News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

KNOCK KNOCK:

Ok Keanu Reeves still cannot act. Written and Directed by Eli Roth (amongst other names) I would highly recommend going to see this. Particularly if your a married man or in a long term relationship. Temptation is just a knock at the door!

8/10

Given I hated San Andreas (see recent MFX recording) and felt Jurrasic World was like Cheese Cheeserton And The Cheese factory. I was also very worried to be let down by Entourage which I still havent seen. We went with something off the wall. Were the only 2 in the cinema and it was worth it.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Mike Powers

With Entourage it is pretty simple.  You'll enjoy the movie as much as you enjoyed the show.  No more, no less.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Does it pick up where the show left off Mike?
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Mike Powers

Yes, briefly. It picks up 9 (or so) days later and resolves the "Vince got married/Ari retired" thread from the finale. Then, we fast forward around 8 months to when the rest of the movie takes place.

Mike Powers

Saw Terminator Genisys tonight. Pretty entertaining, although I hate Jai Courtney. It had a few twists and turns I wasn't expecting. There's a mid credits scene, so stick around. If you like Terminatir movies, you'll like this. 3.75/5.

Cory

Ted 2:

Was a little more serious at times than the first, but if you liked the first this one was almost as funny. No Mila Kunas which is kinda a let down as I find that main girl character Amanda Seyfried looks like gollom (haha, made a joke of this in the movie too).

Funniest part in the movie for me was when Morgan Freeman came on and my girlfriend thought he was Samuel L. Jackson (if you've seen the commercial for the movie you'd probably see the Sam L Jackson bit) and laughed out loud and said "isnt that Samuel L Jackson" and everyone in the theater, including myself, laughed at her.

4/5 for comedy.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Chris Shields

Minions - This is a fun move, and it's got some funny parts to it. The minions as usual are fun and kind of cute, a little bit dumb, but in a funny way. The big take away, minions work better as well, minions. The characters are better suited to a sidekick role as opposed to the antagonist role. The minions are fun in small doses, and there were times in this movie where I found the whole schtick of them starting to become annoying. For me it never crossed that line, but I can see how it would for some people. Kids will enjoy this movie, and adults won't hate it. It's a fun little movie with some decent laughs and you can't help but root for the 3 main minions, especially Bob. I'm gonna give this one a 3 out of 5, and suggest it for anyone with kids who are at the age where they'll sit through a 90 minute movie.

Black Death

Just watch Ant-Man... I love this movie.  it was fun , love the action, really get the sense of his power ,  the ending fight with the bad guy was great .  the effects were top notch , it made me laugh . Paul Rudd was fantastic ,  great introduction to the character for people who don't know the character. It reminded me of the first iron man in many ways.  love the end credit scenes . it leads toward Civil War .  I recommend it   
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Cory

Quote from: Chris Shields on July 15, 2015, 04:01:15 PM
Minions - This is a fun move, and it's got some funny parts to it. The minions as usual are fun and kind of cute, a little bit dumb, but in a funny way. The big take away, minions work better as well, minions. The characters are better suited to a sidekick role as opposed to the antagonist role. The minions are fun in small doses, and there were times in this movie where I found the whole schtick of them starting to become annoying. For me it never crossed that line, but I can see how it would for some people. Kids will enjoy this movie, and adults won't hate it. It's a fun little movie with some decent laughs and you can't help but root for the 3 main minions, especially Bob. I'm gonna give this one a 3 out of 5, and suggest it for anyone with kids who are at the age where they'll sit through a 90 minute movie.

I enjoyed Minions as well.....their voices kinda got annoying near the end of the movie but it still was a solid flick. 3.5/5

The Town that Dreaded Sundown:

Actually wasnt that bad. I downloaded it with pretty low expectations the other night that this straight to DVD horror film was going to be a turd, but it was written (well as much for a re-make) by the guy that makes American Horror Story so I gave it a shot. Really solid horror movie, not too many "im shaking my head because that was stupid" parts and some solid jump scares and gory scenes. 3/5

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Duckman

Ant Man - A really, really fun movie.  More of an old fashioned heist movie than a super hero film.  Paul Rudd is perfect in the lead role.  He brings the perfect blend of humour, every man charm and also holds his own in the fight scenes.  It's like the first time you saw RDJ as Tony Stark/Iron Man and you just go 'yep, that's him.'  The shrinking/action scenes are done really well.  I know the script was part Edgar Wright/Joe Cornish (they came up with the great final fight scene) and then rest Rudd and his writing partner.  I would've loved to have seen Edgar get the chance to do the movie but it doesn't hurt it and it feels like they kept a lot of his best ideas.  It's also a really funny movie.  We went to see it at 11:00am Sunday morning and the cinema was packed.  Whole range of ages from kids to old guys and everyone was laughing along and entertained - an old guy across from us was reacting like it was the funniest film he'd ever seen!  Marvel are at the 'shut up and take my money' stage for me these days - I go to anything they produce and it's always a fun time.  Ant Man was no expection.  Plus it really sets up some cool stuff for Cap 3 - there's a great Avengers joke and moment in the middle of the film that was really fun. 

Jurassic World - doubled down on Sunday and saw this in 3-D in the afternoon.  I enjoyed this a lot too.  It wasn't as good as the original (of course, it's a childhood classic for me) but it was a fun, dumb, pop corn style movie.  Bryce Dallas Howard is a solid female lead and Chris Pratt was good too.  Loved this exchange when talking about the Raptors he is charge of:

"This is blue, she's the beta."

"Who's the alpha?"

"You're looking at him kid."

The effects were solid and the director did a good job of slow building up to the big badassasaurous reveal.  I especially liked the attach on the marine crew - reminded me of Aliens.  Also the relationship between Pratt and Howard was very much like Michael Douglas (pretty good in Ant Man) and Kathleen Turner in Romancing The Stone (another childhood favourite movie of mine).  There were some fun nods back to the original film and even the annoying kids (and there MUST be annoying kids in these movies) were just on the right side of annoying to not ruin the movie for me.  A fun final fight scene with some good run-ins as well ended the film nicely.  This isn't going to change the world or win any Oscars - it's not meant to.  But it is a fun couple of hours, with an old fashioned monster/disaster movie feel and I can see why it's made so much damn money!
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Chris Shields

Ant-Man: Went and saw it today, and like all the other reviews on here I've seen, I loved it. It had the perfect blend of action, comedy, and it they managed to establish emotional connections with the characters. The shrinking was done wonderfully, and those scenes never felt overly CGI'd at all. The training sequences were done very well, and there's some damn good fight scenes at the end of the movie, especially the final fight scene. I also really enjoyed how they included The Wasp in there. It's a short scene, but it really establishes a lot for the movie. Paul Rudd was a perfect choice for the Scott Lang version of Ant-man, and Michael Douglas is good as the older Hank Pym. With this and Guardians being so good, it really feels like Marvel can do no wrong, and whatever they throw out is going to be good. It has be looking forward to the other 4 "lesser known" properties they're doing in Doctor Strange, Black panther, Captain Marvel, and The Inhumans. I've never really cared about Ant-Man, and this movie made me give a shit about him, while keeping me thoroughly entertained. Giving this one a 4 out of 5, and recommending you see it.

Mike Powers

The One I Love.

Came across this on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised. I went in knowing nothing and that is probably the best way to go about it. Suffice it to say that it's a relationship drama with sci-fi elements. A solid 4/5.

Black Death

Just watch M.I. Rouge Nation , got to say fantastic movie . I love the Mission Impossible movies and got to say this was the best one yet .  Awesome action scenes, great comedy and really great story.  Tom Cruise has got Ethan Hunt down and get this sense that he is a force of nature that you just don't want to mess with. Simon Pegg is great  , so was Jeremy Renner and Ving rhames   and the girl in story  play  by Rebecca Ferguson, Just DAMN! , she did a fantastic job .  can not wait to  see her in more things , she is a great package

I recommend it , was entertained for start to finish 
"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Chris Shields

Vacation - This was funny, not hilarious, but funny. The important thing to remember, it's not a remake, it's more like a continuation. Ed Helms is good as Rusty, Christina Applegate was good as his wife, but the kids freaking sucked. The other people who had the smaller parts were good and added some really solid laughs, especially Charlie Day and most surprisingly, Chris Hemsworth. The story is pretty simple, family is in a rut, Rusty decides to do the cross country trip, all kinds of horrible and funny things happen to them. The two big problems is that a good 25% of the bits are just flat out gross, and the kids in the movie freaking sucked. The youngest son is a foul mouthed little bastard who needs to spend a weekend at Adrian Peterson's house, and the oldest son basically has no balls. This wasn't awful, nor was it great. It's worth a watch, but if your local theater has matinee pricing, go see it then. If you can't do that, just wait for redbox or netflix. I'm giving it a 3 out of 5.

Gravedigger

Fantastic Four:

Saw the reviews going in, wasn't expecting much. Ended up better than expectations, but not very good. Barely any action for a comic book movie, and drama plotted along at times. Felt more like a TV pilot than a feature film. Still, better than critics have made it out to be... 2.5 out of 5.

Southpaw:

Solid film. Gyllenhall carries the movie, along with a good job from Forrest Whitaker. Borrows heavily at times from the Rocky films, but the two main performances and decent boxing scenes make it worthwhile.... 3.5 out of 5.