Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

Quote from: Trumpers on August 03, 2013, 07:30:08 PM
GROWN UPS 2: Literally one of the worst films I have ever seen. I still dont even understand the plot. Please someone explain the plot to me. Was it they were trying to have a party? And the party was good...and that was about it? And they learnt nothing...FUCKING HORRIBLE! Adam Sandler is literally laughing at the world with his movies these days.

Did you see the first one?

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: JustinP on August 06, 2013, 03:03:56 PM
Did you see the first one?

Yeah and I could see the appeal to mind numbing boring comedy on free tv.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Justin

Quote from: Trumpers on August 06, 2013, 04:08:58 PM
Yeah and I could see the appeal to mind numbing boring comedy on free tv.

I thought the first one was decent, mind you I didn't spend my hard earned money to watch it at the theaters.  I elected to wait until DVD and rented it.  I want to see the second one as well just to see how they did sequel, but will also wait for it to come to DVD.  Adam Sandler is a good actor (Reign on Me), but the ones where Rob Schneider is involved and his other usual cast aren't so good.

Jose The Law Ramon

The Wolverine - were it not for a single line of dialogue in the first act I probably could have found it a really good film. As it is, that single line completely spoiled the entire movie AND the shift into a different tone. Literally all of the intrigue through the second and third acts were pointless because of that line (not spoiling it, but you all know which one). Regardless, you'll like Wolverine because of how they limit the action so that it makes all the badass fights worth watching and you care about the characters. Well, some of them.

Crazy Kyd

The Conjuring. One of the better horror films in the last couple of years. I really liked the subtle fake out scares and the whole movie was directed in such a way where you didn't know when stuff would happen. The acting was good by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga as well. I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars.

The Wolverine. I have not seen Origins, so I was slightly new to the whole solo Wolverine movie thing and I enjoyed the movie. The story was good and it didn't try to over think itself and it never tried to be clever. I was disappointed by some of the action scenes but they were still enjoyable. I felt like Hugh Jackman was hit and miss. There were parts where it seemed like he was sleepwalking through scenes but then out of nowhere, he would nail the necessary emotions needed for the next scene. The supporting cast was pretty good as well. I felt like I was able to connect/care about all of the characters involved. I felt like the Viper character was terribly miscast though. I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars.

Ty

Quote from: Jose The Law Ramon on August 06, 2013, 07:57:35 PM
The Wolverine - were it not for a single line of dialogue in the first act I probably could have found it a really good film. As it is, that single line completely spoiled the entire movie AND the shift into a different tone. Literally all of the intrigue through the second and third acts were pointless because of that line (not spoiling it, but you all know which one). Regardless, you'll like Wolverine because of how they limit the action so that it makes all the badass fights worth watching and you care about the characters. Well, some of them.

No idea what you are talking about

I saw the wolverine. The best part of the movie was th epost credits, I geek-gazmed. Overall, really good movie, not amazing but very enjoyable for the genre. 3.5/5

Jonny Worldbeater

The World's End - Went to see this twice actually in the last week or so.

Been watching back the other Edgar Wright movies a lot lately, and I really dig the hell out of them. To date it's still probably one of the best experiences I've had at the movies when I went into Scott Pilgrim vs. The World with very low expectations (but was prepared to give it a shot 'cause I'd heard good things about the comic series and good reviews of the movie), and ended up being won over almost instantly.

So I had some pretty high expectations for The World's End knowing that it was the 3rd movie from the team of Pegg/Frost/Wright. And while I liked the movie a lot and thought it had the same great, cleverly structured screenplay as the other two, the performances were solid and the whole 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' plot was done well, honestly I can't say it met my expectations. Actually, to be a bit clearer, I'm still trying to decide whether it met my expectations.

If there's two criticisms I could make against it, it's the fact while all the dialogue is quite clever (particularly in the recurring gags and how they weave the dialogue into narrative), you could probably make the argument that being clever doesn't exactly make it funny.

The other thing that felt a little off to me was the ending, where things kinda go off the tracks. This is the main point of contention for me as I'm not exactly sure how to take the ending and whether or not it's any good, and also if I'm being unfair to the movie by comparing it to the other Pegg/Frost/Wright films.

I'll say this much for sure: I did like the movie, but I liked it a lot better the second time around when I started to notice all the clever little subtleties, like how each of the pub names relates to what's going on, or how the opening montage basically tells you everything you need to know about the plot.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't think you really get the most out of the movie until you watch it a couple of times, but it does seem a bit wanky in some respects and if it doesn't work for you the first time around it's probably not gonna work on repeat viewings which are basically a requirement.

Jose The Law Ramon

The bit with Wolverine and the old man. Literally spoiled the whole movie even if I never read the comic.

Fnord

21 & Over (2013)

I didn't see this in the theater because it looked like it was gonna be funny, but showed all it's cards in the previews. I just watch this because I got a free rental from Redbox and nothing else was available. I really enjoyed it.

Synopsis: The night before his big medical school interview, a promising student celebrates his 21st birthday with his two best friends.

Seems simple enough, right? It was a nonsensical comedy about three friends, one being really really drunk and them trying to get him home after celebrating his 21st B-Day cause he has a med-school interview or something. Chaos happens. Random stuff happens. At the end the friends are closer and it ends happy. I don't wanna ruin it for anyone, but this is a for sure watch if you're looking for a movie to just zone out and watch.

3/5 stars

Plus, the soundtrack was awesome and I already downloaded it.

Quote[Today at 12:56:15 PM] Duckman: Fnording=the act of not realising something very obvious 
Quote from: AlexK on July 25, 2010, 12:23:31 AMI love you, Fnord.

Crazy Kyd

Elysium. I really enjoyed this movie. It is different from District 9 in the film style but it has the same type of visuals and feeling throughout the movie. One group of humans is the minority, who live on earth, and the other group, the wealthier group, live on Elysium which is basically a suburban neighborhood on a satellite. Immigration is a major theme of the movie, so you can guess where the movie goes. The actions scenes were awesome. They were very well done. The acting was pretty good as well. I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars.

We're the Millers. Nothing other than your typical comedy but it still made me laugh a lot. A lot of the jokes have been seen before and the plot points have been done over and over again but it still manages to work. The acting was decent. I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars.

Tezmission Black

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children: If you are a fan of the Final Fantasy Series, then you should enjoy Advent Children, it explains the situation that the world finds itself in after the conclusion of Final Fantasy VII, and pieces together some of the events between FF7 and Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII. I would give the movie a solid 4 stars out of 5, it's not without it's flaws, the pacing can be a bit strange, but all and all a fantastic movies.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete: See above, BUT it has 30 extra minutes of footage that fixes the pacing problem for me, there are added scenes, extended scenes, as well as some back story on the Denzel character. I would say that if the original version is 4 out of 5, this version is 5 out of 5. The extended version of the motorcycle battle is an awesome visual with the Turks involved with their helicopter. It is a lot smoother than the normal cut, and I would suggest trying to get your hands on this version, but the above original version isn't bad in any stretch of the imagination.

Kirk

The Lone Ranger: Armie Hammer was completely wrong for his role, the film was too long, the pacing was all over the place and the tonal shifts made me a little uncomfortable in parts (they make a stupid joke just seconds after a massacre). Despite the many problems, I still enjoyed the film. I'd give it 2.5 stars out of 5.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Ty

I watched two movies yesterday

Arlington Road - Ive already posted a review for this movie. I watched it like 4 times already and will watch it again and again. Amazing movie, 10 outta 10.

And Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters. Perfectly adequate in every way. Nothing to complain about, nothing wowed me. Exactly as expected for a kids movie. 6.5/10

Crazy Kyd

Loving Annabelle. Pretty good movie. I randomly picked this off of Amazon and I'm glad I picked this one but the movie does have its faults. The story is about Annabelle, who gets transferred to a catholic school and develops a crush on her female teacher. Yeah, the typical "forbidden love" in a religious setting cliche but if the chemistry between the two actresses wasn't as good as it was, the whole movie would have flopped. My biggest disappointment is the camerawork. I wish there would have been different artsy shots than just the same ones of sunlight shining through tree branches and there was potential for this movie to be a lot more darker emotionally but keeping the same heart that it had throughout the movie. The acting was good by the two main actresses and the supporting cast did a decent job. I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars.

Justin

The Butler.

I could have done without Oprah in it, but the movie was fantastic from beginning to end.  I would recommend it to anyone.