Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Fnord on November 10, 2011, 07:46:00 PM
I have to agree completely.  This movie was horrible.  I had high hopes because the first one was something that in some strange way really enjoyed.  I watched this and just shook my head after.  I didn't laugh or cringe or anything.  I was straight-faced the whole time.  I was very very disappointed.

Though the main atagonist I thought gave a pretty disappointing performance.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Gary

Just saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes and it was such a good movie, way better than any reboot/remake should be. The performance by Andy Serkis was fucking awesome, and the story was really good. Can't wait to see the sequel.

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Jonny Worldbeater

A couple of recent ones I finally checked out:

Captain America: Probably one of the best and most well-handled superhero movies I've seen, up there with Dark Knight & Iron Man. The performances were all very good and the inclusion of some major Hollywood mainstays like Hugo Weaving, Tommy Lee Jones & Stanley Tucci gave it kind of an air of credibility that I think a lot of casual fans probably don't have when going into a 'comic book movie'. Yeah, it's still pretty cheesy and cornball at some points, but it's actually aware of that and celebrates it, playing up the cheesiness to the hilt when necessary.

The Pre-Cap Steve Rogers did look a little off, but it didn't take me out of the movie and they played him up as the ultimate underdog as well as you could've hoped.

I also really liked the fact that after he becomes Captain America he isn't just immediately thrown in at the front lines of every major military operation like you might expect and the character & costume of 'Captain America' actually starts out as a publicity stunt before he goes on to become the icon and American hero that he was made to be. That, and the chrous number they did for that montage was awesome.

Really, I have only a few minor nitpicks in that I think the Bucky Barnes deal, which any comic book fan will know about, could've been handled a little better and the last line before the credits - while it did give off a bit of a melancholy vibe - was kind of a lame line to go out on.

Besides that though I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to The Avengers largely because of it.

Cowboys & Aliens: This one I saw just last night, and I don't really have a lot to say about it. It was fine. It gave me what I was looking for from a movie with the cheesiest title since Snakes On A Plane.

However, I have to admit it I wasn't expecting it to take itself as seriously as it did. It wasn't bad, it was just that they played the premise surprisingly straight for a concept so ridiculous.

And again the story, characters and performances were all solid, though I did personally find the movie a little formulaic and from time to time it was pretty easy for me to pick out exactly what was going to happen. Again, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing since in many cases the predictable thing is exactly what you want to happen, and there were a few nice curveballs thrown in there to kind of even things out, but just all in all I think maybe I've seen too many movies, online reviews and deconstructions of common tropes that I was really surprised by a lot.

And if there was anything that really didn't work for me, and again only as a few minor nitpicks, it was the aliens. The overall design and the CGI was okay but there were some aspects that, well, let me just say when you're trying to make your monsters intimidating and reminding me of something from Drawn Together or Battlefield Earth, that's not going to work out too well.

Also, it was never clear to me exactly why the aliens were even abducting people to begin with as they really don't seem to have much of a reason.

So yeah, it was a fine movie and I'd recommend at least giving it a look but I can't exactly say it was anything special to me.

Cory

The move Warrior was actually pretty good.....dont think saying it was as good as Rocky is a fair statement, but the movie wasnt bad, was acted pretty well and the story was kinda predictable, but very convincing.

Anyways, the ending of the movie was total trash....one of THE worst endings i've ever seen. So theres two brothers (who at 16 for own specific reasons split up with mother/father) who meet in the finals of the worlds best mma tournament for $5,000,000.

On one side theres Tommy, who fled the Army after saving his entire fleet of troops lives, became a war hero over night, and is fighting so he can give the prize money to the wife/family of a friend who died in war. Tommy has no family, and is evident very lonely and has a drug problem (which he drops when he begins training for the tournament). On the other side, theres Brandon whose stuck in a teaching job and after his daughters heart surgery his house faces foreclosure, which is why hes fighting in this tournament. FYI .....In the end, Brandon wins the tournament.

So already we've established that in the typical movie setting, Tommy is fighting for the bigger/important reasons and should win the money.

Then, middle of the movie, it pans to Brandon home with his insanely hot wife, and his house is like....a $400,000-$600,000 house.  How in the FUCK are you supposed to make the guy who wins the tournament, the guy their trying to make you feel MORE sorry for (hence why he won) they guy whose trying to live WAY above his means. Watching this with my girlfriend, when it panned to his house she was like "wow that's a huge house". THIS guy, beats the lonely war hero whose fighting for a widow of a fallen comrade.

The ending really ruined a great movie.

7/10

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Ty

Quote from: Cory on December 15, 2011, 01:19:29 AM
The move Warrior was actually pretty good.....dont think saying it was as good as Rocky is a fair statement, but the movie wasnt bad, was acted pretty well and the story was kinda predictable, but very convincing.

Anyways, the ending of the movie was total trash....one of THE worst endings i've ever seen. So theres two brothers (who at 16 for own specific reasons split up with mother/father) who meet in the finals of the worlds best mma tournament for $5,000,000.

On one side theres Tommy, who fled the Army after saving his entire fleet of troops lives, became a war hero over night, and is fighting so he can give the prize money to the wife/family of a friend who died in war. Tommy has no family, and is evident very lonely and has a drug problem (which he drops when he begins training for the tournament). On the other side, theres Brandon whose stuck in a teaching job and after his daughters heart surgery his house faces foreclosure, which is why hes fighting in this tournament. FYI .....In the end, Brandon wins the tournament.

So already we've established that in the typical movie setting, Tommy is fighting for the bigger/important reasons and should win the money.

Then, middle of the movie, it pans to Brandon home with his insanely hot wife, and his house is like....a $400,000-$600,000 house.  How in the FUCK are you supposed to make the guy who wins the tournament, the guy their trying to make you feel MORE sorry for (hence why he won) they guy whose trying to live WAY above his means. Watching this with my girlfriend, when it panned to his house she was like "wow that's a huge house". THIS guy, beats the lonely war hero whose fighting for a widow of a fallen comrade.

The ending really ruined a great movie.

7/10

Army heroes never lose in the movies unless their bad guys.

jagilki

Y'know, I'd honestly like to see a movie where the evil dick wins.

Ty

Quote from: jagilki on December 15, 2011, 01:52:27 AM
Y'know, I'd honestly like to see a movie where the evil dick wins.

The best I've seen is Arlington Road

jagilki

Should of been more specific, I was meaning in the sports/boxing/fighting genre

! JDM The Professional !

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

¿PapaPancho?

New Years Eve ....

It got me laid.  End of Review

Black Death

Quote from: MaskedLuchaLibre on December 15, 2011, 04:06:20 AM
New Years Eve ....

It got me laid.  End of Review

Well you win ... lol

I finally watch Green Lantern... it was not bad , I like it  there were some good elements in it  and some bad.  But I had no problem with it and hope they would do a Sequel to it. Thought they set up  Sinestro nicely to fall from grace and lead him to conflict with Hal. love to see round 2 between them this time for real ... Phallex probably should not have been the main villain and pretty much should not have done the Hammond story line at all . you think they could have got better villains for Hal to test his mantle on than Hammond .   

Ryan Reynolds did a great job and Blake Lively is fine lady  Mark Strong was great as Sinestro
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Black Death on December 15, 2011, 04:16:12 AMWell you win ... lol

I finally watch Green Lantern... it was not bad , I like it  there were some good elements in it  and some bad.  But I had no problem with it and hope they would do a Sequel to it. Thought they set up  Sinestro nicely to fall from grace and lead him to conflict with Hal. love to see round 2 between them this time for real ... Phallex probably should not have been the main villain and pretty much should not have done the Hammond story line at all . you think they could have got better villains for Hal to test his mantle on than Hammond .   

Ryan Reynolds did a great job and Blake Lively is fine lady  Mark Strong was great as Sinestro

Speaking of Green Lantern, about maybe a week ago I finally got around to actually watching the Green Lantern: First Flight animated movie, and honestly... The live action movie did a much better job.

I mean, as far as establishing the origin story, the rules of the lantern powers, establishing characters and their story arcs, you know just BEING a Green Lantern story, the live action film did a much, MUCH better job.

It wasn't really BAD per say, just kind of meh. Pretty much every one of the characters just came off really bland, ESPECIALLY Hal Jordan. I don't think the guy's expression, his tone of voice and his reactions to what was going on changed a single time throughout the course of the movie. And I know that's kind of how Hal Jordan has been portrayed in the comics for a while, but MAN was it unengaging and pretty friggin' boring.

I have yet to check out the Emerald Knights movie, but if you're interested in getting into Green Lantern, between the animated and live action I'd definitely say watch the Ryan Reynolds version over the animated origin.

Cory

Quote from: TyTy (formerly Trifecta) on December 15, 2011, 01:41:27 AM
Army heroes never lose in the movies unless their bad guys.

Well watch this movie, prove that statement wrong.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Gary

[/center]

Quote from: jagilki on October 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM
Midas would chop off his Penis if he thought it would win him a Mafia game.

Black Death

Well let break down what I  have watch in the past month

Smurfs ( 2011)

I grew up watching the smurfs and I have nothing but  fond memories of them.  I love this movie  I brought back all those great memories when I was a kid watching the on Saturday morning. It was funny , heartwarming , taught some great lesson and Hank Azaria as Gargamel is awesome   , He and Arazel the cat had me laughing long after the movie was over 
I really love this movie , It made me feel good after it was over .

Warrior

Great movie , I think it already been reviewed so not going into much detailed but I like the story and the MMA fights in the movie was top notch . I recommend it

Super 8

Coming of age story mixed with a monster story and a small zombie movie sprinkle in. if you watch the film you understand about the zombie part.  I like it

Kung Fu Panda 2

If you like the first one , than you are not going  to have a problem with this movie. I think it might have even been better than the first one.

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"