Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Bombay

Hondo

Despicable Me

Took my oldest daughter to see it tonight. I thought it would be good, but it really exceeded my expectations. Genuine humor and excellent voice acting throughout. The story was a little predictable and formulaic, but still interesting and fun. 8/10.

"Just do the best you can with whatever gift God has given you, whatever intellect you have. Use it. Be good while you're doing it. Love your neighbor. Love the One that created you. Enjoy the cosmos. And rock on." - Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

GET HIM TO THE GREEK

Jonah Hill is a right fat bastard now, but amazing performance from Sean Coombs and Russell Brand plays himself. Surprisingly had me LOL a lot in the film. Check it out.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Tim-Æ

Get Him to the Greek was alright. I did laugh. Jonah Hill was hilarious with the dildo.

Toy Story 3 was depressing as hell. Not that funny, but very heart wrenching. Really sad.

Predators was great for its concept but boring overall.

Alyssa Ferro

Remember Me.

Kick my dick.

My girlfriend made me see this sorry excuse for a movie. I felt bad for Pierce Brosnan to have to be attached to such a horrendous excuse for cinema.

Robert Pattinson needs to be run out of town. Let him make movies in Darfur. the fact that they make shit like that and that women actually want to see this sorry bullshit pisses me off.

Oh, did I mention she's now my ex-girfriend?

Lucius Jenkins

In my film class we saw a special screening of "Predators"

It was really, really good! Though, I 'm not a fan of re-makes of any kind, but this was well done.

Pay no atention to "Predator 2" for this one should have been the REAL sequel. Not knocking Danny Glover's "Predator 2", but this one was more true to the original.

The characters were great, even though Adrian Brody was considered one of the most dangerous killers on Earth, his acting was great.

Fishburne was excellent as usual, his character might have carried the whole movie along with the Predators.

Overall: 8/10 - Robert Rodriguez and Nimrod did a stand up job in this franchise.

Rob.B

Daybreakers

The idea behind it was an interesting one and I don't think it was used to its full effect. The world has been completely adapted to suit the need of Vampires, humans have become an endangered species. It was a decent film but it should have been better.

C

Tezmission Black

Jonny Worldbeater

Blade Runner: The Director's Cut

You know how you have some movies that you know you ought to see but you never get around to? Well this was one of those for me. I'd heard nothing but good things about this movie but never really took the time to watch it, and I ended up renting it out from the video store on an impulse and it was actually looking like I'd have to take it back before I'd seen it since I didn't watch it all week that I had it for.

Luckily enough, I forgot to get it back when it was due along with a few other DVDs I'd rented out for the week, so I just decided 'Fuck it, they're late already and I'm gonna get charged for 'em anyway, might as well watch it now'.

And goddamn am I glad I finally got to see this movie. Absolutely amazing, and about as brilliant a sci-fi movie as you're ever likely to see. I don't think there's much of anything in science fiction media that came out after Blade Runner that doesn't owe something to it, and of course I'd have to credit it for, if not inventing, then most certainly popularising the Cyberpunk genre.

An extraordinary film, IMO. A masterpiece.

Black Death

Quote from: Lucius Jenkins on July 13, 2010, 11:36:09 AM
In my film class we saw a special screening of "Predators"

It was really, really good! Though, I 'm not a fan of re-makes of any kind, but this was well done.

Pay no atention to "Predator 2" for this one should have been the REAL sequel. Not knocking Danny Glover's "Predator 2", but this one was more true to the original.

The characters were great, even though Adrian Brody was considered one of the most dangerous killers on Earth, his acting was great.

Fishburne was excellent as usual, his character might have carried the whole movie along with the Predators.

Overall: 8/10 - Robert Rodriguez and Nimrod did a stand up job in this franchise.

Predator 2 was supossed to be the sequel with  the GOV.  but he drop out and did another flim ( can not remember which one )  it was written for danny glover .   Also i know it was supposed to take place in New York city

"Asuka, gives you two thumbs up"

Gates

Quote from: Jack Benevolence on July 19, 2010, 02:46:02 AM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I rented it because critics all said it was great and I need to. It's based off a book. It was 2 1/2 hours long, and for me, most of the time that's just too long, and this was one of those times it felt like it was just too long. Lot's of stuff I thought they could have cut out. It's in sub titles as well, and call me an idiot if you want, but it's hard to enjoy a movie, especially a 2 and a half hour one, when reading the hole time. The subtitles where pretty quick also, so I found myself trying to keep up more then enjoy the story.

All that said, it wasn't a bad movie. It flowed pretty well and told an interesting enough story...even if at sometimes things felt a little overly coincidental and maybe a bit unrealistic. If you like thrillers/gritty crime dramas, and don't mind long movies with subtitles, you'll probably dig this.

Apparently there's (eventually) supposed to be an American version coming out in 2012 directed by David Fincher. If you partially enjoyed that one, the American one might be better...

Jonny Worldbeater

The Grudge (American Version)

OK, so basically 'The Grudge' only really makes sense if you're familiar with Japanese mythology and folklore because that's what the ghost in both this and The Ring is about, because they're both spirits of vengeance born out of violent murders, but unlike say The Crow, they don't come back to kill the people responsible but kill anyone who comes into contact with them, and apparently anyone related to anyone who comes into contact with them.

Which makes me wonder why they even bothered to remake a horror movie for American audiences that is so inherently based around Japanese mythology without making any attempt to explain what's going on.

So basically, if you don't know any of that going in, what you'll get out of the movie is still 'nothing happens for 90 minutes and they throw in a few lame jump scares.'

I guess I'll have to check out the original to see if that's any good, and maybe if anything actually happens.

Adam Wrong

Both Grudge US and Jap suck donkey balls...
as does One Missed Call

Matthew Patterson

Quote from: M.D.K. on July 21, 2010, 07:29:52 AM
Both Grudge US and Jap suck donkey balls...
as does One Missed Call

Quoted for truth.

But I only watched the Grudge 2 and One Missed Call 2... the USA versions...

Jonny Worldbeater

Today I've been trying to sit through both of Michael Bay's Transformers movies for the RiffTrax commentary of them, which is pretty much the only reason I decided to offer any attention to them.

I saw the first movie in theaters about 3 years ago and never watched it again until now, and as for the second movie I've seen bits and pieces of it but never the full thing.

Right now I'm stopped at the 40 minute mark of the first movie, and I'd say I've probably left it paused there for at least an hour or two now.

I'm not gonna go on a rant or anything since that's well-trodden territory and quite frankly I'm sure nobody wants to hear it, especially since these movies are way past the point of being relevant anyway, but suffice it to say... It's bad.

Really.

Really.

Bad.

I don't really know what it is, I mean I watch and even own a lot of cheesy, mindless movies, but I just can't tolerate these kinds of 'popcorn movies' and I just don't get this idea of 'turning your brain off' to enjoy a movie. I don't really understand how people can do that and I don't really understand why you'd want to, but I do feel like these movies make it absolutely necessary for you to turn your brain off to watch them because I feel like it's insulting my intelligence.

I just think its pure egotism commited to celluloid, taking a lot of time to say absolutely nothing, and you probably could've achieved the same result with both movies by shooting 5 hours of footage of Michael Bay aggressively beating off.

But then, I pretty much knew all of that going in, so the least I can say is that with these movies, as many excruiatingly bad and or painfully self-indulgent films such as for example Battlefield Earth or Batman & Robin, it's probably worth seeing (but only with the RiffTrax commentary over it) just for the experience of seeing just how bad it is and for the catharsis of the Mystery Science Theater boys giving the film it's richly-deserved kick in the crotch.