News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckman

An old one, but a brilliant movie I'd completely forgotten about until I watched it on Saturday - Buffalo Soldiers.

It starts Joaquin Phoenix (Ellwood) and is set on a US army base in Germany in the late 1980s.  He is running tons of cons out of the base and also cooking heroin  and dealing to the bored soldiers who have nothing to do and no one to kill.

There's a scene with a tank crew who are all high on smack trying to drive a tank which is hilarious.

Of course everything unravels for Ellwood during the film and he struggles to stay one step ahead of this new commanding officer who is a total dick.  Ellwood starts screwing his daughter (played by Sookie from True Blood) and that is the catalyst for everything falling down around him.

This is a brilliant movie. Sharp script, great performance and direction.  It's a black comedy that really, really works.

Well worth watching if you haven't seen it before. 
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Black Death

Star Trek - Into Darkness -  I really enjoy it .  Being that I am a Trekie , I thought it was better than the first movie. great action and you can see the characters grow from the first movie. Hope for another one.

This is the End.  Funny as hell ,  just some laugh out loud funny moments.  not sure if I can recommend it , because it might not be  for everyone.  I enjoy it
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

jagilki

Mortal Instruments.

* jagilki shoots self in head

Crazy Kyd

Quote from: jagilki on December 26, 2013, 11:45:22 AM
Mortal Instruments.

* jagilki shoots self in head

I did the same thing with The Host. I only saw it because of Saorise Ronan since she was good in Hanna.

Quote from: Black Death on December 26, 2013, 11:41:26 AM
This is the End.  Funny as hell ,  just some laugh out loud funny moments.  not sure if I can recommend it , because it might not be  for everyone.  I enjoy it

Definitely not for everyone. I usually don't like movies like This is the End as the comedy can be bland at times but it was pretty consistent. You can easily tell which lines were improved but I liked it that way. It added something to the humor in my opinion. The ending was hilarious as well.

GM Franchise

The Wolf of Wall Street was amazing. Leonardo DiCaprio had probably the best performance of his career in this movie. It's a little long at around 2 hrs 50 mins but overall is really great movie.
Quote from: Trumpers on July 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Quote from: Mike Powers on May 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Cory

Quote from: GM Franchise on December 26, 2013, 07:35:20 PM
The Wolf of Wall Street was amazing. Leonardo DiCaprio had probably the best performance of his career in this movie. It's a little long at around 2 hrs 50 mins but overall is really great movie.

Have been pumped to see this since the summer, but holy fuck thats long, might have to wait for it to come out to torrent,

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

GM Franchise

Quote from: Cory on December 26, 2013, 08:14:48 PM
Have been pumped to see this since the summer, but holy fuck thats long, might have to wait for it to come out to torrent,

That's the only drawback. However it was worth it.
James, everytime you post in the OOC your perception of "yourself" is just as apparently off key 'in game' as GM Franchise as it is 'out of game' as yourself lol.
Now I know how Franchise feels every game.  Speak your mind and you get singled out for it.
Quote[Nov 30 21:22:23] Trumpers:you have literally assembled one of the worst teams possible

Mike Powers

A movies length is a detriment to your seeing it?

Jon

Quote from: Mike Powers on December 26, 2013, 08:32:25 PM
A movies length is a detriment to your seeing it?

3 hours is a long time to set aside to watch a movie. I know I don't always have 3 hours to sit down and watch a movie.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Cory

Well when I go to movies its almost always a dinner and a movie date type thing with the woman. She knows that I've been wanting to see this movie, but seeing as how our schedules make it nearly impossible to catch a flick on the weekends, its a weekday thing. Dinner + 3 hr movie as oppose to the usuall dinner and 1hr 30 min movie really fucks things up.

Ugh, fuck it, guess we catch Anchorman 2.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Mike Powers

It's certainly not as easy as a 90 minute film, but there are legions of 2+ hour movies that are worth every second.

Edit: Skip the movie and sneak in Subway. Have the wife bring her big purse.  ;)

GM Franchise

Some of the best movies ever are 2 and a half hours or longer so I don't really see length as a big deal. Quality is more of an issue. If it's a crappy movie that's long then it's a bad idea to see it. However if it's like Lawrence of Arabia or something like that then it's worth it.

Jon

I don't think anyone is saying the movie is bad because of the length.

I quite enjoy long movies that are of quality.

But movies that are long, you have to plan accordingly to set aside the needed time to watch pretty much 2 movies.

GM of the Queen City Conquerors

Crazy Kyd

Quote from: Jack Benevolence on December 26, 2013, 09:45:19 PM
I feel if a movie is over 2 hours long, then every minute of that movie needs to be justified. It's ok for a movie to go over, but if it's filled with a bunch of scenes that don't need to be in there it frustrates me greatly.

That said, I watched We Are The Millers and it was way better than I expected it to be. I thought it would be really cheesy and dumb but I laughed a lot while watching it.

We Are The Millers surprised me. I saw it in theaters, so I took a chance with the movie not being good but I really enjoyed it.

As for the time length stuff, I can watch a 2 or 3 hour long movie with no problem but there are those movies that move slow like The Tree of Life that makes it feel like 4 hours.

The one movie I can't wait for is Nymphomaniac. 4 hours long. If I get the chance to see it in theaters, I'll have to see it in two parts since the movie is being split. I kind of wish it wasn't being split but it makes sense. No one doesn't want to sit in a 4 hour long movie.

Chris Shields

American Hustle - This is very much a character driven movie, and luckily, you have some some great characters actors playing some very intriguing characters. The plot was interesting, but the kind of back and forth stuff did get confusing at certain times. Still, the movie was very entertaining and there was some great comedy from the characters and their interactions. Really enjoyed this one, plus there's a scene where Jennifer Lawrence is half naked, so that automatically gets it a nice bump. I'm giving this one a 4 out of 5, and it's almost a 5 out of 5, seriously, one of the better movies I've seen in a long time.