News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

All time XI + VII subs & manager.

Started by Insomnia, August 01, 2011, 05:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insomnia

Quote from: Rob on August 03, 2011, 02:15:38 AM
Redondo, Romario, Batistuta.... shocking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95K5gccsN4Y&feature=related

He's crap. :D

Nah, seriously, though - you could offer me any striker from any era and I'd have him over them every time. And so would Diego Maradona, Pep Guardiola and Michael Laudrup so I'm not totally alone in my insanity. :)

As for Bati?? Well.. he refused to play for huge clubs so it's not fair to punish him for not winning many big trophies, I don't think. His NT strike rate was something like 56 goals in 78 games (What more can you do to win but transform into 10 other players?) and he even shushed the nou camp and actually made them shut up for a few minutes. :D I want that kind of influence in my forward line!! Gah... the guy could score from 3 yards or 30 like it made no difference whatsoever from the most impossible angles and he was loyal so you can guarantee he wouldn't be sodding off in 3 years. Stayed at Fiorentina when they got relegated and the fans even built a statue in his honor. When he finally won Serie A it was in his first season with Roma and he only went there on the fans blessing. When he finally lifted that trophy it was one of the most beautiful moments I've witnessed in football.

Shame about Redondo really... he got injured in the middle of his peak and it was just before medical science started to take massive leaps forward in football. What AC learned from the injury is a big part of what went into the MilanLab that's around today and it's such a shame because when he went there he was unplayable in midfield, a genius, world at his feet and was winning European cups for fun with Real Madrid. Absolutely tanked United's dream midfield in 97/98. They simply didn't know what had hit them. :D But then in one instant it seemed to be over. He could never cover that type of ground again and that was a big part of his game as well as accurate passes, pacy dribbling, vision and stamina. Staunch Real fans and Fabio Capello will tell you they once had a perfect player, but the name won't be "Alfredo Di Stefano", nor Zidane. :D

But it's all opinions.. I think on one day your team would hammer mine, then the next mine would hammer yours. I don't think either team shocking, though.... :P Just different. I think they're all worthy shouts.

Unrelated note - but between 1928 & 1955 Josef Bican scored over 3,000 professional goals and at his peak could "apparently" run 100 meters on grass in boots in 10 seconds flat. :) Never gets any credit though!

Flins.

Dixie Dean was once said to have scored a header from the half way line, and it's been reported he used to strengthen his neck muscles by heading medicine balls whilst training. This is the kind of reasoning for having people in your team >_>

Plus he scored like 60 goals in one season...

Cory

Also, Matthew Le Tissier would be in my midfield. The king of the dipper.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Cory on August 03, 2011, 01:31:18 PM
Lol. its not supposed to be. Its the 03-04 squad that went undefeated (The Invincibles as I've said like, 2 times in this thread), with whoever I could quickly put on the bench. Reading FAIL

Way to make a thread suck balls.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Insomnia

Quote from: Flins. on August 03, 2011, 04:17:08 PM
Dixie Dean was once said to have scored a header from the half way line, and it's been reported he used to strengthen his neck muscles by heading medicine balls whilst training. This is the kind of reasoning for having people in your team >_>

Plus he scored like 60 goals in one season...

Bican wasn't in my team. :) I was making fun of the crap they come up with. These players are made out to be superhuman but we never saw their flaws did we?? That's why I like the players in my team. :)

There was once a player who allegedly scored a hat trick with a broken neck. :)

Jerry McClean

Quote from: Insomnia on August 03, 2011, 07:04:46 PM
Bican wasn't in my team. :) I was making fun of the crap they come up with. These players are made out to be superhuman but we never saw their flaws did we?? That's why I like the players in my team. :)

There was once a player who allegedly scored a hat trick with a broken neck. :)

Kurt Angle played a bit of football before he went for wrestling? >_>

Insomnia

Yeah. He played up front with Mike "I BROKE MAH BACK!!" Tyson. :D

Dorling

Things like this will always be crazy subjective but I do find it funny that people are always like 'what about Puskas/Pele/Eusebio etc when nobody that replied to this thread is goin to be old enough to have observed ANY of these players consistently. We've just read the stats and seen the best bits, hence I will be picking a team of players that I have watched many times and can remember clearly. So nobody pre 1989 for me, because I simply can't remember.

GK - David Seaman - Simply brilliant on his day and as an Arsenal fan I have great memories. Also, rocked at penalties.

RB - Cafu - An incredible athlete up to a ripe old age of 36 and integral to a great Brazilian team.

CB - Lothar Matthaus - I'm gutted I only saw the tail end of his career but his ability on and off the ball was incredible.

CB - Tony Adams - Maybe slightly biased here but if you look up the definition of 'Leader' in the dictionary there should be a picture of this man.

LB - Paolo Maldini - Mega loyal, mega talented and all round brilliant defender. Thanks to the aforementioned Milan lab, played to the age of 40.

RM - Cristiano Ronaldo - Hate the guy but I would love him in an Arsenal shirt. Basically scored 100 goals in two seasons. Brilliant skill and a great physical specimen. Incredibly strong, fast, and great in the air.

CM - Patrick Vieira - In his prime he was without a doubt the man you'd want in front of the back four. Great stamina, pace and strength meant he also got his share of goals too.

CM - Zinedi - So, World Cup, European Championship, Champions League, Domestic League and Cup. Amazing close control and range of passing, combined with strength and aerial power. Absolute legend.

LM - Ryan Giggs - Has played in the Premier League since it's inception. Still a threat due to his great footballing intelligence and, despite losing some pace remains deceptively quick. Has a stack of trophies that nobody can compare to.

CF - Eric Cantona - Genius. Again, would rather he pulled on the Arsenal shirt but if you boot a Palace fan in the face you score some brownie points with me.

ST - Ronaldo - Yes he got fat as he got old, but he is the leading scorer in World Cup history and was absolutely unplayable at his peak. He was phenomenal.

Subs:

GK - Peter Schmeichel
RB - Javier Zanetti
CB- Lucio
CB - Matthias Sammer
LB - Stuart Pearce
RM - Clarence Seedorf
CM - Matt Le Tissier
CM - Xavi
LM - Lionel Messi
CF - Dennis Bergkamp
ST - Roberto Baggio

Also, the comedy 11:

GK: Massimo Taibi
RB: Gary Penrice
CB: Steve Potts
CB: Igor Stepanovs
LB: Rufus Brevett
RM: Darren Caskey
CM: Carlton Palmer
CM: John Jensen
LM: Andy Sinton
ST: Mikkel Beck
ST: Ade Akinbiyi

Drama Queen

Mine is completely subjective (as in totally biased) and I won't even bother to attempt to hide the fact.

Pat Jennings - Before The Republic got the hang of international soccer every Irishman latched on to the six counties that should be a part of us anyway.

Jurgen Kohler - This guy was an animal and almost single-handedly denied Man U a place in the Euro final years ago. As an avid A.B.U. at the time he won a place in my heart.

Jack Charlton - I don't care that he wasn't as good as his brother on the field... he brought Ireland to the world scene as a manager, and it's good enough for me.

Ooh, ahh, Paul McGrath, say ooh, ahh, Paul McGrath! - Was best defender in the world at one point even beyond my biasedness. And that chant was created for him, long before Cantona!

Martin Laursen - Nobody and I mean nobody ever got me more fantasy league points. Defender who comes up for corners, takes free kicks and penalties, a fucking goldmine!

Ray Houghton - The 90 minute man, never said die. Just ask the English and the Italians!

George Best - was once spotted in a hotel room with Miss World, flooded with champaigne and money. His achievements on the field were quite notable too.

Roberto Baggio - I actually copied his hairstyle in the 90's and it got me laid! God bless him and Buddha bless him too!

Liam Brady - Although he may get into a fight with Jack Charlton and destroy the team harmony!

Roger Milla - I had always been following African progress in World Cups, and he finally gave me something to cheer about!

Pele - His spectacular overhead bicycle kick goal against the Nazi's helped Micheal Caine and Slyvester Stallone escape from a POW Camp!

Cory

Quote from: Dorling on August 04, 2011, 06:29:56 PM
Things like this will always be crazy subjective but I do find it funny that people are always like 'what about Puskas/Pele/Eusebio etc when nobody that replied to this thread is goin to be old enough to have observed ANY of these players consistently. We've just read the stats and seen the best bits, hence I will be picking a team of players that I have watched many times and can remember clearly. So nobody pre 1989 for me, because I simply can't remember.

GK - David Seaman - Simply brilliant on his day and as an Arsenal fan I have great memories. Also, rocked at penalties.

RB - Cafu - An incredible athlete up to a ripe old age of 36 and integral to a great Brazilian team.

CB - Lothar Matthaus - I'm gutted I only saw the tail end of his career but his ability on and off the ball was incredible.

CB - Tony Adams - Maybe slightly biased here but if you look up the definition of 'Leader' in the dictionary there should be a picture of this man.

LB - Paolo Maldini - Mega loyal, mega talented and all round brilliant defender. Thanks to the aforementioned Milan lab, played to the age of 40.

RM - Cristiano Ronaldo - Hate the guy but I would love him in an Arsenal shirt. Basically scored 100 goals in two seasons. Brilliant skill and a great physical specimen. Incredibly strong, fast, and great in the air.

CM - Patrick Vieira - In his prime he was without a doubt the man you'd want in front of the back four. Great stamina, pace and strength meant he also got his share of goals too.

CM - Zinedi - So, World Cup, European Championship, Champions League, Domestic League and Cup. Amazing close control and range of passing, combined with strength and aerial power. Absolute legend.

LM - Ryan Giggs - Has played in the Premier League since it's inception. Still a threat due to his great footballing intelligence and, despite losing some pace remains deceptively quick. Has a stack of trophies that nobody can compare to.

CF - Eric Cantona - Genius. Again, would rather he pulled on the Arsenal shirt but if you boot a Palace fan in the face you score some brownie points with me.

ST - Ronaldo - Yes he got fat as he got old, but he is the leading scorer in World Cup history and was absolutely unplayable at his peak. He was phenomenal.

Subs:

GK - Peter Schmeichel
RB - Javier Zanetti
CB- Lucio
CB - Matthias Sammer
LB - Stuart Pearce
RM - Clarence Seedorf
CM - Matt Le Tissier
CM - Xavi
LM - Lionel Messi
CF - Dennis Bergkamp
ST - Roberto Baggio

Also, the comedy 11:

GK: Massimo Taibi
RB: Gary Penrice
CB: Steve Potts
CB: Igor Stepanovs
LB: Rufus Brevett
RM: Darren Caskey
CM: Carlton Palmer
CM: John Jensen
LM: Andy Sinton
ST: Mikkel Beck
ST: Ade Akinbiyi

Arsenal fan and no Henry?

*shakes head*

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Jonny Briggs

I'm going to go a different route with my best eleven & give the best players I've ever seen live.

GK - Brad Friedel (seen for & vs Blackburn) - I've always said that a good goalkeeper is worth at least 15 points a season. In the 07/08 season we finished 7th on 58 points, the next season we dropped to 15th with 41 points. Friedel was immense.

CB - Lothar Matthaus (seen vs N. Ireland) - One of the first superstar's I ever saw & he was really good at that sweeper role.

CB - Richard Gough (seen for Rangers) - 9 in a row. Gave his all ever time.

LB - Bixente Lizarazu (seen vs N. Ireland) - Suprisingly quick & got back into a defensive position instantly. Kept us contained well.

RB - Aaron Hughes (seen for N. Ireland) - Over the years I've seen some world class defenders including quite a few European & World Cup winners but Aaron Hughes is the best I've seen. Not Puyol, not Ferdinand, not Desailly but little old Aaron & his die hard commitment.

CM - Xavi (seen vs N. Ireland) - Picked out some amazing passes, skill just hanging out of him

CM - Steven Davis (seen for N. Ireland & Rangers) - The wee lad has skill to burn & is never afraid to stick the foot in. Heart & soul.

LW - Ryan Giggs (seen vs N. Ireland) - In my opinion Giggs is the best player in Premiership history & absolutely tore us apart in Belfast during the 2006 qualifiers & if he'd played in Cardiff with that cheating bastard referee they've killed us that day too.

RW - Brian Laudrup (seen for Rangers) - World class winger who was clearly much better than virtually everyone else in the SPL at the time. I know he played most of his Rangers career on the left but fuck you, it's my team!

CF - David Healy (seen for N. Ireland) - How many people could say that they scored a hat-trick against Spain? Remember that this was pretty much the World Cup winning team & he was playing for wee Norn Iron! When he lobbed Casillas for the 3rd I swear to this day that time slowed down. I went to that match with my dad & we still talk about that match to this day.

CF - Eidur Gudjohnsen (seen vs N. Ireland) - The single best player I've ever seen live. That day he was simply unplayable. Iceland beat us 3-0 that day & we were the better team! Just every time the ball came to Gudjohnsen he just pulled a bit of magic out & they'd score. He was so good that when he was walking past the Kop after the match he got a standing ovation, rare for an opposition player.

FXBlade

Again, gone for people that I know of rather than what I have heard

GK - Peter Schmeichel
LB - Paolo Maldini
RB - Cafu
CB - Matthias Sammer
CB - Fabio Cannavaro
RM - Luis Figo
LM -  Ryan Giggs
CM - Roy Keane
CM - Zinedine Zidane
AM/S - Eric Cantona
S - Ronaldo

Insomnia

Some brilliant shouts. It's very heartening to see players like Baggio, Lizerazu, Dennis Bergkamp and particularly Matthaus (still amazing even in his twilight) mentioned consistently. I think Dorling's argument about seeing players consistently enough is bang on also.  It's always going to be tough. So many players I'd like to include, like Henry, Bergkamp, Dalglish, Kubala, Ronaldo, Beckenbaur, Platini, Zico, Djalminha, Falcao, Nedved, Figo and Cruijff, but there's only so many spaces...

I think Dennis was the hardest for me to leave out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKfVOjiKdfs&fmt=18

Not because I think he was better than Cruijff/Zico etc, but purely because he was so BEAUTIFUL to watch!! I honestly think at times he was just as majestic as Zidane, if not an even bigger goals and assists threat!!!

Shame he was so scared of flying.

FXBlade

Mine was a toss up between Bergkamp and Cantona.  King Eric just edged it, and Im not even a UTD fan.

Fair play to the person that said Paul McGrath though (He gets a chant at every Villa Game!!!)

EDIT!!!

Oh it was DQ...

Paul McGrath ma lord, Paul McGrath.. Its your round ma lord... PAUL MCGRATH!!