Children training in MMA is not "barbaric"

Started by MitchMMA, July 26, 2008, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchMMA

I'm tired of hearing people that have NO IDEA what MMA is about, saying "it's barbaric that children are doing this and the parents are horrible to allow this". Really I don't see how it is any different than a kid taking up football or baseball or any other sport, I truly believe that a kid training in MMA is developing a much better character, self respect, self discipline, etc than a kid who is playing football. Lets look at it this way, lets say these little kids are grown up now and are in highschool and still training.... are they giving nerds wedgees? Are they acting like assholes to people they consider "unpopular", are they picking on smaller kids? Absolutely not, the martial arts teaches them about respect, you have to respect everyone even the ones that are weaker than you! What about the typical highschool football jock, i'm not saying they are all like this because that's not true but who are the guys that are usually picking on the smaller kids, giving them wedgees or whatever crap they do? It's them right? Not trying to say they are all like this but you have to admit most of the time it's the case, i'm not trying to stereotype but it's just a fact.

But yeah this was my rant lol

Cory

Just Thai clinch them, and knee them in the jaw until their mouth is wired shut. Then suddenly, it will become quiet :)

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

TaNK

I'm all for depending on the level of discipline the kid has and how safe teh protective equipment is. I've garnered a few injuries in MMA and it is all one after another.. I'm Honker, Cory, and Mitch can testify to the level of injuries that MMA gives as well. I played football and all that but MMA is a little bit more harsh.

JohnS.

Consider us Spartans  ;)

Seriously though, let the kids train...why not?

Big Gay Honker

I think they should be allowed to train, but to compete I'm a little more reserved.  Recently there was a local show that had two kids fighting opening the night.  In the first minute, one got floor by a stomach kick.  They had a time out, when the kid got his wind they continued.  For the rest of the fight, he was too scared to do anything, and the red headed devil kid tee'd off on him.  The whole fight was one sided and I think it should have been stopped.  There were moments, but for the most part it is one sided.  When a kid competes I think it should be more closely watched and stopped.  A kid doesn't hit hard in my opinion.  But I'm an adult, and a 4 oz glove feels like a firm fist.  Another kid, wont think it doesn't hurt.

As far as injuries go, I've had lots.  I messed up my right wrist, both elbows, and my right knee needs to be drained here and there.  These are the injuries that have taken months to close to a year, it's amazing how slow tendons heal.  I've also been kicked in the hip, and that is a nerve cluster I never want hit again.  Aside from these and the occasional "glove rub" to the face from sparing, just normal bruising.

Zombie Gunn

I think you'd need different rules for kids.  I mean, do you really want to see an eight year old put somebody in a naked choke or an armbar submission?  For that matter, do you really want to see a kid knocked out through striking.  Maybe, they're better off training them in some other form of martial arts or even wrestling before making the move to a sport like MMA.

TaNK

I agree, I've snapped my ankle, hurt a disc in my back, tore my rotator cuff and those are all within months of each other. The injuries are going to pile up and the kid will be a old man by his 20's.

You're body whether you like it or not is put in control of anothers when grappling, thats how I got my ankle snapped because the other guy was careless.. kids don't have as much as logic or maturity as a full grown adult.

MitchMMA

I don't think they should fight until they are 18, but the news media go crazy just because these kids are training.

It's probably not good for their bodies, they are still growing and stuff. Training is fine but I don't think they should be fighting, they should at least have different rules like Jesse said and they should be wearing headgear.

Cory

18?

Shit. Once the school years starts and I join the Wrestling Team, I want to start fighting by Christmas.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE