News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

Best Man Holiday -- Was better than I thought it would be.  It did a good job of building off of the original movie some 12+  years ago.  It had plenty of moments for laughing and most ladies were crying in the the theater.  Terrence Howard made the movie in my opinion.

Mike Powers

Quote from: JustinP on November 19, 2013, 01:34:25 PM
Best Man Holiday -- Was better than I thought it would be.  It did a good job of building off of the original movie some 12+  years ago.  It had plenty of moments for laughing and most ladies were crying in the the theater.  Terrence Howard made the movie in my opinion.

That movie is a sequel?!?

Black Death

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Cory

2 Guns - You'd figure with Denzel and Marky Mark you'd get a good action flick with some good acting, and while I did enjoy the movie, the acting and storyline wasnt very good. The action scenes were well done, it had a few good moments, but after watching you can see how it wasnt a big blockbuster.

2.5/5

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Duckman

Pacific Rim - somehow they made giant robots fighting giant monsters really boring.

I'm not sure what it was but that movie just didn't click for me.  All the pieces were there for something cool, but it ended up really underwhelming me.  The monsters looked really stupid too. 

Lack of humour maybe?  I don't know, it just got very samey and there's a weird bit at the beginning where they go "for five years monsters beat us up, then we built robots and beat the monsters up for five years, now it's five years later and the monsters are winning again" that takes about 10 minutes and then the title 'Pacific Rim' comes up on the screen.  I don't know why I found that so jarring and weird but I did.

Anyway, not a great attempt at what is essentially every boys idea of the perfect movie.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Tezmission Black

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

I really enjoyed the film, a lot more then I thought I would. I wasn't really sold on the previous movie, it was good, but it was missing something, and in this movie I thought they did a lot more, and it almost felt like two movies in one, the part before the games, and then the games itself. I thought it had a shit ton more story and the characters even felt more genuine if that's the right way to put it.

Stanley Tucci and Woody Harrelson both still stand out to me as the actors who seem to be having the most fun and put on the best performances of the film but I think all the actors bring their best for the second film. Elizabeth Banks as Effie I really think brings up her performance.

All and all I think the movie was great, I have not read the book and I know they have omitted a bit from it. I think I might read the three books after watching it, so yeah, that is that I think.

If I had to give it a rating I would prob give it a 4.5 out of 5, much better than the first, and if the third and fourth films are half as good I'll go check em out as well.

Ty

Quote from: Tezmission Black on November 24, 2013, 07:13:54 PM

I really enjoyed the film, a lot more then I thought I would. I wasn't really sold on the previous movie, it was good, but it was missing something, and in this movie I thought they did a lot more, and it almost felt like two movies in one, the part before the games, and then the games itself. I thought it had a shit ton more story and the characters even felt more genuine if that's the right way to put it.

Stanley Tucci and Woody Harrelson both still stand out to me as the actors who seem to be having the most fun and put on the best performances of the film but I think all the actors bring their best for the second film. Elizabeth Banks as Effie I really think brings up her performance.

All and all I think the movie was great, I have not read the book and I know they have omitted a bit from it. I think I might read the three books after watching it, so yeah, that is that I think.

If I had to give it a rating I would prob give it a 4.5 out of 5, much better than the first, and if the third and fourth films are half as good I'll go check em out as well.

Agreed on much of this.

Just watched it this evening. My only complaint is that the ending fell a bit flat. 4/5

Crazy Kyd

Quote from: The TyTy is here! on November 24, 2013, 09:41:03 PM
Agreed on much of this.

Just watched it this evening. My only complaint is that the ending fell a bit flat. 4/5

It did end suddenly but I felt that the movie did its job to create hype for the last two. I asked around, and that is more or less how the book actually ends, so I forgave the movie a bit because of that.

I did like Catching Fire a lot more than the first movie. I liked how they focused on the story of the rebellion more than just mentioning a rebellion and then have the rest of the movie be about a love story. It also seems like they focused on the "critique" of reality TV a lot more with Catching Fire as well. While all of the political messages and stuff that are sprinkled in the movie may go over the target audiences' head, I feel like that was the strongest piece of the movie.

I also liked the action a lot more this time around.

Jonny Worldbeater

Quote from: Tezmission Black on November 24, 2013, 07:13:54 PM

Recently saw this and the first movie. Really dug it, and the second one was definitely a step-up from the first, which I also enjoyed.

Looking forward to the next movie, but getting really tired of this 'split the book in half' gimmick because it kinda just makes for two weaker movies instead of one movie telling a complete, cohesive story. Especially considering it's probably gonna be at least a year or two between.

Cory

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Crazy Kyd

Quote from: Cory on December 14, 2013, 11:34:43 PM
The Purge 0/100

Worst movie I've ever seen.

The Purge was bad, but I wouldn't call it that bad. Then again I am a big fan of Ethan Hawke and Adelaide Kane, so maybe that is why I don't hate it as much.

I recently watched Grown Ups 2. It is one of the worst movies I will ever watch. I give it 0 out of 5 stars.

I do highly recommend Drinking Buddies. It is a drama/comedy and it isn't laugh out loud funny, but it is a damn good movie. Good acting, good directing, good story. Just plain good. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Chris Shields

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

There's two reviews for this movie. There's the review for the people who haven't read the book (But have seen the first movie), and the review for the people who have read the book.

People Who Haven't Read The Book
Good news, things pick up more or less where they left off, with a little more insight into why Thorin is so set on getting back to Erebor (sp?) This one has more action than the first one, however it ends up giving a little bit less about the characters, and there are several new characters introduced, as well as some you will know from the Lord of The Rings movies (Actually, Legolas is pretty much the only one that fits this category, but there is a nice little deal with Gimley's father). The pace moves much quicker in this one, the action is dialed up, and the elves prove to deliver a lot of ass kicking. You get some more stuff with Dul Goldor and find out just who "The Necromancer" truly is, and why he has the power he does. Smaug looks incredible and there is some great stuff with him, especially at the end in which they set up the 3rd movie. For people who have not read the book I would say this one is a four out of five.

People who HAVE read the book
This is a slap in the damn face. I get changing up some things to fit pacing and to keep stuff interesting, but it's all the bullshit that Peter Jackson added in. Azog was cool, and he remains cool, but it goes overboard in this movie. Plus, you're adding in elves that were never mentioned (which brings in a fucking love triangle with the female elf, Legolas, and one of the Dwarfs - I'll let you guess which one), and they end up with several dwarves not at the mountain, plus a damn human who I guess is supposed to be some descendant of the lord of Dale, that was almost a hero, but not quite, honestly it was kind of confusing. All the added in stuff, the stuff that was rushed over so they could fit in the added stuff, and the changes, it just really drags this one down and I'm giving it a two out of five.

! JDM The Professional !

American Hustle

Hands down the best film of the year. Very Scorsaze. Fantastic film making.  If you enjoy films like goodfellers you'll enjoy this.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Justin

2 Guns: I think Denzel and Wahlberg played well off of each other, but the plot was a little confusing and hard to follow.  The action scenes were decent and there were a couple of funny moments.  2/5

Crazy Kyd

Anchorman 2. I haven't seen the first one and I have no interest in seeing it. I happened to see it with a friend who came back to visit over the holidays. It was funny and I was surprised that I laughed hard more than once or twice. The directing was pretty good as well. The last 15 or so minutes of it was awesome, kind of Monty Python-esque with how the scene played out. It was completely obnoxious. I do think they couldn't think of how to end it, so they threw the extra 15 minutes in to make it a 2 hour movie. I give the movie 2 out of 5 stars.