News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Where should I train at?

Started by MitchMMA, October 21, 2008, 06:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchMMA

These are the top 4 that I am looking at right now, I haven't looked at all of the gyms but these are the four I have my eyes on.

Xtreme Couture- Obviously one of the best gyms out there. Sooo many great fighters train and instruct here including Gray Maynard, Tyson Griffin, Robert Drysdale, Jay Hieron, Gina Carano, etc, and Randy himself. Though it's pricey and it might be a bit too commercialized, meaning the classes might be a bit crowded but then again I could be wrong. This is the ultimate training facility, but I'm wondering if it's really the best option for me. I want to train full time but I'm thinking maybe I should go for a cheaper school and then maybe down the road if I want to I can switch over to XC once I start making some money lol.

Cobra Kai- Marc Laimons gym. I have never been a big fan of Laimon but I have heard he is a good instructor. I don't know what the membership fees are compared to XC because for some reason the link on their site doesn't work but if it's cheaper and ends up being closer to where I will live, I might train there.

Throwdown research and development: Brand new gym. Their website isn't up yet but I have heard good things about it. This might be the best option for me, new gym, probably cheaper than the two others above. If it's close to where I will end up living, this might be my new home lol.

Excel Defense Studios: Seems like a really cool place. Probably not as expensive as XC, looks like they offer some great training here as well.

What do you guys think? I want to get a second opinion other than my own lol.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

You need to be training your mind mate and be worried less about this stuff.

An education is so important in todays world, particularly with the state of the economy the way it is.

I think its less material where you train here...and more important that you have a good education with some qualifications.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Duckman

Quote from: Ian Trumps on October 22, 2008, 04:32:07 AM
You need to be training your mind mate and be worried less about this stuff.

An education is so important in todays world, particularly with the state of the economy the way it is.

I think its less material where you train here...and more important that you have a good education with some qualifications.

Quoted for fucking truth.

An education is going to mean more to you in the long run than learning how to fight.

Learn now, get an education and some life experience, then start thinking about training full time.

It's such a difficult thing to make a living at, same as wrestling, that you don't want to put all your future into it.  If you don't make it, or you get injured, you'll have nothing to fall back on.

Always have something to fall back on and a good education is just the thing.

If I could go back and do school again, I'd take every class, pay attention to every teacher and get every qualification I could, cause without those pieces of paper to say you know shit. you are nothing.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

MitchMMA

JohnS.

No matter how crisp your BJJ or Muay Thai is, you won't be able to fight your way out of debt!

I don't see any harm in tryign to take it up professionally, but like Ian and Sam said, educate yourself too. Knowledge is power, a wise man once said.

God...we probably sound like your parents right now  :)

MitchMMA

lol you do but you are right. I sometimes forget about that stuff, well I don't forget but I don't pay nearly enough attention to it as I should be. I should be focusing more on finishing high school and then college. I definitely need something to fall back on.

Though I would like to focus as much time as possible on my MMA training as it's something I really really really want to do as a career, but education comes first and you are right about that.

Big Gay Honker

In all honesty you'll really want to start in a smaller gym.  In Couture's gym more likely than not you'll get over looked in training for the guys who make a living off it all.  Plus I have no idea how well you fight, and somethings a lot of these guys train too far advanced for you, and you'll be overwhelmed and wont pick anything up.  SO I suggest finding a smaller gym.  I think Frank Mir's dad runs a Gym in Vegas still, and it's an mma school.  Something like that may be up your ally.   You also have to remember a smaller gym will pay more attention to you.  Now maybe after 4 years of training, sure, hit Couture's overpriced gym.

MitchMMA

Yeah true, that's what I was thinking.

I'm thinking since Throwdown is a new gym, that might be a good place.

Duckman

Plus you've got all the time in the world to do this Mitch.  You're ahead of most guys your age because you work out and train a lot at the moment.  Plus you've got the passion for it.

I noticed that a lot of the big names in MMA didn't get really good until well into their 20's and even early 30's.  I don't know if that cause you need ten years in the game to get world class.  Or if it just takes that long until you know all the styles and how to defend as well as attack.

I'd say from now until you finish your schooling keep it as a hobby.  Then when you've got some qualifications, make it your life and see what happens.

Don't give up on your dreams Mitch, just always make sure if they don't work out, you've got an out and school is that out, trust me dude.

Good luck with it all though man!

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

MitchMMA

Thanks Sam! And yeah you are right dude. I should definitely get through college first and focus on that, once I get a bit older I can start training full time but right now I need that education.

All of you have motivated me to try harder with my education and push harder on my online classes! Thanks for the great advice!  :)

TaNK

barring Sam and Ian's excellent point.

Honestly, get the best for what money you have.