Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

American Pie: Reunion

You can look at this film two ways. Its not as funny as the original 2 I'd say (third one being total shit), but its a good nostalgia feel to it. As a man over 30 now and who sometimes has trouble letting go of those wild and wacky days with the boys it hit home on a lot of levels for me lol.

Major positive was getting all the main players from the original back in the movie and touching on a lot of things as 30 somethings people experience in relationships as well as moving forward with their lives or a feeling of inadequacy compared to their peers growing up. I was an exchange student in the US in the 90s and went to the high school reunion when it came about and it was amazing to see how many hadnt got on with their lives or achieved anything it seemed.

The humour was severely lacking in this one much like the wedding one, but it does leave a lump in your throat and draws a lot of things to their natural conclusion if you were a fan of the American Pie series discounting their direct to DVD ones.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Jonny Worldbeater

The Avengers

Saw it last week. Was a very good movie but I'm not sure it really achieved the level of specialness it needed to, though if it didn't it came pretty close.

Honestly, for as much as there was to like in the movie (and there was a LOT to like) I must say there were a few little things that I thought were kinda lame. Like within the first 15 minutes the movie reminded me very strongly of at least 5 different other movies & TV shows it looked like it was blatantly cribbing from, a couple of the conversations really did nothing for me & I thought a few of the action scenes were a little unfocused, jumpy & dragged on too long, & I couldn't help but focus on how Scarlett Johanssen's expression & tone of voice virtually never changes, how Thor kind of came off a bit as the buttmonkey of the team in this outing & how Hawkeye was really wishing he was Nathan Fillion.

Also,
[spoiler]killing off a popular supporting character who'd been with the team since the beginning to give weight to the story... Up to your old tricks I see, Joss.[/spoiler]

I'll say for this move as well having had some time to reflect: I think it probably captures the experience of a comic book better than any other comic book film to date.

All in all, I've seen better, but I've seen a lot worse & I'd still probably rank it in the upper echelon as far as comic book movies go.

However, the thing that really made the movie for me was the teaser for the sequel.

THAT was fucking genius. ALL of my money for that.

Cory

Quote from: Trumpers on May 03, 2012, 08:07:55 AM
American Pie: Reunion

You can look at this film two ways. Its not as funny as the original 2 I'd say (third one being total shit), but its a good nostalgia feel to it. As a man over 30 now and who sometimes has trouble letting go of those wild and wacky days with the boys it hit home on a lot of levels for me lol.

Major positive was getting all the main players from the original back in the movie and touching on a lot of things as 30 somethings people experience in relationships as well as moving forward with their lives or a feeling of inadequacy compared to their peers growing up. I was an exchange student in the US in the 90s and went to the high school reunion when it came about and it was amazing to see how many hadnt got on with their lives or achieved anything it seemed.

The humour was severely lacking in this one much like the wedding one, but it does leave a lump in your throat and draws a lot of things to their natural conclusion if you were a fan of the American Pie series discounting their direct to DVD ones.

THIS

Plus I nearly pissed myself with Jims Dad was trying to scale the side of Stiflers house when the cops showed up. That may have been one of the funniest parts out of any money.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Avengers:

I have been looking forward to this despite the fact I am not a massive comic book fan. To get a cast of that magnitude was a massive plus for me. Notable things I liked:

[spoiler]- The fact we didn't waste much time with action. Some of the movies building up to this got lost in a lot of non fight scenes as we tried to tell a story, this one for me didn't miss a beat in that regard.

- The teaser at the end left it open I like that a lot.

- Loki...just screamed annoying weasel the entire film, nice casting and nice work.

- During the major fight scene the moment between Thor and Hulk...everyone will know what I mean who saw it, I near on pissed my pants.

- Good links between the previous films even down to Thor's fancy piece was explained. This...I thought was well done.[/spoiler]

NEGATIVES:

[spoiler]- Hulk's apparent face turn without any justification. What confused me was that one minute he is running around trying to kill Black Widow and everyone is shitting themselves about him...next minute he is a happy go lucky member of the Avengers cool with taking orders from Captain America. Slightly confused by this...unless this was explained and I missed it. It was very similar to the Hyde scenario in League of Gentlemen movie. But that was better acted and explained better...even for a shitty movie.

- Black Widow and Hawk. Ok I just didn't buy into the fact they were this amazing. Widow and her flying through the air on the monster scooter thing. Hawk just being a general badass who could kill anyone and makes Robin Hood look like Phil the Power Taylor. I think...that needed a bit more backstory to make me a believer.

- Captain America...what a loser. Sorry, at one stage his highest achievement was pulling a red lever...which he almost fucked up.

- Casting for Banna was ok...but I love continuity and was disappointed they couldn't get Norton back. Though his portrayal of Hulk and Banna might not have been so user friendly.

- RDJ's comedic lines...compared to the two Iron Man films, I found he apped up his one liners pace a bit too much so sometimes they became less about a witty one liner and more about 'what did he just say, I missed that'...

- Loki and Hulk bit...I felt at the end I was being thrown into a one of the later Batman installments...all I needed was Mr. Freeze to appear and say 'Ice to see you...'[/spoiler]
Overall though enjoyed the film a lot. I thought it had an excellent pace about it and I was [spoiler]literally concerned for Iron Man towards the end[/spoiler].

Solid B+

James

Two movies I have seen recently that came through Netflix:

Moneyball: Damn good movie. I always liked sports movies in general, but this one was damn good. It was nice seeing Billy Beane's approach towards winning being shown on the big screen. Brad Pitt played the roll spectacularly. I give it a 9/10.

Fast Five: I wasn't expecting much from this one as the last two sucked in my opinion, but this one was damn good. It was nice to see the characters from the first two films of the series all in one movie, and the addition of The Rock. I thought both Vin Diesel and Rock did damn well with their scenes. I enjoyed it from beginning to end and now I want a sequel. This gets a 9.5/10.

JakeV

I watched The Avengers Saturday. I loved it. I think it was one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. They made a great move by choosing Mark Ruffalo to replace Edward Norton. Edward Norton is an incredibly powerful actor, who demands presence. It was hard for him to pull off the whole "socially weird" thing. Mark Ruffalo is a guy who pulled off the nerdy, scientist, socially awkward guy perfectly. I loved it.

Captain America's role, I think, fit him exactly to a T. Captain America is a guy who is in The Avengers because he's a leader. He's the glue that holds the whole operation together. He isn't a man of steel, he can't fly, but he's a leader, and he loves his team.

I also seen Cabin in the Woods this weekend. MOTHER OF GOD. If you haven't seen, please, please go do. It is incredible. Don't read the plot summary or the synopsis. Don't ask your friends about what happens. Just go see it. That's what I did, and boy, was it worth it. I don't even have words to describe it.

Believe!

Cory

I watched American Pie: Reunion and it was a decent flick. I enjoyed the 1st half of the movie was it was more humorous but the last half kind of was nostalgic and tied up the lose ends of the characters. If you liked any of the other American Pies, you'll love this one. Also, I think this may have been Eugene Levy's best one. He was fucking hilarious in this movie.

B+

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Dark Shadows

Never saw the original tv show, so I was kind of new to this. Going in I read a review that all the best bits were in the trailer...subsquently outside having a smoke post film I heard one dude say the same thing. I agree entirely.

I just didnt buy into it. I think having it based in the 70s missed a beat with the teen audience of today and as a 12a thats where it lies. Further to this there were a few risky bits I dont think should have been 12A at all.

I just struggled to find myself laughing a lot and given I got some of the references to the time period, I wonder how the younger audiences would feel.

I consider this a miss from Tim Burton, though the acting was very good as were the effects the story was very...meh....

D plus from this reviewer.

Marq

The Hulk "face turn" was a little hard to grasp at first, but if you saw the Ed Norton "Incredible Hulk" movie, it's clear at the end he can control it.

From what I surmised, the reason why he went berserk in the helicarrier was 'cause it was forced -- Banner did NOT want to turn then, but by the time it happened, it was too late. In the final battle, it was clear both Banner/Hulk were on the same page so the transformation was seamless.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Its interesting though that both Jack and I picked that out in our reviews or thoughts. Maybe it wasnt put across well enough as I dont consider either of us that stupid lol. My missus on the otherhand...she didnt get it as well, but then again...shes no Trumps or Benevolence.

Tezmission Black

Quote from: Jack Benevolence on May 14, 2012, 11:25:47 AM

[spoiler]-Hulk face turn...didn't make sense how he could control it suddenly...
-Flying aircraft carrier, to me, was cheesy as hell, but it worked.
-I just saw Thor a few days ago, so spoiler within a spoiler [spoiler]-Loki broke the bridge to come to Earth at the end, so Thor COULDN'T come back...they kind of brushed over how he got around that...[/spoiler][/spoiler]

This is a response to the spoiler inside the spoiler.

[spoiler]Loki mentioned something during his first scene he had with Thor saying that the All father must be tired after using all his power to send Thor to Earth to come get him.[/spoiler]

Black Death

[spoiler]Odin did have the power to send him to earth now because he does not have to worry about the Frost -giants anymore ... Loki was key on destroying them... Loki was counting on Odin to send Thor to Earth.and factor that into his plan. He mention it to Thor in there first meeting after he takes him from the plane 
[/spoiler]
My thoughts on Thor coming to earth

[spoiler]On the Hulk face turn ... On the Heli-carrier . he felt betrayed and after the explosion it was the last thought running through his mind as he changed ... also he was fixed on Black Widow. blaming her so hulk went after her..  then Thor appears and the fight is on ... hey it a fight  Hulk don't care who at the moment .  Basically, Bruce was lost in the anger. in the last battle  he was in full control ... it not a stretch because in the comic Bruce was able to master the beast side ... Hell he started to stay in that form more and more ...   Puny God best secne ever  lmao [/spoiler]

my thought on Hulk face turn
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I like the way we are all trying to justify this so much when in fact to the non comic book fan that doesn't want to admit it was kind of a shit moment in the film...it was just a shit moment for people who werent heavily invested in the comics or the backstory of big green dude.

They didn't pull that bit off simple as that.

Black Death

I agree , for non-comic fans it was not as clear as it could have been. 

There is point where  the filmmaker goes the hell with it , let just go with the flow and hope the audience gets it. 

I thought they did a great job with explaining  a lot in the back story  of characters and why the events were happening this way and not blogging down the film with all of it.

What I love about the film they actually gave his things that us... comic book geeks what to see in a comic book movie .  There one point in the major fight Cap and Iron Man team up and use the  Cap Shield / Iron Man hand blast combo. against there enemies ... nearly jump out of my seat for that one.

[spoiler][spoiler]The Heli -Carrier is straight from the comic.  It is SHIELD headquarters in the Marvel Universe... that why for non-comic fan  yeah it same cheesy , but for his comic nerds... geek out moment.[/spoiler][/spoiler] 
For Jack Benevolence
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Cory

I just watched Dark Shadows tonight, and it was alright flick. Depp was very good....and the main villain chick had maybe the nicest rack Ive ever seen. The plot its self was predictable, but the acting was well done. Reminded me a lot of Edward Scissor hands, maybe a bit more humor. The ending was pretty enjoyable as well.

3.5/5 stars.