Main Menu

2012 EPL Thread

Started by Cory, August 18, 2012, 12:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

And the legend of Marco Negri
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

Cory

Im piss poor with my geography....but if all goes well I'll land another footy tryout later in the Fall. My good friend just finished practicing with the Motherwell U20s and if my birthday is late enough I should be able to snag a tryout. Here in Canada the deadline is October and if you turned 20 before you can play at said level. Still need a few things to fall in place, but seems like you guys could help me out.

Is Motherwell based far out from Glasgow? I assume theres not a city named Motherwell..... Usually these things are two weeks or less, especially for international based on my previous experience with the Man U soccer school as well as Newcastle's (I was at each 2 weeks a piece in 2009). Id love to catch either a Celtic or Rangers game, seems like a Rangers game would be easier on my wallet. That and the Guinness brewery are high up on my list.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Dorling

Motherwell is less than 20 miles from Glasgow if my memory serves correct, sure it was mentioned when I studied new towns in Geography, so yeah, it is a real place mate.

Cory

Damn not bad at all, won't be too much in Cab fare,

Duckman

Yeah it's one of those places outside Glasgow that pretends it's not part of Glasgow, but it really is. 

The problem with Rangers Dorling was those big name players.  David Murray used an elaborate tax avoidance scheme to pay those guys in 'loans' which weren't taxable.  Problem being they never paid them back and no repayment terms were agreed - making them legally not a loan.

He even paid himself £1 million in loans from the scheme.

When the tax man looked into it, turned out the liability could run into £100 million plus as they'd been doing it for ten years.

Murray was famous for saying, "for every £5 Celtic spend, we'll spend £10."  But what he really meant was "for every £5 Celtic spend, we'll borrow a fuck load from the bank, then borrow from another bank to pay that debt off, while at the same time cheating the tax system to pay wages we could not afford if done through the normal channels."

It's just taken this long for the tax man to get round to investigating it.

When Murray sold the club for £1 to Craig Whyte (the dodgy fake billionaire) it was on the understanding he'd have no tax liability in the future.  Whyte agreed.  Then took tax and national insurance from the players and staff, filtered that off to fund his own companies.  Then when the tax man came looking for about £9 million in PAYE in NI payments.  He put the club into administration as they couldn't pay that debt.

He called that 'the wee tax case' while the Murray one was 'the big tax case.'

In the end the old club was liquidated and with it all previous liablities on tax and other debts.  A new co was formed but had to re register with the SFA and start life in Division 3.

Anyway, I'll stop highjacking this thread with Rangers shite.  I've been hearing it all year, doubt you guys want to read about it all the time here.

And yes Ian, Marco Negri was amazing.  40 something goals in one season.  Then got hit in the eye with a squash ball and ever played for us again...seriously.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Dorling

Negri had a ridiculous year, he scored at least 30 of those goals before Christmas before it all went tits up and he went back to Italy in a paddy. I remember it well!

The Stonewall

As I do keep up with the game...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ronaldo-returning-manchester-united-fans-031400347--mls.html

Thoughts on Sir Alex trying to get Ronaldo back, no matter what the cost?

Rob.B

The Stonewall

I agree.  He's got a hefty contract with Real Madrid...  I don't see the Glazers forking over that much for him, either.  But then, we have been wrong before with American owners with disposable incomes.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

I think its a load of bollocks. Plus I am not sure I'd want him back at Old Trafford. Far too much of a Diva. United need to strengthen in different areas.
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

The Stonewall

They honestly do, Trumpers.  But the problem is...  Sir Alex seems to "want" him.  And hell, coming off a year were Cit-eh won the EPL...  You know United is in that panic mode.

The Stonewall

And a statement from David Cameron about the Bishop of Liverpool's "Hillsborough Distaster" report.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/david-camerons-statement-hillsborough-disaster-full-text

While not relevant to this season, it's probably going to re-open more wounds in Liverpool...

Cory

Arsenal want to try and ink Drogba.....this would make me very happy, considering the year he had last season.

Rob.B

Quote from: The Stonewall on September 12, 2012, 08:12:14 AM
They honestly do, Trumpers.  But the problem is...  Sir Alex seems to "want" him.  And hell, coming off a year were Cit-eh won the EPL...  You know United is in that panic mode.

Ronaldo would cost at least £100 Million + after the time he's had at Madrid, not to mention he's looking for £12 Million per year AFTER tax. There's no way United could afford him.

FXBlade

Quote from: Cory on September 12, 2012, 12:35:02 PM
Arsenal want to try and ink Drogba.....this would make me very happy, considering the year he had last season.

No chance.