Give a small review of the last movie you watched.

Started by TaNK, July 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Patterson

It Might Get Loud

It's a documentary on Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge... so it's humanly impossible to give this a bad review. It gives you a good insight into what White, Edge and Page all value in their guitar playing, music, their origins and all out just how they feel about music. It ends with a cover of The Weight by all three, which wins it for me.

Draeden

Clash of the Titans - I read loads of people moaned about this movie, can't see why. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Kraken was cool.

Jonny Worldbeater

Tombstone

Awesome, AWESOME Western. Kurt Russell & Val Kilmer were absolutely tremendous and Doc Holliday is one of the biggest badasses ever committed to film. It gets a little over the top at times, but it's quite excellent.

Drama Queen

Quote from: Jonny Worldbeater on July 27, 2010, 08:37:04 PM
Tombstone

Awesome, AWESOME Western. Kurt Russell & Val Kilmer were absolutely tremendous and Doc Holliday is one of the biggest badasses ever committed to film. It gets a little over the top at times, but it's quite excellent.

Loved it. Val Kilmer's best role since Top Secret!

Rob.B

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Just got back from seeing the A-team and BOY AM I FUCKING PISSED the casting of Liam as Hannibal on paper might look good, but in actuality it was fucking retarded he was AWFUL and every sentence played on his famous ‘plan’ phrase over and over and over again and you know what you prick...get a different fucking accent once in a while. I stand by Rob Roy being an utter pile of wank and you haven’t improved since then. Bradley Cooper has way too many uncool moments to be considered Face. There was a shit load more to Face than portrayed in this film. Copley was very passable as Murdoch to be honest and Rampage did a decent job as BA, but really lacking was the script as well. I mean the fact that there was no real tensions between BA and Murdock which was a major selling point of the original tv series. The inclusion of Beil as the love interest of Face was over the top and a lot of the stunts like the tank parachuting out of a fucking plane was just incredibly dumb. I heard that a lot of folks felt this was a decent flick. As a massive A-Team fan growing up I was bitterly disappointed and would advise people not to waste their cash and reinvest in another screening of Inception.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Duckman

Funny People - The first Adam Sandler film in a long time I've really enjoyed and really liked him in.  Judd Apatow wrote and directed this.  Sandler basically plays himself and finds out he has a blood disease that means he's going to die.  He hires Seth Rogan who is an aspiring stand up comic to write jokes for him.  Of course Jonah Hill is his mate who also helps write for Sandler.

Sandler is fucking great in this.  The funny scenes are funny and when he needs to do the serious moments he's very believable and gets a lot of sympathy.

The film kind of dies off in the final third with the love interest bit.  Although Eric Bana is awesome as Sandler's ex new husband.

Tons of appearances by famous stand ups and celebrities.  Eminem going mental at Ray from Everyone Loves Raymond had me rolling with laughter!  Great stuff.

A solid and very enjoyable film.  Worth checking out if you need a giggle.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Flins.

^^

Agreed. Such a shame it trailed off towards the end. My favourite scene is with Seth, Sandler and Sandlers doctor.

---

Sherlock Holmes

Finally got around to watching this, i'm a huge fan of Downey Jnr but wasn't sure about the casting of Jude Law. The latter was the reason i decided against watching this at the cinema, and i am really disappointed i judged the film off of one actor.

It wasn't a fantastic film in my opinion, and at points it is being completly carried by Downey's performance. Its visually great, captures the era well. The story is paced nicely, with a great script, although thats usually the case with Guy Ritchie. Downey's potrayal of Sherlock was great to watch, and he had decent chemistry with a respectable Law, Mark Strong was also enjoyable as the villain.

Entertaining flick, but nothing special. Certainly worth a watch.

Excaligore

Audition-

By far one of the best horror films, or films in general I've ever seen. Definitely worth watching for anyone who isn't a pussy.

A+

Tezmission Black

Bleach: Memory's of Nobody.

Originally I was not a fan of the Bleach series until someone convinced me to watch a couple episodes and I really enjoyed them. Well I have begun to read the manga very slowly, and they have started the series over again from the beginning which kinda messed up the fact that I bought the box set for the first season.

Anyways, to the first Bleach movie. The first and second came on yesterday but Ive watched both before. Memory's of Nobody is a very well done movie, they don't really give you much of a time frame of when the movie happens, but it seems to be set after Soul Society story arc.

This movie is not nearly as action packed, but the storyline really shines, they take the time to explain everything for those who have never watched the series might be confused about.

So all and all I'd give it a 8 out of 10.

I also have the Bleach 2: Diamond Dust Rebellion, but I have not watched it fully yet so maybe tomorrow I might have it to review.

Also I can't WAIT for the 3 Bleach movie to come out, from the reviews I have read so far about it, it seems like it's going to be pretty epic.

Duckman

Tranformers 2.  For a friday night film when your brain is half dead after a long week at work and you just want to chill with a beer and a pack of doritos this was great.

A film that doesn't try to be anything other than completely over the top, loud, sexy and dumb.

Just what was needed.

Not a classic or one that's going to change cinema, but for bubblegum for the brain kind of movie I really enjoyed it.

Plus some of the little gimmicks they used, like Soundwave hooked to the satelite and bumblebee kicking some ass late in the movie were good.

Border line racist with some of the other robots right enough - the two twins especially had me cringing like hell.

Still, for what it is (a film based on toys for fucks sake!) an enjoyable way to kill an hour and a half.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Bryan

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li

Aside from the first Mortal Kombat and maybe a few others that escape my mind most video game movies are crap and this one is no exception. Everything about this movie was LAME. The dialogue was cheesy and dumb and not in a good way and there were a bunch of inconsistencies throughout the film, like cuts magically healing and people seemingly dying in explosions but then coming back without zero explanation. I would have ignored all of that if the action sequences were any good (since that's what people want to see anyway) but they weren't, they were just a bunch of stop motion crap that came off as lame. The fact that aside from a handful of familiar names there was zero resemblance to anything Street Fighter in this movie was also lame too. Only compliment would probably go the guy who played Bison as he came off well as a evil heel and Micheal Clarke Duncan was alright as Barlog. Everyone else sucked here and so did this movie overall. There isn't even a campy factor to the movie like the 1994 movie- just a dull, run of the mill action movie that's not worth watching.

Bryan

Mac and Me

I am beyond amazed by this movie...it is the single most blatant obvious ripoff of ET that I have ever seen, first off, and aside from that almost in EVERY SCENE IN THE MOVIE someone's drinking a coke, eating skittles, breakdancing at McDonalds, running through Sears or have some kind of product placement SOMEWHERE. Movie is just plain horrible, not even in a funny way like Troll 2 or The Room, just completely lame with cheap production values that make the film even stupider.

F

Adam Wrong

The History Boys

I had heard great things about this and it stars the likes of James Corden and Russell Tovey and what do I see? A film that depicts all 17 year old boys as bi curious, asking for blowjobs off of their teachers, quoting old movies, happily being molested by dirty old men and claiming that they are just being themselves while apparently preparing for OXbridge exams. The biggest pile of tripe I have ever endured

F

Jonny Worldbeater

Kick-Ass

I’ve been watching it this morning.  It's okay. The stuff with the mobsters is fine and the stuff with Nic Cage and the little chick is pretty rad, but I can totally see how the book is a load of shit from a complete fucking hack writer.

Jesse Eisenburg is a total geek playing second-fiddle in his own movie while the real protagonists steal the show. A lot of the references are kinda eye-rolly, and I think most of the peeps that compare it to a Tarantino flick are just looking for an easy label to slap on it. It’s less like Tarantino, more like Tarantino wannabes like Guy Ritchie and the dude who did the Boondock Saints.

But yeah, there's nothing really wrong with the movie that wouldn't have been just as wrong if not moreso in the comic. The gratuitous violence, profanity, sexual references, the screwed- up morality and general distubingness all just for it's own sake, the shameless self-promotion of the comic book in the movie based on the comic book, the name-dropping of pop-culture fads in an attempt to be ‘hip’ and ‘with it’ and the complete detachment from any reality despite the dickhead writer's claims that it's 'the first ever comic book set in the real world'.

But I don't blame any of my problems with the movie on the movie, the director, the cast or whatever â€" they’re all just doing the best they can with what they have to work with - I blame them on the clueless, egotistical fuckball whose book the movie is based on.

And yeah, I got the comic book and comic movie references, but they weren’t really funny or clever or anything, they just reminded me of movies or books I could be watching or reading instead.

As far as the good stuff goes, it’s all about Hit Girl and Big Daddy. The chick who plays Hit Girl, Chloe Moretz, pretty much just her career on this role and was really great and really likable even (and some would say especially) when she’s doing and saying horrible things that a 12-year old girl really shouldn’t. If they were ever to make a movie based on the Batgirl comics with the Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown stuff, I think she’d be absolutely awesome for it.

And Nic Cage. I’ve never exactly been a Nic Cage fan, in fact I think the majority of movies he’s been in range from bad to hilariously awful, but he was tremendous in this movie. When he was doing the ‘disguise your voice’ thing and basically talking in Shatnerese and doing an Adam West Batman impression, when he was playing the kindly father figure, and when he was playing the wronged cop out for vigilante justice, it was all great, and as I understand was a far better and more reasonable depiction of the character than there was in the comic book.

And to be fair, the story does get a lot better towards the end when all the really heavy shit starts to go down. And the action, as superfluous as it can be, is pretty fuckin’ great.

The soundtrack’s pretty fucking weird too and a lot of the music really suits doesn’t the scenes, but I think that’s kinda the point.

The movie's fine, even really good at times, especially the stuff with Hit Girl and Big Daddy, and it’s better than I expected coming in, but I wasn’t really into it to begin with and it never really won me over the same way Scott Pilgrim vs. The World did from the second that movie started.

That being said, I warmed up to it in the end and it had a satisfying, if completely fucking ridiculous, ending.

So, to summarise, fuck Mark Millar up the ass with a  barbed wire dick, and if you want to see a fun Stallone/Swartzenegger mid 80’s style action movie, check out Kick-Ass.

So yeah, ‘real world’: My ass.

Fun mindless action: Hell yeah.

Call it thumbs in the middle, leaning up.