News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Where to begin...

Started by Zombie Gunn, August 13, 2008, 12:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Gunn

Alright, I've always wanted to do this stuff.  I wrestled in highschool, and was pretty damn good if I do say so myself.  If I had of started earlier, I think I could have gone farther.  I love the concept of MMA and have always wanted to get involved in something like this, even if just as a hobby.

Here's my question... I'm a little guy.  5'4 and 120 pounds.  If I trained hard, I could probably bulk up... but is it possible to even compete at my size?  I know it would take years and years of training to actually get into a promotion, as their standards are hella high.  And probably even more for the smaller guys.  But, just a thought.

Current stats:
5'4"
120 lbs
I'm 26 years old
Can bench 150
Can curl 45 per arm
Experience in highschool wrestling, but no other martial arts.  I'm sure I would need to learn and probably master a few more styles of fighting before even giving MMA a shot, but hey... you gotta start somewhere.

Also, is it too late to start at my age?

MitchMMA

There is a 120 pound division, I think the lowest is 105 but I am not sure which promotions have these lighter weight classes but I know they exist.

I don't think 26 is too late to start, so long as you aren't in your 40's and just starting. Wrestling is a great base to have, most wrestlers are usually very succesful in MMA (ie: Josh Koscheck, Brock Lesnar, Jon Fitch, Matt Hughes, etc). I'd suggest you start training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and/or Judo for your ground game and boxing and muay thai for your stand up.

Khristian Call

MMA is one of those things where its never really too late to start.  The weight classes aren't very popular in the States, however, the two closest ones if you bulked up with your height would probably be Bantamweight (135) or Flyweight (125).  But 26 definitely isn't too late.  I'm 25 and getting back into it next month after a lay off.  Randy Couture's first MMA outing was when he was 33.

Jon Tees

Oddly for the last several years, I’ve had a huge interest in possibly managing MMA or other professional fighters. As a business person/student by trade I feel I could make a good transition into the profession as it relates to setting up fights and negotiating contracts etc and other stuff that managers of fighters would do. But I was never able to figure out how to get my foot in the door as a manager/agent or whatever they are referred to as it relates to the representation of Mma fighters. This would indeed be a dream job for me but one that is realistically obtainable due to my knowledge and skills as it relates to general business as a foundation.

Don't Fall For Cheap Imitations And Knock Offs We Are The National Wrestling Federation Period.
http://www.thenationalwrestlingfederation.com

Khristian Call

Go to a few shows, talk to the people who run it, fighters, etc.  Like any business you need to know the basic foundation of just what is you're dealing with.  So yeah, talk to some people, if they're friendly/amicable towards you, maybe go back the next show that comes around, ask more questions.  As I'm sure you know, WHO you know is just as, if not more, important than WHAT you know.

Cory

Not to get off topic, but look for young guys to manage. I know when I start, I'm going to be looking for sponsors like MAD.....so thats one thing you'd need. Negotiating skills, as sadly, you cant go anywhere in this business without a fuck load of sponsors, or a few rich ones.....unless 'daddy' is sitting on some cash.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE