News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

All time XI + VII subs & manager.

Started by Insomnia, August 01, 2011, 05:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insomnia

Quite simple. If you could pick a dream team of players from footballing history, any era's, who would it contain and why? (You don't have to write an essay like me, though..)

--------------Prued'homme---------
Cafú-------Baresi---Passarella (c)--Carlos
----------------Rijkaard-----------------
------Redondo----------Matthaus----
Maradona-----Batistuta----Romário

Subs: Schmeichel, Maldini, Lizerazu, Makelele, Laudrup, Rivaldo, Ronaldo

Manager: V. Del Bosque (Only he could handle all those egos!) or if he's too busy winning world cups then the great Bob Paisley.

Prued'homme - Best goal keeper of '94 in club football and world cup. Best season of goal keeping I've witnessed. Could catch a comet, strong hands, grip, athletic was brilliant in one on one's and could play sweeper keeper if needed.

Cafú - Best right back I've seen. Every bit as good as Carlos if not better in terms of being more consistent and complete. Amazing stamina.

Baresi - An artist at defending, very comfy on the ball - his influence runs throughout the entire team and he also has steel.

Passarella - Integral to Argentina as a leader, fighter and captain. He's the only player to take part in both of Argentina's world cup wins. Even better on the ball than Baresi and a goal threat to boot.

Carlos - Leaving out the likes of Lizerazu and Zambrotta etc is tough, but on his day Carlos was a one man convoy of attacking awesomeness down the left side. Not the best left back ever, but definitely the most exciting and fear inducing.

Rijkaard - He gives you stability, excellent passing range, strength, dribbling and defensive awareness. He can cover, break forward, attack or defend - you name it. A rock of a midfielder.

Redondo - Is he the most complete midfielder ever?? Only my next choice could possibly challenge that and make a stronger claim. Redondo at his peak had everything and I mean EVERYTHING. Ace dribbler, good for the odd goal and a wonderful passing range, he was a vital link in arguably Real Madrid's greatest ever side.

Matthaus - What can you say about Lothar Matthaus?? He's Steven Gerrard crossed with Iniesta and with all the finishing of a top class centre forward and highly imaginative passes to boot. He keeps out the likes of Laudrup, Totti, Rui Costa, Zidane and Zico here because he's so complete and can cover and defend when he needs to should the formation need to switch.

Maradona - Probably the greatest dribbler of the lot, one of the best passers AMAZING set pieces and fantastic team work as well as individual brilliance. Keeps out Cruyff only because he was waaaay more consistent. Also Cruyff's set-pieces were a bit naff compared to other "playmakers". He'd score 40 yard lobbed volleys, shoot and score from corner kicks, bicycle kick accurate crosses and play Alonso-like bending long passes without even looking. Unbelievably exciting player. Savicevic, Djalminha, Garrincha, Gento, Ronaldinho and Mágico Gonzalez were amazing on their day, but their days were far fewer and further between to challenge "El Diego".

Batistuta - The most complete striker ever? I think so. Nobody since has combined such amazing movement, speed, strength, long range and short range finishing, set pieces, heading ability size and ball control to such a devastatingly all-round brilliant effect. Drogba's the closest thing we have today. And just like Didi, Batigol on his day was an absolute fucking nightmare for any team to face. 'Could have thrived in any league he wanted to. He keeps out the likes of Ronaldo mainly because I honestly think he was a goal threat from more positions in the attacking third and also because this team already has enough players who like to dribble.

Romário - If Bati's the most complete attacker ever then Romário's probably the best outright. Maradona like dribbling coupled with even better short to mid range finishing than Batigol himself. Romário scored over 900+ legitimate goals in modern day football and almost every single one of them was special. A master of mazy solo dribbles, one two's, rabona passes, audacious lobs and one-touch volleys Romário fired his way to world player of the year and golden ball winner in '94 taking all the honors at club level and international level as Barcelona won the league and Romário won the world cup. Injury and a falling out with Scolari sadly cost him the chance to appear at another world cup and defend his crown, but for me he's the best striker ever and a perfect partner for Bati. His partnerships with Ronaldo, Bebeto etc were filled with assists and his movement would suit this position well.

(I looked through the first 6 pages and didn't see a topic like this. I am very sorry if there already is one!)

Cory

Starting XI, Subs in brackets.

Manager: Arsene Wenger

GK- Jens Lehman (David Seaman)

LB- Lauren (Gael Clichy)
CB- Sol Campbell (William Gallas)
CB- Kolo Toure (Martin Keown)
RB- Ashley Cole (Thomas Vermaelen)

CDM- Patrick Viera (Ray Parlour / Alex Song)
CM- Gilberto Silva (Cesc Fabregas)
RM- Freddie Ljungberg (Theo Walcott)
LM- Robert Pires (Andrei Arshavin / Gervinho)
CAM- Dennis Bergkamp (Samir Nasri)

ST- Thierry Henry (Robin Van Persie)

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Rob

GK: Gordon Banks

DR: Cafu
DL: Paolo Maldini
DC: Bobby Moore
DC: Franz Beckenbauer

MR: George Best
ML: Johann Cruyff
MC: Alfredo di Stefano
MC: Bobby Charlton

S: Pelé
S: Ferenc Puskas

Manager: Brian Clough

Subs: Peter Schmeichel, Franco Baresi, Phil Neal, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Zidane, Maradonna

reasons why - because they are amongst the best and most successful.
SixersEagles

[/center]

Insomnia

Quote from: Cory on August 02, 2011, 01:39:09 AM
Starting XI, Subs in brackets.

Manager: Arsene Wenger

GK- Jens Lehman (David Seaman)

LB- Lauren (Gael Clichy)
CB- Sol Campbell (William Gallas)
CB- Kolo Toure (Martin Keown)
RB- Ashley Cole (Thomas Vermaelen)

CDM- Patrick Viera (Ray Parlour / Alex Song)
CM- Gilberto Silva (Cesc Fabregas)
RM- Freddie Ljungberg (Theo Walcott)
LM- Robert Pires (Andrei Arshavin / Gervinho)
CAM- Dennis Bergkamp (Samir Nasri)

ST- Thierry Henry (Robin Van Persie)

Bah.. That team would never win anything!! :P  Thierry Henry isn't even a striker! http://archive.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/anr.features17.html

Cory

Rob

I'm shocked both of you passed over di Stefano, Pele, Puskas, Charlton, Cruyff and Best...
SixersEagles

[/center]

Flins.

Som likes his South Americans  ;D

And pretty sure Cory's is a joke... at least, I hope it is.

Insomnia

Quote from: Rob on August 02, 2011, 04:51:10 PM
I'm shocked both of you passed over di Stefano, Pele, Puskas, Charlton, Cruyff and Best...

If you added Di Stefano, Charlton, Puskas & Best into one single player than you MIGHT end up someone that comes even slightly close to the awesomeness that was/is Lothar Matthaus. :D

Cory - read that link and you'll get the joke. :D

Cory

Lol

and No joke.

Arsenal before Wenger fucked up.....

....Id say Viera/Bergkamp/Henry would make my real XI

Rob

Redondo, Romario, Batistuta.... shocking
SixersEagles

[/center]

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

MANAGER: Sir Alex Ferguson
ASSISTANT MANAGER: Sir Matt Busbey
WATER BOY: Arsene Wenger
ASSISTANT WATER BOY: Kevin Keegan
JOCK STRAP HOLDER:  Kenny Dalgleish

GK Peter Schmeichel

RB Cafu
CB Bobby Moore
CB Franz Beckenbauer
LB Paolo Maldini

LW Georgie Best
CM Roy Keane
CM Diego Maradona
RW Stanley Matthews

ST Bobby Charlton
ST Pele

SUBS:

GK Lev Yashin
RB Javier Zanetti
CB Franco Baresi
CB Lothar Matthäus
LB Roberto Carlos

MR Garrincha
MC Ferenc Purczeld
MC Zico
ML Johan Cryuff

FW Eusebio
FW George Weah

Cory your team isn't even an Arsenal best XI lmao...FAIL!
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Kirk

I think this would be one of the most entertaining teams (both on and off the pitch) but one of the hardest to manage.

MANAGER: Sir Alex Ferguson

GK Peter Schmeichel

RB Cafu
CB Nemanja Vidic
CB Fabio Cannavaro
LB Paolo Maldini

LW George Best
CM Roy Keane
CM Gazza
RW Christiano Ronaldo

ST Eric Cantona
ST Fat Ronaldo (before he got fat)

SUBS: Gianluigi Buffon, Dennis Irwin, Bobbie Moore, David Ginola, Johan Cryuff, Zinedine Zidane, Diego Maradona

Reason: "When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea"
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Cory

Quote from: Potato Hater on August 03, 2011, 07:04:26 AM
Cory your team isn't even an Arsenal best XI lmao...FAIL!

Lol. its not supposed to be. Its the 03-04 squad that went undefeated (The Invincibles as I've said like, 2 times in this thread), with whoever I could quickly put on the bench. Reading FAIL

Cory

REAL TEAM:

Manager: Jose Mourinho

GK- Peter Schmeicel (Gianluigi Buffon)

LCB- Franz Beckenbauer (Paolo Maldini)
CB- Lucio (Fabio Cannavaro)
RCB- Roberto Carlos (Bobby Moore)

CDM- Patrick Viera (Lothar Mattaus)
CM- Roy Keane (Claude Makelele)
RW- Leonel Messi (Luis Figo)
LW- Christiano Ronaldo (George Best)
CAM- Zinedine Zidane (Diego Maradona)

ST- Pele (Gerd Muller)
ST- Thierry Henry (Ferenc Puskas/Dennis Bergkamp)

Rob

Ian is the only person I can even come close to agreeing with on his first 11...
SixersEagles

[/center]