News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flins.

Loved Ant Man, Michael Pena killed it in his role, had everyone in the cinema chuckling every scene. First film in a long time that used its trailer well, giving hints at the jokes but leaving the big laughs/surprises for the film. Looking forward to seeing him implemented into the Marvel franchise. My only grief, and it is minor, is the chemistry between Rudd & Lily, they seemed more buddy than love interests. Quite refreshing to see that angle not have much focus though, and that could attribute to the poor chemistry.

Cory

Halloween Season so I've been watching a bunch of horror movies that I've never caught. Finally watched both Evil Dead 1 and 2, The Fog, The Fly, The Thing just to name a few oldies but I enjoyed all of them (aside from The Fly, kinda lame)

But caught a few newer horror movies assuming many have watched the ones I previously mentioned.

Tales of Halloween - 10 different stories in this one, each about 15 minutes each so its like Trick r Treat or V/H/S except many are more comical than horror. I'd say about half are actually worth watching but overall its a solid, themed time killer. 2.5/5

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2tA1e8UAZ4

Final Girls - Really enjoyed this one, again not really a pure horror but incredibly original and well done. Check the trailer for the plot. Anything outside of Pitch Perfect with Adam Devine in it is usually hilarious. 4/5

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zreNh78kTjg

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Adam Wrong

Spectre
A much better Bond than the last couple. Not seen one like this on a while. I still don't like overarching story arcs in Bond. Theres no need and means you spend a good ten minutes going, "Oh le chiffre... Who's quantum, why should we know him?" Seeing Batista was a nice touch and he played a brilliant henchman in a throwback to the Jaws or Odd job style. But all those praising Monica Bellucci as a mature Bond girl. Her appearance was pointless, the 2 scenes she was in were filler and no offence to anybody but watching her and Daniel Craig getting busy was like watching my parents get it on.

I felt the film was overlong and not in a good way. Far too much repetition and not enough substance. The other girl in the film Dr Swann was great. Right amount of sass and sexy to make her an ideal counter to Bond who I felt was going through the motions during a lot of this film.

The climax was a visual treat and the reveal was superb. No spoilers. Nice classic Bond throwbacks, decent visuals but it felt a little... try hard to be honest.

7/10

Chris Shields

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 - This was good. It wasn't as good as part 1, but there were some cool moments, and it did do the book justice (especially the mutt attack in the sewers. Holy fuck did those things look terrifying.) As far as the 4 movies goes, this was probably my 3rd favorite of them (Personal order is 3, 1, 4, 2). If you enjoyed the first three movies and the books, you should enjoy this one. but don't go into it with super high expectations of it being the best movie you've seen. There's not much to say about performances or all of that, because the performances from the other movies remain the same, and the few new people that were added have fairly small roles. The new people were good, but as I said, small roles in the movie that aren't inconsequential, but I don't feel like they merit a thorough review. This was good, but not great. If you've seen the others and liked, go see and enjoy, if you haven't, you're not gonna care and you would be lost anyway. Giving it a 3 out of 5.

Cory

Creed.

9/10.

Go see this movie. Pretty much a revised, black version of Rocky IV and a better background story.

Mike Powers

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: Cory on December 04, 2015, 11:54:14 PM
Creed.

9/10.

Go see this movie. Pretty much a revised, black version of Rocky IV and a better background story.

We see the same movie?

I agree on the 9 out of 10 but Rocky 4 this aint. This one is Rocky V done right.

Cory

Quote from: ¿PapaPancho? on December 05, 2015, 12:51:36 AM
We see the same movie?

I agree on the 9 out of 10 but Rocky 4 this aint. This one is Rocky V done right.

I had it as basis on the big fight.

Fighting the unstoppable foreign force on away soil, combine it with the finish that we saw in 'Rocky Balboa' it was a combination of the two, more so 4.

You're point is equally right with Rocky playing the trainer role, but I suppose its fair to say it has its bits from every other part in the series.

But amazing film, first time I've been in a movie where it got a ovation at credits in the theater.

Quote from: Mike Powers on December 04, 2015, 11:57:27 PM

Chris Shields

Creed - Thought this was fantastic, and I felt a bit like it was Rocky, for a whole new generation. It borrowed from all the previous Rocky movies in ways, but I never felt like it absolutely stole anything. I think there is definite potential for a sequel and I personally hope to see one, maybe with him fighting the guy from the gym in LA at the start of the movie. I thought the performances in this were really solid, especially from the main guy (I'm drawing a blank on his name). If you were a fan of the Rocky series, go and see this as soon as you can. If you've never seen any of the Rocky movies, I still say go and see this one. I really enjoyed it, and I'm giving it a 4 out of 5.

! JDM The Professional !

Star wars. Holy shit, so good.

Seeing it again today, feels great to nerd out!

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

¿PapaPancho?

Quote from: ! JDM The Professional ! on December 19, 2015, 06:15:22 PM
Star wars. Holy shit, so good.

Seeing it again today, feels great to nerd out!

I thought is was yay with a mix of meh ... granted ive seen all the star wars but it felt great in parts and flat in others.

Snap

I went to see Star Wars with my brother and his family. Maybe it was the theatre we went to, but I was surprised at the small amount of people at the showing considering it is the opening weekend. Oh yeah, fair warning, if you haven't seen Star Wars there will be spoilers, so click the tag below at your own discretion.

[spoiler]Before I get into any criticism, I want to make it clear that I really enjoyed the movie. I was concerned, with JJ Abrams being the director, that it would be a blinding experience full of unnecessary lens flares, but I was pleasantly surprised that there was an absolute minimum of such flares. Maybe Abrams' wife's criticism of the flares in Star Trek Into Darkness made him rethink his obsession?

My critiques are that the story didn't feel as much like a sequel as it did watching a new version of Episode IV. It wasn't as blatant rehashing as Into Darkness liberally ripped from Wrath of Khan, but the overall feel of the story felt like it was trying to get as many beats from the original trilogy as it could. Some examples include vital information being smuggled within a droid and coming into the possession of the young protagonist of the story, which results in a journey to deliver the droid to the Resistance. Han and Kylo Ren provide the Obi-wan/Vader confrontation with one meeting his end in both encounters. The Star Killer destroyed the Republic worlds and then set the Resistance in its sights, just as the Death Star did substituting coming into range of the rebel base for the Star Killer drawing power from the sun to power its weapon.  The battle to destroy the Star Killer is also evocative of the climactic battle against the Death Star.

Now, my critiques may make it sound like I disliked the movie but, really, I didn't. I found the heavy call backs to be a bit much, similar to how TRON Legacy, with many more direct call backs as well as some dialogue lifted verbatim, felt like a remake of the original TRON than a sequel. With Star Wars, it was very clearly a sequel with just a few too many call backs and a general tone trying to replicate Episode IV which will be more noticeable when viewing the entire saga as a single story.

I give the movie 4 immolated Vader helmets out of 5.[/spoiler]

Chris Shields

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - I enjoyed this movie a lot. It was much better than the prequels, maybe not quite as good as the originals (at least Empire and Jedi). Push comes to shove, I would put it on par with Episode IV, especially considering the fair amount of similarities between the two of them. It's not a situation where the storyline was straight up stolen, but there are definite elements from Episode IV, in this one. Special effects were top notch and never felt like they were overdone or the movie was dependent on them. The performances were solid, and I think the new batch of talent mixed well with some of the characters from previous films. the biggest thing that Episode VII did, was get me very excited for Episodes VIII and IX. This was a very good start to this new trilogy, and I may just be there opening night for the next one, as opposed to waiting a few days. I'm gonna give this one a 4 out of 5, and suggest it for any Star Wars fan.

Chris Shields

The Big Short - Really good movie, great cast and a very interesting story. The source material is something that could be very very boring (banking, the housing bubble, sum prime mortgages, etc.), and there was a little bit of a lull kind of late on the movie, but it was never enough to make me lose interest. That said, this kind of movie isn't going to be for everyone. If you like character driven stories, if you like stories based on true stories, and you do have at least a general knowledge of the housing bubble, this will appeal to you. What I found most interesting in the movie, is that there's no true hero in the movie and the villain is an assortment of people who simply work for or within a massive faceless entity. Even the "good guys" aren't really good guys, because them succeeding, means people losing their jobs and homes and the collapse of the economy. That's also partly what makes the movie so good. It is true to life, it is a real story, it's a story about an event that has impacted everyone who will see it, n some way shape or form, just told with a focus on this unknown story. As I said, not for everyone, but if you do enjoy these kinds of movies, I highly recommend it. I'm giving it a 4 out of 5.

Chris Shields

The Revenant - This is one of those movies that I like, but I would have loved it if they cut say 20 - 30 minutes. There were a few too many nature shots. They could have cut a good 10 minutes where it was nothing but trees and rivers. They served no purpose or even when it was helping to set the scene, they took 2 minutes to do what could have been done in 20 seconds. There are small parts where the movie kind of lulls and drags, where a few cuts of extraneous material, could have been cut. That, is my only complaint about the movie though. A very good story, very visual in not just the violence, but in his struggle for survival. The performances were top notch, especially, DiCaprio, and Hardy. This is yet another performance that seems destined to finally net DiCaprio that Oscar, but you never know. He conveys emotions in such a believable way, and he does so with very little dialogue. If he said more than 200 words in this movie, I would be surprised. That's what ultimately makes his performance so good. It feels real, it feels pure and there's a subtle brilliance to what he does in certain scenes that just adds a lot of depth to the story and character. The movie was good, his performance was fantastic and I was very pleasantly surprised by Tom Hardy. Hardy is great as the asshole piece of shit who only cares about himself and getting his money for the job. I would highly recommend this, if only for those two performances. I'm giving this a 4 out of 5.