News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Shields

The Hateful Eight - Fuck Quentin Tarantino. There, I said it, it's out of the way. Seriously, this movie was 2 hours and forty five damn minutes, and not a damn thing happened for the first hour and a half. It's all just talking and talking and talking and talking, and at least 40 percent of it is pretty unnecessary. I get setting up characters and foreshadowing and all of that stuff, but everything that was foreshadowed, could have been accomplished with much less. There are things that get repeated four, five, six times, and it's just too much. The other problem is that while there is action, it's not spread out. Nothing happens for the first 90 minutes, and then the next 60 is overly busy and full. By the time it got to anything good, I was falling asleep and ready for the movie to end. This movie promises some fun crazy wild ride, and it really doesn't deliver. Not to mention, none of the performances are anything incredible, and holy fuck does Tarantino love using the N-Word. It seems to be his fallback when he can't think of anything else. It's so overused, it's not even one of those deals where "well, they did say it a lot in that time period", kind of deals. To me, this was a very boring movie and it is getting incredibly overrated by pretentious asshole critics. I'm giving this one a 2 out of 5.

Chris Shields

Concussion - Good movie, and a really good performance from Will Smith. This is one of those movies that could have been really boring and drawn out and filled with a whole bunch of medical jargon that you wouldn't understand, but thank God they focused on the man and not the research. The research does play a part on the movie, and it has to, but it's more about how people react to what he's doing it, what he's finding, and what it could mean. Supporting cast does a really good job, and things move at a solid pace. The movie never really bogs down or gets slow. I will say, this isn't gonna be for everyone. if you don't really care for biopics and the true stories, you won't really care and probably won't see it anyway. However, if you do enjoy those kinds of movies, you should enjoy this one, and I would suggest seeing it. Giving this a 4 out of 5.

Straight Outta Compton - I finally saw this, and I was glad that I did. It's a good movie, good ensemble cast, and it does do a lot to show you the early days of N.W. A. The focus is mainly on Eazy E, Dr. Dre, and Ice Cube, but other people you know do show up (Suge Knight, Snoop Dogg, Tupac), and it also gives a little bit of time to the other members of N.W. A. (the ones nobody really remembers). I do think that if you were born before like 1970, you won't care as much about this movie as someone who grew up when "gangsta" rap was really becoming popular. For me, I was a kid when all of the stuff was happening, but it remained popular as I was growing up. So it's relateable to me in a way and I have that interest, where as an older person isn't going to have a similar connection with the source material. I really enjoyed this movie, and while no single performance really stands out as being great, all of the performances were good. I'm giving this one a 4 out of 5.

! JDM The Professional !

Spotlight - great film about pedophiles in the catholic church being exposed by the Boston Globe back in 2001. Awesome acting. Worth watching.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.

Quote from: Kise on February 29, 2012, 01:42:01 AM
Shake and bake, JDM! S-n-B!

!JDM'S Top Ten Movies of all Time!
1. Leon the Professional
2. American Beauty
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind
4. The Big Lebowskie
5. There will be blood
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Once upon a time in the West
8. The Proposition
9. Reservoir Dogs
10. Taxi Driver

Black Death

Deadpool - Fucking Awesome ,  Go see this movie now , not now , but right now. Love it - action , comedy , just the right amount of dick jokes.  I have not laugh so hard in at movies in awhile.  It Deadpool done right and I would not have it any other way.  not going to spoil it , I had a fun time

Highest Recommend possible , just go see it ,  Damn going to see it again when i get the chance ... normally don't do  that , but this was worth it. 

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Gravedigger

Quote from: Black Death on February 13, 2016, 10:37:52 PM
Deadpool - Fucking Awesome ,  Go see this movie now , not now , but right now. Love it - action , comedy , just the right amount of dick jokes.  I have not laugh so hard in at movies in awhile.  It Deadpool done right and I would not have it any other way.  not going to spoil it , I had a fun time

Highest Recommend possible , just go see it ,  Damn going to see it again when i get the chance ... normally don't do  that , but this was worth it.

BD is spot on here.... This movie was great. Funny, action packed... a hell of a time at the movies. Went with my dad to see it, we both loved it.

Cory

Quote from: Black Death on February 13, 2016, 10:37:52 PM

Sick, gonna check it out next week.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Triple B

Quote from: Chris Shields on December 28, 2015, 05:09:29 PM
The Hateful Eight - Fuck Quentin Tarantino. There, I said it, it's out of the way. Seriously, this movie was 2 hours and forty five damn minutes, and not a damn thing happened for the first hour and a half. It's all just talking and talking and talking and talking, and at least 40 percent of it is pretty unnecessary. I get setting up characters and foreshadowing and all of that stuff, but everything that was foreshadowed, could have been accomplished with much less. There are things that get repeated four, five, six times, and it's just too much. The other problem is that while there is action, it's not spread out. Nothing happens for the first 90 minutes, and then the next 60 is overly busy and full. By the time it got to anything good, I was falling asleep and ready for the movie to end. This movie promises some fun crazy wild ride, and it really doesn't deliver. Not to mention, none of the performances are anything incredible, and holy fuck does Tarantino love using the N-Word. It seems to be his fallback when he can't think of anything else. It's so overused, it's not even one of those deals where "well, they did say it a lot in that time period", kind of deals. To me, this was a very boring movie and it is getting incredibly overrated by pretentious asshole critics. I'm giving this one a 2 out of 5.

My wife fell asleep during the movie.
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Drama Queen

I finally got around to watching RWBY Volume one.

And I have to say, to me personally, it is everything that is wonderful about story-telling. I see elements of so many of my favorites in this. It manages to be reasonably dark and edgy, yet woefully silly and sometimes just plain awkward, but all at the right times.

The characters start off a bit clichéd, but really grow on me and completely draw me in. I find myself genuinely feeling for them. I found myself constantly drawing similarities to the Princess Bride, to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and to Harry Potter, in terms of really caring for the core group of characters and wanting good things to happen.

Honestly it's one of those kind of gems, whereas, if you get it, you get it, and if you don't there are many reasons to dislike it. The animation is not particularly polished, the pacing is sometimes a bit slow, and it is not the most original setting, but something.... something ties it all together and makes it captivating. So much so, I'm going to watch the second volume tonight.

The music is phenomenal. In fact it is what drew me to it in the first place. I started listening to some J-Pop on Pandora, and these songs by Jeff Williams (whom I'd never heard of up to this point) kept coming up and each song was a story in itself, and hopped across many different genres of music to form a very original sound (to me at least). And I thought, I've got to check this show/movie.

I highly recommend trying it out. But at the same time, with the disclaimer that it's not for everyone.

Edited to add: Reading over this I good have just summed it up by saying it's great, but in a very (deliberately) clumsy way.

Tezmission Black

Quote from: Drama Queen on February 14, 2016, 10:49:35 AM
I finally got around to watching RWBY Volume one.

And I have to say, to me personally, it is everything that is wonderful about story-telling. I see elements of so many of my favorites in this. It manages to be reasonably dark and edgy, yet woefully silly and sometimes just plain awkward, but all at the right times.

The characters start off a bit clichéd, but really grow on me and completely draw me in. I find myself genuinely feeling for them. I found myself constantly drawing similarities to the Princess Bride, to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and to Harry Potter, in terms of really caring for the core group of characters and wanting good things to happen.

Honestly it's one of those kind of gems, whereas, if you get it, you get it, and if you don't there are many reasons to dislike it. The animation is not particularly polished, the pacing is sometimes a bit slow, and it is not the most original setting, but something.... something ties it all together and makes it captivating. So much so, I'm going to watch the second volume tonight.

The music is phenomenal. In fact it is what drew me to it in the first place. I started listening to some J-Pop on Pandora, and these songs by Jeff Williams (whom I'd never heard of up to this point) kept coming up and each song was a story in itself, and hopped across many different genres of music to form a very original sound (to me at least). And I thought, I've got to check this show/movie.

I highly recommend trying it out. But at the same time, with the disclaimer that it's not for everyone.

Edited to add: Reading over this I good have just summed it up by saying it's great, but in a very (deliberately) clumsy way.

Keep watching, Volume 3=Amazing.

Chris Shields

Deadpool - This movie was everything I was hoping for in a Deadpool movie, and I can't wait for Deadpool 2. Great comedy, plenty of violence and it did have a real plot that was simple but understandable and a great way to ease in people who may not be that familiar with Deadpool. My only critiques would be that the pacing was a little strange as it went back and forth between present and past, a few times. That and the villains in the movie were alright, but not great. Instead of it feeling like there was a main villain and his top henchmen or henchwoman in the case of this one, it felt like they were the top henchmen for someone else. Still, that's a minor thing since this movie was never about the villain or villains, it was about fucking Deadpool and it delivered on that and then some. This movie gave Maximim Effort and is getting a 4 out of 5 from me.

Cory

Really loved Deadpool, and that's as someone who isn't really into anything Marvel has done except the Daredevil series. Great mix of comedy, action and I love the pot shots throughout at the other Marvel movies as a lot of it was my opinion as well. (Sorry as a Kid I could never grasp why every "hero" couldnt kill a bad guy). Heard they are working on a 2nd one, should be great.

4.5/5

Cory

I'll second Dope, really good, underrated movie.

Adam Wrong

Midnight Special : Dull as fuck road movie with more holes than Swiss cheese.

Drama Queen

Kal Ho Naa Ho
I don't usually like sentimental shite, so it takes something very unique like a Forrest Gump to move me in anything that involves romance, but this pulled it off. Yes it is a love triangle story which I feel dirty admitting, but it is bloody good. It's Bollywood, but it's set in New York. I might be biased because I've been really enjoying Indian culture recently and I'm always partial to anything with cheesy musical numbers (you should check out the Hindi tribute version of "Pretty Woman" in this movie... it's ridiculous in the best possible way. The movie in general is funny and charming and completely sucked me in until it took a couple of darker twists and honestly had me fighting back tears.

If anyone is interested in Bollywood, this is a good place to start. I unashamedly gave it five stars.

Piku
This essentially becomes a road trip movie.
A young woman is at her wits end caring for her hypochondriac father (who thinks he is dying from constipation), and her frustrations make her the worst possible passenger for taxi drivers who always end up crashing or in some other trouble due to her always running late for work (because of her father) and insisting on them going faster. When the entire family has to make the 72 hour trip from New Delhi to Kolkata, the owner of the taxi company cannot convince any of his drivers to bring them, so he braces himself and undertakes the job himself.

Despite the description above (obviously there's more to it), really compelling story, great dialogue, and the beautiful scenery along the way really gives it that road trip feel. Some dry humor, but a more serious tone than the other Bollywood flicks I've seen so far. I gave this one four stars.

Amaya
A coming of age story, as a young woman who has a very tight bond with her mother since her father died, cannot handle the realization that her mom is actually dating a guy who she thought was just a friend of the family, and with whom she herself was co-writing a book with. The guy in question has some issues of his own. Well told story overall, the main guy is a very interesting character, and despite some of the serious themes, still broken up with a couple of catchy musical numbers covering some of the lighter sup-plots. I also gave it a four.

Adam Wrong

Demolition: Jake Gyllenhall is marvellous in this. Plays a guy losing his wife suddenly and how he deals with his feelings and the strange relationship he builds with a vending machine customer services assistant.

Peculiar yet beautiful movie.

8/10