News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Started by Exile, December 18, 2009, 03:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midas

I am going to see it this weekend... Worried about the 3D as people have said they are walking out with headaches...

Midas

Ok just got back from seeing Avatar…

My brother in law wanted to check it out on Imax 3D so I went along with him and we caught the movie.

Anyways I went in with a open mind as I did not want to pre-judge the movie. My brother in law said it was the best movie he ever saw as I can honestly say that it was well worth the money and was a decent film. Maybe on my top 50 films…

Pros
--- Graphics were crazy good
--- 3D was spectacular
--- Storyline was actually good IMO, I mean I think they spent enough time developing the relationships and while it was a standard Hollywood storyline I still think it hit the mark.
--- Stephen Lang as Col Miles was my fav character in the movie as I think he played his role perfectly.
--- Michelle Rodriguez in a slightly torn wife beater… NICE

Cons
--- Too fucking long… While I know it was needed to make the movie flow better I still thinking making someone sit for 2 hours and 45 minutes with 3D glasses on there face is wrong.
--- A fight scene between one of the blue people and one of those robot things made no sense to me. I mean these creatures should not be able to use a metal object to stop the force of this robot’s arm coming down. (Don’t want to be to specific)
--- I think the mating scene in the movie should have been less human and more alien. Why were they kissing and necking? They should have taken those funky tails and had some fun lol

That’s about it as I think the movie worked well and as far as I am concerned it is a solid B…

Tim-Æ

Quote from: Donnovan Midas on January 03, 2010, 01:00:12 AM
Ok just got back from seeing Avatar…

My brother in law wanted to check it out on Imax 3D so I went along with him and we caught the movie.

Anyways I went in with a open mind as I did not want to pre-judge the movie. My brother in law said it was the best movie he ever saw as I can honestly say that it was well worth the money and was a decent film. Maybe on my top 50 films…

Pros
--- Graphics were crazy good
--- 3D was spectacular
--- Storyline was actually good IMO, I mean I think they spent enough time developing the relationships and while it was a standard Hollywood storyline I still think it hit the mark.
--- Stephen Lang as Col Miles was my fav character in the movie as I think he played his role perfectly.
--- Michelle Rodriguez in a slightly torn wife beater… NICE

Cons
--- Too fucking long… While I know it was needed to make the movie flow better I still thinking making someone sit for 2 hours and 45 minutes with 3D glasses on there face is wrong.
--- A fight scene between one of the blue people and one of those robot things made no sense to me. I mean these creatures should not be able to use a metal object to stop the force of this robot’s arm coming down. (Don’t want to be to specific)
--- I think the mating scene in the movie should have been less human and more alien. Why were they kissing and necking? They should have taken those funky tails and had some fun lol

That’s about it as I think the movie worked well and as far as I am concerned it is a solid B…

I felt that the sex scene was absurd and really stupid. It just sent an awkward shockwave through the theater and everyone just kind of stared at each other wondering why they took their kids to see Smurfs fuck. It was strange.

That being said, I'm starting to loathe this movie, due to the excessive fanboy rage surrounding it. It's a good movie, worth watching, but people are flipping out over it. Kind makes me hate the movie a little bit.

Tezmission Black

I went and seen it tonight, I normally can't watch 3D films, and to be honest this was my first, so the 2 hour 45 minute thing was something I suffered through, The movie itself was prob one of the best movies I've seen in the past five years. The "sex" scene I don't know if I'd call it that, did not really effect me much.

As far as acting went, I think everyone did there roles very well, Michelle Rodriguez really did well in the scenes she had and I always like seeing her do well in movies.

But I do have to agree, some of the things could of been done more Alien, but hell, the movie was damn near perfect, graphics where great, storyline was pretty good, music was good.

But yeh that was my review...I think it upped the bar for films this year to beat it.

KenFucious

I went to see it with my wife and expected it to suck balls. I thought it was pretty awesome. I didn't see it in 3D though. Just regular D. Good movie. The Colonel was my favorite character.

Duckman

I saw this on Saturday.  I wasn’t impressed at all with Avatar to be honest.  It was half an hour too long, it had some of the most clunky and preachy dialogue I’ve ever heard in a movie and it was so hippy and tree hugging it almost made me sick.  Very much like the ‘hybrid car’ episode of South Park a few years ago â€" only this time the farts of the blue people don’t smell at all because they are so in touch with nature etc.  I’ll be honest, I don’t give a fuck about the environment and I don’t believe in man made climate change, so to be sat there getting hit over the head repeatedly with all these not so subtle messages for three hours did piss me off!

The action scenes though were incredible and visually the film is a massive leap forward â€" especially in 3D which is how I watched it.  I just felt the storyline was so predictable and all the bangs and flashes couldn’t take away from what was an incredibly clunky script and a very generic ‘Hollywood standard’ action film in terms of the plot.

A big disappointment given the hype surrounding it but the cinema was packed out with people lined up outside to see it â€" so the hype machine is working but the film just doesn’t deliver on that hype.  As my brother said, “that motherfucker did not take 12 years to write the script for this!” 

I'd give it 6 out of 10 and that's all for the fight scenes/amazing visuals.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Excaligore

I am 100% with Sam. I honestly thought it was a steaming pile of moralistic tripe. Visually it was wonderful but I mean it's like the script was written entirely for the purpose of packing in the longest string of predictable cliches humanly possible. I was actually cheering the Colonel in my head when he was blowing up the giant tree. Because, he was the only character that was even remotely likable at that point.

Amazing visually but really the script is the quality of a direct-to-DVD kids action cartoon.

Double G

Quote from: X-Quack on January 25, 2010, 11:41:51 AM
I saw this on Saturday.  I wasn’t impressed at all with Avatar to be honest.  It was half an hour too long, it had some of the most clunky and preachy dialogue I’ve ever heard in a movie and it was so hippy and tree hugging it almost made me sick.  Very much like the ‘hybrid car’ episode of South Park a few years ago â€" only this time the farts of the blue people don’t smell at all because they are so in touch with nature etc.  I’ll be honest, I don’t give a fuck about the environment and I don’t believe in man made climate change, so to be sat there getting hit over the head repeatedly with all these not so subtle messages for three hours did piss me off!

The action scenes though were incredible and visually the film is a massive leap forward â€" especially in 3D which is how I watched it.  I just felt the storyline was so predictable and all the bangs and flashes couldn’t take away from what was an incredibly clunky script and a very generic ‘Hollywood standard’ action film in terms of the plot.

A big disappointment given the hype surrounding it but the cinema was packed out with people lined up outside to see it â€" so the hype machine is working but the film just doesn’t deliver on that hype.  As my brother said, “that motherfucker did not take 12 years to write the script for this!” 

I'd give it 6 out of 10 and that's all for the fight scenes/amazing visuals.

Peace

Duckman

Exactly.

Sure it looked fucking brilliant and had so many people working on that stuff but the storyline was predictable and went for too long.

So much for the greatest film of all time.