News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

Americas as one?

Started by Drama Queen, November 19, 2011, 12:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drama Queen

Many of my workmates feel that the USA and Mexico have a much to easy route to the World Cup each time, whilst statistically South America get almost 50% of their teams through!

The suggestion is to make the Americas one qualifying zone. What's everyone's thoughts?

Personally I would be stoked to see USA play in a meaningful game with quality opposition especially if it was in New York! However, I would be disappointed if we did not qualify of course.

Selfish reasoning aside I think overall it would be a good move. (And have Oceana amalgamate with Asia while we're at it!)

Rob

To be honest, I see why it would make sense, but during each qualifying the best teams are picked via playing each other... If the other North American teams aren't good enough to go through or the other 50% of the South American teams, then combining the America's won't really change that. It would probably still be the same nations going through...
SixersEagles

[/center]

Drama Queen

Quote from: Rob on November 19, 2011, 04:13:27 PM
To be honest, I see why it would make sense, but during each qualifying the best teams are picked via playing each other... If the other North American teams aren't good enough to go through or the other 50% of the South American teams, then combining the America's won't really change that. It would probably still be the same nations going through...

Actually I imagine at least one more South American team going through instead of the 3rd place Concacaf such as Costa Rica, Honduras or Jamaica for example. Though at least the South American teams would be more justified in going through in this scenario (as anally retentive as my reasoning is...lol)

Personally I don't think it will happen because FIFA seem to have a dogged determination to make the game catch on here in the States (because of some delusion that there's money here or something, no doubt) so I don't think they will ever put the USA's easy path to the finals in jeapardy. Soccer receives a big boost here every four years, last year in particular. If we missed out on a World Cup it would be a big set-back to the sport's popularity here and as I said, FIFA seem to want to avoid that at all costs.