "We are in the process of gathering facts and will reserve further comment until more information is available."

Jones (21-1 MMA, 15-1 UFC) is currently scheduled to defend his title against Anthony Johnson (19-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) in the headliner of UFC 187, a major pay-per-view that takes place May 23 in Las Vegas. Currently, Jones is still listed in the main-event spot.

For more on UFC 187, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Cory

Dana must be praying that no coke is found in the car

Jon

From inside sources in MMA...

This may not end well for Bones. Might be facing jail time if what they are hearing is factual.

Black mark in MMA when the face of the company keeps getting into trouble.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Cory

I think they said they found a pot pipe too.

Cory

Duckman

Pot pipe and pot.  Not good.  Plus the pregnant woman in the car suffered a broken arm, which means the charge is now a felony one due to her injuries.

He's handed himself in after a warrant was issued and been released on £2,500 bail.

This nugget needs to get this life in order and quick.  And UFC need to stop making excuses for him and get him the help he needs.  I know he's a big star and an incredibly talented fighter, but that's not going to mean anything if his behaviour outside the sport ends up with him in jail.

Can't see him fighting at UFC187 or for a while after it.  He really shouldn't.

I'd strip him of the title, get his ass into a proper rehab and try to get his life back into order.  There's got to be more going on here than him just being a guy who likes to party.  I used to love to party, big time, but it never affected my working life.

He reminds me of a kid who has been given too many second chances when he messes up and therefore doesn't learn how to actually act like an adult who is responsible for his actions.  Time for that to end if he wants to continue his career and be known as the greatest of all time - which he truly could be if gets his life in order.

They did the softly softly approach with his first DUI, christ knows what slight of hand they played with his positive drugs test, but now he's hurt an innocent member of the public and could've hurt an unborn child.  That's got to be a final straw for both him and the UFC.

I hope he gets it together because I love watching him fight and I think he's got the potential to be a guy who is remembered for years as one of the best fighters the sport has ever seen.  I don't want to see him end up like Mike Tyson - fleeced by management, 'friends' and family, jailed, broke and a parody of himself.  It's happened too often with exceptionally talented people who get too much too young. 

There's time for Jones to avoid that and actually grow the hell up and get his life back in order.  But he needs to do it now and the UFC need to do everything they can to get him out of the limelight, out of the headlines and into a way of life that means he can continue in the sport and stop making these dumb ass decisions that are now hurting people apart from him.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Flins.

It is not looking good for him. I'm expecting him to be stripped of the title and for Rumble to get another opponent pretty quickly, hopefully not DC, but who knows. It has been a steady decline in his personal life for the last few years, there doesn't appear to a support system within the sport or around Jones himself, and it is somewhat worrying where it could eventually lead.

Jon

Quote from: Flins. on April 28, 2015, 10:22:45 AM
It is not looking good for him. I'm expecting him to be stripped of the title and for Rumble to get another opponent pretty quickly, hopefully not DC, but who knows. It has been a steady decline in his personal life for the last few years, there doesn't appear to a support system within the sport or around Jones himself, and it is somewhat worrying where it could eventually lead.

I think either Cormier or Bader step-in to fight Rumble for the interim title.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Cory

Quote from: Jon on April 28, 2015, 10:24:59 AM
I think either Cormier or Bader step-in to fight Rumble for the interim title.

This.

But Sam is dead on with the Tyson reference. Tyson is my favorite boxer of all time, and its looking almost like a like for like with the paths their going down.

Duckman

Cormier is the bigger name out of the two.  I'd go with him, plus if he wins and Jones comes back - that's a money rematch right there.  Jones can do the whole 'you didn't beat me for the title' and Cormier can do the whole 'you threw away being champion.'

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Flins.

I'm a Rumble fan though, and I can see DC beating him :(

Cory

Quote from: Flins. on April 28, 2015, 12:54:35 PM
I'm a Rumble fan though, and I can see DC beating him :(

Same. I think the fight of Rumble and Jones needs to happen cause Rumble is the only dude who has a chance with some reach and more power than Jones.

Black Death

He been strip of the title and suspend indefinitely  ... being reported now

well least he can say now he never lose the title in the ring .

right now he going to need to get his life together ... big waste of talent
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Duckman

Rumble v Cormier for the Title confirmed.  Makes the most sense and should be a very interesting fight.  Would love to see Rumble win it - just cause he's been on such a tear since going to 205 but Cormier must know this is his best chance to finally become a MMA champion. 

Also got to give credit to the UFC for doing the exact right thing in these circumstances.  Let's hope it's a real wake up call for Jones and he gets his life in order.  He's had enough warning shots that he needs to make some serious changes to how he behaves.  Thankfully the pregnant woman in the other car seems to be recovering and no one else was more seriously injured.

Got to say though, it says a lot about a man's character when he flees the scene of a car crash, only to return to grab handfuls of cash and not to check on anyone else involved in the crash...