Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Kyd

Quote from: JustinP on August 18, 2013, 07:20:57 PM
The Butler.

I could have done without Oprah in it, but the movie was fantastic from beginning to end.  I would recommend it to anyone.

It was a pretty good movie. I personally didn't think it was fantastic, but Forest Whitaker does a great job.

Olympus has Fallen. It's not that great. Some of the action scenes were alright but the movie doesn't offer anything other than cheesy patriotism. The acting was alright for what the movie was. I give the movie 2 out of 5 stars.

Black Death

Quote from: Tezmission Black on August 14, 2013, 01:46:44 AM
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children: If you are a fan of the Final Fantasy Series, then you should enjoy Advent Children, it explains the situation that the world finds itself in after the conclusion of Final Fantasy VII, and pieces together some of the events between FF7 and Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII. I would give the movie a solid 4 stars out of 5, it's not without it's flaws, the pacing can be a bit strange, but all and all a fantastic movies.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete: See above, BUT it has 30 extra minutes of footage that fixes the pacing problem for me, there are added scenes, extended scenes, as well as some back story on the Denzel character. I would say that if the original version is 4 out of 5, this version is 5 out of 5. The extended version of the motorcycle battle is an awesome visual with the Turks involved with their helicopter. It is a lot smoother than the normal cut, and I would suggest trying to get your hands on this version, but the above original version isn't bad in any stretch of the imagination.

need to see the complete movie... love the movie , but felt there was some stuff left out
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Jose The Law Ramon

The World's End - Loved the bit of role reversal with Simon Pegg playing the guy who doesn't have all his life together while Nick Frost is the one that's got the straight man role. Great callbacks to injokes through the 'Cornetto trilogy (which I was fortunate to see all three in the theater for the release of World's End)' and interesting interwoven stories of all the main characters' lives sorta resolving themselves (except one guy, but whatever). Overall highly recommend watching it.

Duckman

Jack Reacher - I was pleasantly surprised by this.  I'd heard from a few people that the books are bad ass and this film didn't live up to them.  Also, in the books Reacher is 6 foot 5 and built like a brick shit house.  Tom Cruise is not.

That aside, this was a fun movie.  Some good fight scenes, interesting plot that while being easy to work out, did keep you interested throughout.

The film suffered because it came out at the time of one of the big mass shooting in the US and the opening scene is a sniper killing 6 people.

The only part of the film that really made me roll my eyes is when the lead cop goes to the hotel where this girl's body has been dumped to frame Reacher.  She was punched to the floor and then they smothered her.  So the cop says, "do you have anyone staying here who could kill someone with one punch?"  The woman on reception replies, "Mr Whatever, in Room 645, you'll know who I mean when you see him."  They're talking about little midget Tom Cruise, who doesn't look like he could kill a fly with one punch, let alone a human.

Anyway, that aside it's a decent Saturday night film, with an easy to follow story, some good action scenes and even Cruise isn't so annoying to ruin the film completely.

6/10.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Black Death

I recommend the Books ... the books are damn good

movie was decent
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Crazy Kyd

Dark City. I mostly watched this movie because I remember seeing the previews on a VHS tape, I think it was on Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Anyway, that is the main reason why I bought/watched the movie. I felt like it was a good movie, not great but it had its moments. A lot of the effects were cool and the story was decent. The acting was pretty good by the whole cast. Personally, Jennifer Connelly was the best next to Kiefer Sutherland. I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars.

Getaway. The movie was terrible. The direction was crap except for a few times when scenes sort of blended together, and various other effects like that were used. The action moments were a bit lame but there was at least one or two cool parts in every sequence. The acting was as good as you could get. Ethan Hawke did a great job but he couldn't pick up the pieces of this movie. He did well in the few emotional bits he had to do. Selena Gomez proved to me that she deserves more than a role that has her yelling 3 to 4 letter words every few minutes. Rebecca Budig, who had a small part as Hawke's wife, was really good. Some of the best moments of the movie was with her in it. If you didn't know, Rebecca Budig is a soap star who is best known for her work on All My Children. She proved that she can be a great supporting actress in movies with this role. I give this movie 1 out of 5 stars.

You're Next. I loved this movie. This was a fantastic horror/suspense film. There are pinches of dark humor throughout the movie which I liked quite a bit. The story is really a typical horror film story but there are moments that are so disturbingly/eerily funny that adds enough of a spin to the film. I absolutely loved the last 20-30 minutes of the movie and when the cell phone went off near the end, I thought that ringtone was the perfect choice and perfectly placed. I'm not sure about you, but I was laughing. That whole scene in general, especially before the cell phone moment, was my favorite. I'm not necessarily talking about the violence, but I felt like that was one of the better scenes in the whole movie. As for the acting, it was hit and miss but I think that was the point. None of the acting felt forced and everything flowed nicely. The main actress, Sharni Vinson plays the horror heroine very well and I think she is one of the best in recent memory. I give this movie 5 out of 5 stars.

Hondo

I noticed that "Our Idiot Brother" was recently added to Netflix. I remembered the previews and it looked like it'd be a pretty funny movie. After all, it had some pretty funny actors involved (Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Rashida Jones, Adam Scott, Kathryn Hahn, et. al.) So the missus and I decided to give it a shot. And I had just one question when it was over...

WHAT THE EFF WAS THAT CRAP?!

I went into this expecting a smart comedy, and all I got was one long hipster commercial. Comedy was the VERY LAST THING on anyone's mind. The characters were dull and unlikable. I mean, besides Paul Rudd's lead character, the most likeable person in the movie was Jones' character Cindy, who ends up getting cheated on and humilated.

I just kept waiting for the funny, but it never came. I was praying that Seth Rogen would pop out from behind a bush and yell out, "You know how I know you're gay? You're acting in this lame movie."

This is a prime example of Jim Carrey Syndrome, where producers take a funny actor and put them in a situation where they really can't be funny. This movie disappointed me the same way Steve Carell in "Dan in Real Life" did. I may be Carell's biggest fan, but I curse the day he picked up that script and said "Ok, yeah. Sure."

All in all, the best thing I can say about this movie is that it sucked.

2/10 would not bang.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Crazy Kyd

Quote from: JackHondo on September 02, 2013, 07:37:18 PM
I noticed that "Our Idiot Brother" was recently added to Netflix. I remembered the previews and it looked like it'd be a pretty funny movie. After all, it had some pretty funny actors involved (Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Rashida Jones, Adam Scott, Kathryn Hahn, et. al.) So the missus and I decided to give it a shot. And I had just one question when it was over...

WHAT THE EFF WAS THAT CRAP?!

I went into this expecting a smart comedy, and all I got was one long hipster commercial. Comedy was the VERY LAST THING on anyone's mind. The characters were dull and unlikable. I mean, besides Paul Rudd's lead character, the most likeable person in the movie was Jones' character Cindy, who ends up getting cheated on and humilated.

I just kept waiting for the funny, but it never came. I was praying that Seth Rogen would pop out from behind a bush and yell out, "You know how I know you're gay? You're acting in this lame movie."

This is a prime example of Jim Carrey Syndrome, where producers take a funny actor and put them in a situation where they really can't be funny. This movie disappointed me the same way Steve Carell in "Dan in Real Life" did. I may be Carell's biggest fan, but I curse the day he picked up that script and said "Ok, yeah. Sure."

All in all, the best thing I can say about this movie is that it sucked.

2/10 would not bang.

I was the only person in the theater, out of 20 people who actually liked Our Idiot Brother. It definitely wasn't a comedy by any means but it did have the occasional laugh here and there. Then again, I did like Dan in Real Life, so take that for what you want.

Rushmore. I am a big fan of Wes Anderson, even though I have really only seen 3 of his films. I was glad I saw Rushmore as this proves how clever he is as a writer and director. The acting was pretty good for what you should expect from a comedy like this. I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Kick Ass 2 - Love this film, love the black comedy element to it and how it doesnt fuck around trying to be super hero nicey nice shit.

The Millers - Not bad, good film for the Missus. Jason S. fast becoming one of my favourite actors for comedy right now.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Alex Smiley

Pain & Gain was pretty good IMO. Don't really have a full review, but I can say the story was pretty compelling. The thought of everything looking roses...and falling apart in an instant...was a brilliant plot point throughout.

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Justin

Quote from: GM AlexK on September 03, 2013, 04:44:48 PM
Pain & Gain was pretty good IMO. Don't really have a full review, but I can say the story was pretty compelling. The thought of everything looking roses...and falling apart in an instant...was a brilliant plot point throughout.

I just watched this over the weekend.  Was a decent movie with a few good laughs.

Cory

P&G was my favourite movie this year, was awesome.

Watched Gangster Squad last night, thoroughly enjoyed it. Has good story, good actors, and some good fighting/action scenes. Ryan Gosling is a pussy, but everything else makes up for that.

3.5/5

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Kirk

I just watched RIPD. It's actually not that bad. It's a bit silly and childish but it was fun to watch. A lot of the CGI looked terrible, but it doesn't detract from the film too much. It is definitely a Men in Black ripoff, but I liked Men in Black so I'm not going to complain about that.

It's not a good film, but I'd give it 3/5 assuming you're in the right mood for it.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Crazy Kyd

The Stranger Within. The only reason why I wanted to see this movie was because of Sarah Butler, the actress who played the girl in the remake of I Spit on Your Grave. I was expecting this thriller to be a lot better than it was, but because it featured William Baldwin, I didn't get my hopes up too much. The direction was bad except for a few scenery shots that involved water, and the first 10-15 minutes were pointless. All of that character development didn't have to be shown, it could have been set up/implied. The acting wasn't great but for the type of movie but it wasn't terrible. I give this movie 2 out of 5 stars.

Compulsion. This was a bizarre movie. The movie was a thriller/drama about a woman who loves to cook and dreams of her own cooking show. Her boyfriend is getting tired of her and once she finds out what he has been up to she tries to woo her neighbor with her cooking. What I liked about the style of the movie was that they set it up like a slasher movie but then the rest of the movie was a suspenseful drama. Heather Graham does a great job with the role. She makes the character have a personality of a 1950's housewife which made everything work in some strange way. The rest of the cast did good as well. I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars.

Mike Powers

Compliance.

It is based on the true story of a fast food worker who is subjected to strip searches (and worse) when a man, pretending to be a police officer, calls the restaurant that she works at.  Upon looking up the real story after the fact, I was shocked to find out that a vast majority of it was true.  Knowing that people are that gullible, and knowing that this really happened can make it an uncomfortable watch, but still a good movie.

3.8*