News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

The Judge

A damn good movie. Robert Downey and Robert Duvall played off of each other spectacularly. I strongly recommend this movie.

Adam Wrong

At the Odeon at the moment they are doing advanced showings of movies so the other week I saw Selma. Absolutely stunning movie and one I wouldn't normally watch through choice. Heartwarming, heartbreaking and a really frank biopic.

Tonight... tonight was It Follows.

A truly terrible movie. Poorly acted, the director clearly had one camera technique which he used to death and a plot that is utterly clueless. Avoid

Flins.

I was just reading about It Follows on Rotten Tomatoes earlier, it seems to be universally liked, but I see a lot of films like that early doors, then the proper reviews come in.

Mike Powers

The wife dragged me to 50 Shades of Grey. Men, if you're in the same position as me, do the smart thing and throw yourself down a flight of stairs. You'll still find yourself in less pain than watching that steaming pile of cow flop.

Adam Wrong

Quote from: Flins. on February 16, 2015, 06:35:37 PM
I was just reading about It Follows on Rotten Tomatoes earlier, it seems to be universally liked, but I see a lot of films like that early doors, then the proper reviews come in.

I saw those reviews and was a little optimistic. There were 15 walkouts during it... I've never seen that before

Flins.

15?! Wow. I think the maximum I have seen is around five or so, but that was just a group of kids when we went to see The Social Network.

Drama Queen

Horns
As is always the case with books that I love, I am reluctant to see the movie, for fear of disappointment. Especially if the book is of a pretty dark nature, I automatically have a built in fear that they are going to tone it down. This however was one of the good ones.

Ig Perish is somewhat of a nerd, who was dating a girl considered to be out of his league. When she's found brutally murdered, and on the same day they were seen by witnesses to have had a heated break-up, well... needless to say it doesn't look good for him.

Until he grows a pair of horns. That nobody seems to notice, yet people suddenly feel compelled to reveal their darkest confessions to him. And he seems to have the power to convince them to go and fulfill their darkest desires. A strange ability, but one he learns to make the most of in his predicament.

This is the first time I've seen Daniel Radcliffe play something other than our favorite wizard orphan. And trust me... Harry Potter is all grown up from his days in Hogwarts. Amusing at first to see him swearing, smoking, screwing... and then I realize, wow, this guy can act.

I may be biased because I love the book so much, but I was happy with the page to screen conversion. It has me hoping that maybe we will see a movie of Joe Hill's other great Heavy Metal culture novel, "Heart-Shaped Box". But for now this one gets top marks. If not five stars, certainly no less than 4.5. I would love to hear feedback from somebody who did NOT read the book and did not know what to expect.

Strongly recommend either the book or the movie to anyone.

4.7/5

Drama Queen

The Pirates
I'm not sure how I stumbled across this.... but I am so glad I did. This is just pure fun all the way through, start to finish. I honestly never imagined myself being so entertained by a sub-titled movie.

This, for me ranks right up there beside the original POTC, and way better than any of the sequels. There are certainly aspects of it that seem like a bit of a knock off (and the lead male, despite being Korean is uncannily reminding of Johnny Depp) but the story itself is completely different, and quite unique, if not a bit far-fetched (again, part of the fun).

As the Chinese seek to establish control over Korea by enabling a new government, which has little regard for its own people, emissaries carrying the countries new flag and sigil have an unfortunate encounter with a huge whale, that devours the precious royal cargo. (yes, you read that right). To avoid embarrassment, the new government puts a huge bounty out on said creature which attracts some of the most unlikeliest would-be adventurers, as well as rival groups of pirates (one group captained by a stunningly beautiful pirate queen, yes, clichéd I know), and the countries own royal navy.

The action scenes are amazingly choreographed, a great mix of martial arts and good ol fashioned swashbuckling. Everything is as it should be in a fantasy flick, the costumes, the music, the scenery, all breath-taking. The dialogue is comedic in a silly way, but not enough to detract from the story, which despite being cheesy in its own right, still somehow manages to stay quite compelling.

I cant see anybody regretting this one. There were actually moments the story made me "mark-out"... I don't tend to do that much with movies.

5/5 for what it is.

This is just one of those amazing hidden gems

Duckman

Avengers: Age of Ultron - so much fun.  Nothing more, nothing less.  The opening attack scene was a comic book fan's dream and the fight between Ironman and Hulk had my nephew jumping out of his seat and cheering.  Yes, he's four, but his opinion still counts!  Loved Ultron as a character, in fact enjoyed the character development of Black Widow and Hawkeye in this one.  Although it did feel like they'd taken on board how much Hawkeye sucks compared to the rest and really tried to crowbar in some depth and importance to him.  I enjoyed this a lot and went to see it for a second time a few days later.  Roll on Cap 3 and Infinity Wars!!

Mad Max: Fury Road.  Brilliant, thrilling, mind bending, intense, chaotic, entertaining, weird, funny and with a great twist that left 'male rights' losers steaming in their wife beaters (good, they're such pathetic little babies).  This is the best action film I've seen in years.  So many great stunts and set pieces with barely any CGI, it just all felt so real and brutal.  A really strong cast had to do a lot with very little dialogue and I though they all excelled.  This film is like no other I've seen and that makes it a must watch.  Amazing movie - what cinema was made for!
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Alex Smiley

Quote from: JackHondo on October 24, 2012, 07:31:28 AM
You're right, Jesus is nicer. But Alex is a close second.

Tezmission Black

Quote from: Drama Queen on May 17, 2015, 10:22:15 AM
Horns
As is always the case with books that I love, I am reluctant to see the movie, for fear of disappointment. Especially if the book is of a pretty dark nature, I automatically have a built in fear that they are going to tone it down. This however was one of the good ones.

Ig Perish is somewhat of a nerd, who was dating a girl considered to be out of his league. When she's found brutally murdered, and on the same day they were seen by witnesses to have had a heated break-up, well... needless to say it doesn't look good for him.

Until he grows a pair of horns. That nobody seems to notice, yet people suddenly feel compelled to reveal their darkest confessions to him. And he seems to have the power to convince them to go and fulfill their darkest desires. A strange ability, but one he learns to make the most of in his predicament.

This is the first time I've seen Daniel Radcliffe play something other than our favorite wizard orphan. And trust me... Harry Potter is all grown up from his days in Hogwarts. Amusing at first to see him swearing, smoking, screwing... and then I realize, wow, this guy can act.

I may be biased because I love the book so much, but I was happy with the page to screen conversion. It has me hoping that maybe we will see a movie of Joe Hill's other great Heavy Metal culture novel, "Heart-Shaped Box". But for now this one gets top marks. If not five stars, certainly no less than 4.5. I would love to hear feedback from somebody who did NOT read the book and did not know what to expect.

Strongly recommend either the book or the movie to anyone.

4.7/5

I had actually watched this on a whim not knowing anything about it, and I have to agree with this review, pretty good movie.

Black Death

Sole Man - 30 for 30 on Sonny Vaccaro , who is the fast talking , controversial maverick who made sneaker endorsements for college teams and star players a basketball institution ... it a great doc , love the look back on how the sneakers deals became big business and how the recruiting of the young high school ball players got cutthroat in nature .  well done if your a basketball fan you should check it out.  Netflick

Also on Netflick  The Sheik- Interviews with family , friends and fellow wrestlers  that illuminate this portait of Khosrow Vaziri, the iconic villain known as the Iron Sheik .  this is a must watch doc for every wrestling fan.  I highly recommend it

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Cory

Quote from: Black Death on June 01, 2015, 01:48:59 AM

Also on Netflick  The Sheik- Interviews with family , friends and fellow wrestlers  that illuminate this portait of Khosrow Vaziri, the iconic villain known as the Iron Sheik .  this is a must watch doc for every wrestling fan.  I highly recommend it

2nd this, excellent docu.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Chris Shields

Entourage - This is a real simple review. If you watched and enjoyed the show, you will enjoy the movie. If you hate the show, why the fuck are you even thinking of going to see the movie. It wasn't awful, it wasn't great, it was good and picked up basically where the show leaves off. This movie was basically done to give the fans of the show a better ending then that awful final season, and it succeeds in that.

One thing I forgot to add in the initial review of this, Ronda Rousey is fucking awful even when she's playing herself. Just so damn cunty.

It's getting a 3 out of 5 for me, so now you all can bring on the douche comments.

¿PapaPancho?

Insidious 3 ... saw it in a packed theatre  with a date. Better than the sequel and frankly almost as good as the first. The Man who Can't Breathe is force to be reckoned with and if you enjoy a scary movie for a date you can't go wrong.

There's one particular scene where you just keep saying oh fuck. ... as it KEEPS building and it won't end just to appease a jump scare.