Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

The Social Network

I appreciate the work of David Fincher, he's one of the best directors of our generation - right up there with Nolan, Scorsese, and the Coens. A lot of people are lauding this movie as his best, and the best of the year. I disagree with both statements. I fail to see how riveting the Social Network is. That's not to say it isn't a good movie. It is. It's great. Jesse Eisenberg owns, and so does Justin Timberlake surprisingly. The story is nothing new, it's about Facebook obviously, but the editing it is great, it's funny, it's fast paced, and it's rewarding in the fact that most of us can pinpoint these exact instances in our lives to correspond with the moments in the film. Like when it was just called TheFacebook.

Of course, this doesn't make it the best film of the year in my eyes, which is so baffling to me as to why so many people believe it is. It's one of the best of the year, but it's far from perfect. My major gripe is that, in the end, it's a movie about a time wasting website, so often times while watching I felt like i was wasting my time again. Plus the story isn't entirely true (based off of a novel that has been shot down by Zuckerberg and co.). It's definitely in the top 10 of the year, but number one? Hardly.

B+

Tim-Æ

Just a little catch up.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Pretty unique film. I enjoyed the smooth blend of action and comedy. Michael Cera's great in it, and all of the ex boyfriends are played to perfection. Great soundtrack too.

B+

The Expendables

What a dumb movie. Most of it is build up for no reason. It's far more predictable than I was expecting. There are moments of great action that get ruined due to the shit awful editing that speeds up the action to where you can't even see what's going on. Stallone's an embarrassment and the films only saving grace as usual is Jason Statham and to some extent Jet Li. The whole Dolph Lundgren bullshit was gay.

D

Saving Private Ryan

After being told for over a decade to watch this, I finally did. Well worth it. Some of it's kind of gay (particularly the old man stuff at the beginning and end) but everyone turns in solid performances and the epic battle scenes are breathtaking. Great film. More than anything i was surprised by the cast of people I typically can't stand, like Barry Pepper, and Giovanni Ribisi, Adam Goldberg, and to some extent Vin Diesel.

A

Gary

Tim I am surprised it took you this long to see Saving Private Ryan.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Tim-Æ

Quote from: Hello I'm Awesome on October 17, 2010, 03:29:27 PM
Tim I am surprised it took you this long to see Saving Private Ryan.

I'm not too proud to admit it actually. I've been meaning to for years and just never got around to it. Now that I've seen it, I wish I'd watched it long ago.

Gary

If you liked it, you should check out Band of Brothers, same production team and I like it way better than the movie.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Tim-Æ

Quote from: Hello I'm Awesome on October 17, 2010, 06:32:10 PM
If you liked it, you should check out Band of Brothers, same production team and I like it way better than the movie.

Oddly enough, I've seen that and love it.

Tim-Æ

Knight & Day - Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz are great together, really good chemistry, but the films over the top plot, and silly action sequences make this a bit dull. It has an elevated second half which saves it from being typical (tho its more cliched than anything else this year), and the cast is really likable. I'd compare it to Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Two decent actors having fun, shooting shit, but following a terrible plot.

B-

Duckman

Kick Ass - just a fucking brilliantly original and entertaining film.  Excellent performances from all the cast.  Razor sharp script.  Fantastic fight/action scenes.  Hit Girl was obviously the best thing in the movie but Mark Strong also looked like he was having the time of his life as the main bad guy.  Probably one of the best films I've seen this year. 

Iron Man 2 - you know...I liked it.  I didn't even mind how boring Scarlett Johansson was in it.  Lots of crash bang wallop and kind of obvious where everything was going.  Mickey Rourke's character needed much more screen time though.  RDJ was great although the nudge, nudge, wink, wink of his performance did get a bit grating after a while.  Still it was enjoyable.  Nowhere near as good as Kick Ass but it's a total different concept so can't really judge 'em against each other.  Still, I was never bored and with superhero movies that's not always the case.  Pretty good but flawed in places.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Quadzilla

Die Hard - Best Christmas Movie. Ever. Get bent if you think otherwise. It's epic in every way. 10/10 Statham's

And Sam, you diss my wife to be in public again, and I'll fucking choke you out. No homo.

Quote from: Russaholic Ewe-ing on February 07, 2012, 03:14:24 PM
By revealing to me that I can play MGS on the Xbox you received the award of BEING THE BEST HUMAN BEING FUCKING EVER.

Duckman

Oh come on dude she's more wooden than Pinocchio's cock in that movie!  Great to look at I agree but boring as hell.

Anyway, she might be your wife, but she's my little sport fuck!!

Peace

Duckman

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Jonny Worldbeater

Yeah, incredibly bland character, but you can't tell me that you didn't pop/laugh your ass off at Scarlett Johansson doing lucha out of bugfuck nowhere.  ;D

Duckman

I did have a moment where she did the headscissors on the dude and I wished I was him!!

Peace

Duckman

Quadzilla

SHE'S FUCKING PERFECT ALRIGHT??
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Love you really Jimbo, but be warned. I are hardcore.

Quote from: Russaholic Ewe-ing on February 07, 2012, 03:14:24 PM
By revealing to me that I can play MGS on the Xbox you received the award of BEING THE BEST HUMAN BEING FUCKING EVER.

Jonny Worldbeater

Just got finished watching Big Trouble in Little China. It's nuts. The whole movie drives full throttle headlong into Crazy Awesome territory almost immediately and never slows down, just rifling along at a blistering pace, but even while crazy shit is bombarding you every second it doesn't really become confusing or disorientating, and as cheesy as it is it's never not entertaining.

It's pretty much a quintessential 80's action movie.

Adam Wrong

Tron Legacy: To put it briefly - fucking amazing. I love the original and this was simply superb. The bike scenes and the disc fights were amazing. The CGI was brilliant, the story was great (bar a few minor holes) The 3d is really worth it and most importantly of all... the score for this is fucking amazing. Daft Punk have done a superb job with this and I can fully see them taking awards for this. Martin Sheen is epic as Castor and the bird from House is in it too!

If you like Tron then you will love this. Particular Markout points included the opening sequence, the entering the arcade score and the appearance of Tron himself.

It's set itself up for a sequel with an uncredited appearance by Cillian Murphy and I fully hope that they do it.