News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Just began training Muay Thai and BJJ

Started by MitchMMA, July 22, 2008, 12:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchMMA

Well I have been doing martial arts since I was four years old (Shaolin Kempo Karate), I received my first degree blackbelt and then about 2 years later I moved to GA. For the three years that I have lived here I have not joined a new martial arts gym until just recently all I have been doing was training myself haha. I signed up to a new MMA gym that offers boxing, kickboing, muay thai, and BJJ classes so i'm looking to train in all of those. Yesterday was my first ever Muay Thai class and I loved it, though it was a lot harder than I had expected but that's a good thing because the harder it is the better I will become! Today I will be taking both a Muay Thai class and a BJJ class back to back, hopefully it won't kill me but I should be fine haha. I'm scared shitless cause I hate being the "newbie" but you gotta start somewhere lol.

Cory

Just be prepared to do a lot of fucking running.

I'm only 15, but for two months I was training in Muay Thai and Boxing. My Muay Thai teacher persisted on doing nothing but the fundamentals of striking, clinching, and a whole fuck load of running. It was brutal, but I finished 5th of my weight class (185) in the monthly tournament of 35 people, going like, 3-0, but I had to back out in the quaters because a guy cracked the metatarsal in my right foot.

You lucky to have a gym like that around where you live. Over here, we got boxing, and 'fundamentals' of Muay Thai and Ju Jitsu. Lame.

Im thinking about going back when I cut weight, to at least 170, but good luck with the classes.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

MitchMMA

Yay running lol.

And that's awesome dude, we are about the same age too except I'm 16 lol.

My gym is kinda far from where I live, well it's about a 30 minute drive compared to where I used to live in NY where I could walk there in five minutes haha. Hopefully they won't tear me apart today in Jits class lol, my ground game is not so good so I can tell there gonna be looking at me like "fucking noob" lol.

Cory

My only advise is it may look stupid, but during a water break or something, if you're struggling, or want to improve really quickly, what helped me was brining a note pad and pen, and during the water break, write down what they taught you. Then you can go home and work on anything you might have had trouble with that day.

For me it was my footwork. I took a few notes, Asked questions and worked on it at home on my punching bag. My teacher said that I improved greatly.

BTW, how much is this costing you? Just wondering....

MitchMMA

That's actually a really good idea, I should try that.

As for the price, I don't know off the top of my head as my mommy signed me up :D, lmao but I do know that it wasn't too expensive, we expected it to cost more. I'll find out the exact price tonight though.

With Muay Thai I struggled slightly but I think my SKK background helped me out a lil bit, I just have to work on certain aspects more. However with Jiu-Jitsu I have a feeling I will look like an idiot the first few weeks haha, I mean I know enough to know what's going on while I am watching MMA on TV but when it comes down to actually practicing it I am lost. My old SKK instructor from NY trains at Serra's gym now, I think he is a blue belt but when I was still training there he showed me certain things like applying the arm-bar, triangle, etc. But unfortunetely he only showed me once or twice so I didn't really practice it enough to remember haha.

Hopefully all the bad ass Jits guys in the class won't laugh at me, but if they do it's only motivation :D

JohnS.

Awesome man. It's good to see so many young guys coming up and getting into MMA. Just goes to show you how far the sport has come. Good luck man.

MitchMMA

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

And yeah it's awesome how big the sport is becoming, just imagine how huge it will be five years from now.

Hopefully I'll be a pro by then, that's the plan lol.

Cory

lol, the only reason why I didn't want to fight in the cage at first was because I dont want a cauliflower ear. So fucking disgusting looking, but I found if something should happen, i can get it fixed. yay.

MitchMMA

lol yeah they do look nasty, my mom was like "I really don't want you doing this, look at that guys ears". It's all good though, it's just part of the sport lol.

Though draining those motherfuckers must hurt like a bitch haha

JohnS.

Yeah seeing cauliflower ear burst is crazy...it must suck...but its fun to watch.

Cory

I dont know why they dont get it fixed.

Some say its a 'badge of honor' but I read on the web that if you take it to your doctor within 2 weeks, he'll fix it for you, back to normal.

MitchMMA

Well I just got back from Jits class a few hours ago, fortunetely for me there wasn't a whole lot of people due to a bad storm. It was just me and two other whitebelts (bad ass whitebelts though, pretty impressive dudes), and we drilled gi chokes. We don't usually train with the Gi though, its usually a no Gi class but the instructor said that they train with the Gi once a week or something. I was supposed to take the Muay Thai class before that but my ride was delayed.

I felt like such a newbie, back home in NY I was used to being the leader of the class, now I feel like such a beginner haha it's kinda cool though. I love to learn new things and I want to be a fighter, I want to be one of the best in the world and so I have to think about that every day in training and just push myself past my limits.

I won't be able to roll until my 6th class though, I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully by my 6th class I will be able to hang with the other beginners, maybe even submit most of them.

BJJ is great for the mind though, seriously gets you thinking more logically about even the littlest things lol.

Zombie Gunn

Based on the name, not sure if this is a type of food or a sex act, but good luck.

MitchMMA

AudiblyOffensive

Personally, I'm fond of Judo... probably because I've been studying it for years. :)