Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Kyd

Quote from: Kirk on February 23, 2013, 06:34:34 AM
I agree that the acting was very good and wathching the two main characters playing off each other made the film watchable. I didn't hate it, I just didn't get it or enjoy it all that much. My comments were aimed more at some of the critics that have been gushing about it. If you enjoyed it or understood it, fair play to you. I keep trying to broaden my horizons and watch more arty films but I'm starting to think that I should just stick to Arnie films.

That's good you are trying out new things at least.

For a Good Time, Call. I really enjoyed this movie. Considering it is about girls starting a phone sex line, the dialogue is a bit over the top but it doesn't go too far, which I was glad to see. I also like this movie because of the heart that was portrayed. In these somewhat raunchy comedies, the story is usually the part that lacks. In this case, the story allows for some growth with the main characters and it adds quite a bit to the story. I give it a 3 out of 5 stars.

Crazy Kyd

Robot and Frank. Really good comedy with Frank Langella. It is about an old man who gets a robot from his son, so the son doesn't have to keep taking care of him. The acting is very good, and the robot has some pretty funny lines. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Frozen. I've seen this movie before, and I found it for $6 on blu-ray at Walmart. Great deal. The movie is about three friends on a ski trip who decide to pay off a worker to let them make one last run before the place closes. This decision leaves them stranded on a ski lift, screaming for help. Extremely well done, and pretty well acted. There is a lot of tension throughout and it makes you want to cringe. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Kill For Me. Not a good movie. The story is so simplistic, that you don't even need to guess what will happen next. The story suffers because it opens up in a bad place and there is no room for much development between characters. The acting is pretty good. Katie Cassidy and Tracy Spiridakos do their best to make this movie watchable and give pretty good performances as a result. In fact, the only reason why I watched this movie was because I'm a fan of these two. Unless you want to watch a movie that doesn't take much thought, skip it. I give it 2 out of 5 stars.

Black Death

Wreck it Ralph ... I love this film ... Awesome  , going to end up buying it.   just love all the video games characters and references  in it. 

Great Story
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Crazy Kyd

Safety Not Guaranteed. Great movie. It is a drama/comedy that has a lot of heart, which is something I like to see with these types of movies. The story focuses on more than just the time travel bit, which was nice to see and they focused on all of the characters and their relationships. I give the movie 4 out of 5 stars.

Marq

Quote from: Crazy Kyd on March 19, 2013, 09:00:01 PM
Safety Not Guaranteed. Great movie. It is a drama/comedy that has a lot of heart, which is something I like to see with these types of movies. The story focuses on more than just the time travel bit, which was nice to see and they focused on all of the characters and their relationships. I give the movie 4 out of 5 stars.

Seconded. Saw it a bit ago (for the always-smokin' Aubrey Plaza) on Netflix and was absolutely floored by how good it was. A lot of "heart" is exactly what I'd say, as well.
"Behind you, Primo! WATCH OUT!"

Dorling

Watched 'La Horde' tonight.

Been watching a lot of foreign language horror style movies.

This was a lot of fun. There's something about French swear words and zombies that just works. Watch it.

Rob.B

Quote from: Marq on March 20, 2013, 11:28:32 AM
Seconded. Saw it a bit ago (for the always-smokin' Aubrey Plaza) on Netflix and was absolutely floored by how good it was. A lot of "heart" is exactly what I'd say, as well.

Thirded, watched this a few days ago and it was one of the best movies I've seen in awhile.

Crazy Kyd

Anna Karenina. I personally liked the film. It does feel slow when it gets to the midway point but the directing was very daring and it worked. I personally liked how it made it seem like all of the actions of the characters were taken place on stage, like with the horse race. The acting was very good as well. I give the movie 3 out of 5 stars.

REC 3: Genesis. This is a good movie. I was very upset that the found footage element stops after about the beginning of the movie. While it makes sense since the movie was kind of a comedy/action movie for the second half, the movie would have done decently well as a horror film. The directing was a bit repetitive when it got ready for a death or fight scene, which took away from the "shock" value a little bit. I also didn't like how the surroundings looked too bright during the found footage part of the movie. The house and church didn't seem very realistic with how bright everything was, regardless if the characters were saying they were shooting the events in HD. The acting was pretty good. I give the movie 2 out of 5 stars.

Dorling

Quote from: Crazy Kyd on March 24, 2013, 03:11:28 AM
REC 3: Genesis. This is a good movie. I was very upset that the found footage element stops after about the beginning of the movie. While it makes sense since the movie was kind of a comedy/action movie for the second half, the movie would have done decently well as a horror film. The directing was a bit repetitive when it got ready for a death or fight scene, which took away from the "shock" value a little bit. I also didn't like how the surroundings looked too bright during the found footage part of the movie. The house and church didn't seem very realistic with how bright everything was, regardless if the characters were saying they were shooting the events in HD. The acting was pretty good. I give the movie 2 out of 5 stars.

Have you seen the first 2? Outstanding, both of them.

Crazy Kyd

Quote from: Dorling on March 24, 2013, 04:24:18 PM
Have you seen the first 2? Outstanding, both of them.

I have not, because I can't find them anywhere. Since I saw the 3rd one, I will eventually get around to it.

The Call. Not that great of a movie and obviously more appeals to the female audience. This is a good movie if you want something that doesn't require much thinking. I give it 2 out of 5 stars.

Iron Sky. Terrible movie. It's basically about World War II Nazi's who were part of a space program who never got word that the war ended. Sarah Palin is the president, and of course a lot of other dumb situations that just can't be taken seriously at all. While it tries to be creative, it is painful to watch. I don't want to rate it, but I must. I give it 1 out of 5 stars.

Silent Night. This is the remake of the movie, or movies of the same name that has Santa Claus going around and killing all the naughty men, women, boys, and girls. The movie is actually decent considering what the horror/slasher genre usually has out. While most of the characters are not "dumb" in the horror movie sense, nothing is very interesting except for a few creative death scenes. The acting was pretty decent as well. I give it 2 out of 5 stars.

Argo. I finally saw Argo and I liked it. Personally, I didn't like it as much as I feel I should but Ben Affleck does a great job as the director. He adds a bit more drama and life into the story and proves why he is a great director. The acting was well done. I give the movie 4 out of 5 stars.

Cory

Argo was amazing, best thriller I've ever seen.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Crazy Kyd

The Raid: Redemption. This was a very good movie. While the movie lacks story, it makes up with a lot of action. There is a story there and it is very straight forward but it is also predictable. The action scenes were pretty creative at times. The choreography during the martial arts/hand-to-hand combat scenes were amazing. It's hard to say that the acting was good because I saw the English dubbed version, but it wasn't bad. I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars.

Cory

Spring Breakers

Weird. Like its really really good in some parts and a brutal chick flick "I want all these bitches to die horribly" in others. Selena Gomez was awful and James Franco should win an award, fucking did an awesome job.

3/5

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Crazy Kyd

Rust and Bone. Really good movie. It's a foreign film, so if you don't like reading subtitles then it is one to pass on. The story was kind of depressing. The acting was very good though. I give the movie 4 out of 5 stars.

Chasing Mavericks. This is an alright movie. It's not the best and it is the same sort of heartwarming and tragic story we've seen and heard of before. It's based on a true story, so I don't mean to take anything away from the actual events but in terms of a movie, we have seen it before. The story is the biggest part of this movie and because of that, the rest of it suffers. The acting, except for Gerard Butler, wasn't that great. It is easy to sit through though. I give this movie 2 out of 5 stars.

The Collection. This is a terrible movie. While I wasn't expecting this one to be gold, I was excited to see it because I loved The Collector. The beginning started to show the typical horror movie set up, which is fine, but after that everything went downhill. Half of the introduced characters get killed off almost immediately during an almost pointless bloodbath that claims the lives of many unnamed characters as well. Other than the two main characters, you don't care about the next set of characters. The story is very simple and very vague, which is fine for a slasher/horror movie but it is how much they failed to even make the viewer care why the killer is "collecting." The biggest thing that irritates me the most is the fact that the main female doesn't do a damn thing other than run away. It would have been nice to at least see her fight a bit. One of the things in the plus column are the "traps." The traps made for some interesting death scenes. The acting was decent. Better than typical horror movies nowadays but still not the best. I give this movie 1 out of 5 stars.

Jonny Worldbeater

Dredd

I'd heard a lot of good things about this movie, but I missed the chance to see it when it was out in theaters. The DVD finally came out about a week ago and I finally got a chance to check it out.

Brilliant stuff. Easily one of the best action movies I've seen in years and one of the best movies, period of 2012.

Unlike the campy 90's Judge Dredd film, this movie clearly had an understanding of and affection for its source material, took it seriously, and wanted to make sure it was played straight.

So you've got a very harsh, gritty view of a post-apocalyptic future which - much like another great recent sci-fi film, Looper - gives us a fairly grounded, realistic view of a not-too-distant future where gang rule is supreme and a select few are charged with the enforcement of the law against impossible odds.

I've seen this movie compared to The Raid (another brilliant action movie from last year I finally got around to seeing recently) a number of times and there are similar elements, such as the general plot of police officers being trapped inside a hostile environment and having to fight their way to the big boss against a tower of gang members who want them dead, and the fact that it is a tremendous action movie, but the similarities are superficial at best, and Dredd is definitely it's own beast.

The story and characters seem fairly straightforward, but there's nothing wrong with that, and it never failed to keep me engaged from beginning to end. Karl Urban was awesome as Dredd and has got to be, IMO, one of the most underutilised actors around right now because he just keeps hitting his performances out of the park. Also great was Olivia Thirlby, who played the secondary lead, Dredd's rookie partner Anderson, who possesses psychic abilities (and it plays out much cooler than it might sound).

The villain, played by Lena Headey of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, was badass too. A mutilated prostitute turned drug lord and kingpin of what basically amounts to her own city. It's really refreshing to see a movie where the main villain is a woman, and it's pulled off exceptionally here with Headey's 'Ma-Ma' in a very intimidating performance.

But the thing that really makes this movie is how it treats its action and its effects. There is a lot of genuine effort and consideration put into what so many other movies would lazily treat as eye candy. When an action scene happens in this movie it is intense, dramatic and brutal, and - wonder of wonders - you can actually SEE the ACTION in an ACTION MOVIE!!!

And not only do you get to see the action, but the direction and the cinematography ensure you get the absolute most out of it. It's always great when a movie makes use of practical effects instead of leaning on CGI as a crutch and overusing instead of playing to the strengths of different effects the way that they do here, but I've gotta say that the most stunning sequences in the film are when they use the slow-mo technology (which actually has a legitimate justification within the story), and it shows you images of extreme brutality that actually take on a sort of gracefulness and poetic beauty. Though I didn't see the 3D version of the film myself because I think movies should be able to stand on their own merits (as this one does), these sequences are definitely a major selling point for the 3D experience, so if you can watch it in 3D I'd definitely give it a go.

All in all, Dredd was a hell of a lot of fun and a great experience to watch, so if you haven't seen it yet, for the love of God go and watch it now!