News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

**Please VOTE! [tiebreaker]** Footy Draft Game Final Teams

Started by Cory, June 19, 2010, 05:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Please vote for one team, the top 3 teams who tied in the initial vote.

Duckman's Team

GK:  Edwin Van Der Sar
DR: Micah Richards
CD: Franz Beckenbauer
CD: Paulo Maldini
DL: Patrice Evra
MR: Eden Hazard
MC: Wesley Sneijder
MC: Mark Van Bommel
ML: Jairzinho
ST: Fernando Torres
ST: David Villa

A world class goalkeeper who has performed at the highest level for nearly 2 decades and continues to do so.

Two absolute defensive legends at the heart of the defend.  Both icons of world football.  Two of the quiest and most exciting young full backs in the world today.

A total football Dutch central midfield with two of this year's Champions League finalists at the heart of the team.  A ball winner and a flair player to link to the forward line.  One of the greatest players of the Brazil 1970 World Cup winning side and the top scorer in that tournament on one wing.  On the other, the Belgian teenage sensation who has been likened to Lionel Messi in this year - one of the top attacking prospects in all of Europe.

Up front?  Simply the best striking partnership in international football today.  The two men who's goals took Spain to the European Championships title in 2008.  In Torres an almost unstoppable, quick, powerful and skillful centre forward.  A man who you can build a team around and a man who will score goals, lots and lots of very, very good goals!

In David Villa a man who is second in Spain's all time top scorer list behind the great Raul.  Statistics (based on goal importance and the tournament they were scored in) demonstrate Villa to be the most prolific goalscorer in the world between 2005â€"2009, seeing the back of the net over 156 times.  A man who will be a leading light at the World Cup this year and his recent 35 million Euro move to Barcelona only highlights his incredible talent and value to his team.

------------------------------------------

Corys's Team

Studmuffins FC

GK- Oliver Kahn (1997-2002)
LB- Maicon
CB- Nevan Subotic
CB- Walter Samuel
RB- Michel Bastos

BACKLINE
-- So you take the greatest german keeper of all time. The only keeper to win the Golden Ball (2002 World Cup best player), not to mention 4 consecutive UEFA Best Goalkeeper Awards, 2 German footballer of the year awards, 8 German championships, and one Champions League title, Oliver Kahn isn't just one of the best keepers ever, he also knows how to win and play under that 'big game pressure'.

Then my 2 wing backs, you have the best current Left-Back in the world is Maicon, a player who netted 6 Goals for Inter in 09-10, and aside from his offensive side, hes a total shutdown wing back for both Inter and Brazil. His partner is a fellow Brazillian in Lyons Michel Bastos, who is easily the most offensive wing back in the world today. A man who can play winger, he netted 15 goals for Lyon in 09-10...yes 15, and his speed and raw power should also be mentioned, along with his sick set pieces.

Then in the middle of the two, we have Nevan Subotic, who is the best CB prospect in the world, at just 20 years old, this 6'4" netted 7 goals in 09-10 in the Bundislegia, and looks to start for Serbia in the World Cup. Many have compared him to his Serbia counterpart Vidic. Then finishing out my backline, the most powerful defender in the world today. Walter Samuel is a fucking rock, he can bully any striker you put in front of him and take them completely out of the game, he has flawless tackling, and is a very smart player. Netting 4 goals in 09-10, he can contribute on offense, but coming off the 09-10 season, Samuel was on almost everyone's Team of the Year.

CM- Roy Keane (C) (1997-2003)
CM- Patrick Viera (1997-2004)
LW- Lionel Messi
RW- Franck Ribery
CAM- Zinedine Zidane (1998-2004)

MIDFIELD
-- In the middle of the park, you're not going to get any balls through my middle, maybe not even be walking properly afterwards. The partnership of Roy Keane and Patrick Viera, both circa 1997-2003, would fear any player. Both were ruthless tacklers and leaders. Keane has excellent ball control and could play the play up to the wingers from the backline, and Viera would win everything in the air....EVERYTHING. They both can put the ball into the back of the net Keane (57), Viera (47) but they're just going to hold on my team, and stop everyone else s attack.

Then without a doubt I have the best wingers. Messi and Ribery, both who are top 5 players in the world, both are almost unmarkable. Do I even need to explain how good these two players are? Ribery is an absloute playmaker, making everyone around him better. He has like 20+ assists in his last 3 seasons with Bayern Munich, and Messi is the best player in the world at the moment. Messi scored 47 goals in 09-10, 38 Goals in 08-09. There isn't a better player on the planet today, nuff said. Once were dont beating you up in the middle, well feed the ball out to the wings and let them do the damage.

Oh yeah, aside from the 47 goal scorer, we have arguable the greatest footballer of all time, Zinedine Zidane. Yet another player who I dont think needs any summary of how good he is. Hes won a world cup, a euro cup, champions league, the only 3 time Fifa Player of the Year. His ball control, touch, vision, and finishing were unmatched, and him combined with Messi and Ribery, is game over. He also has a pretty mean headbutt.

ST- Didier Drogba

FORWARD
-- Finally, we come to the defintion of a power striker. If you not english bias, Drogba was the best player in the premier league in 09-10 with 29 goals winning the golden boot in the EPL, not Rooney. Drogba netted 37 goals in total in 09-10, and is consistanly a top 5 striker in the world. His power is unmatched, and hes a deadly threat in the air. Drogba combined with my attacking mids will beat any team. If you're too busy covering the relentless pace on my wingers, they're just feed the ball into Drogba to finish.

------------------------------------------

Speedys Team

GK - Lev Yashin

- Voted best goalie of the 20th century and probably has more than a shout at best goalkeeper ever. Hell, the award for best goalie of the world cup is named after this guy. Named in multiple all time dream teams and has 150 penalty saves to his name. Honestly, Yashin's accolades are as long as my arm. I'm just gonna stop here and say with the Black Spider in goal, any other team is going to have a lot of trouble scoring.

DR - Javier Zanetti
DC - Souleymane Diawara
DC - Carles Puyol
DL - Philipp Lahm

- Especially with a defence like this one. The most capped player in the history of Argentina and although he's getting on a bit, Zanetti is still capable of starting for Inter, making him an asset at the back and going forward. Similarly, Lahm can make those runs down the left, getting the ball forward but fully capable of contributing in the defence. Centrally we've got... some French guy I know nothing about except that he was in the Ligue 1 team of the year and plays for the double winners Marseille, so he can't be too shite. Annd Carles Puyol - named multiple times as the best European centre back, captain of Barca and an overall defensive rock. This back four has plenty of support for the offence, as well as having players capable of tightening things up and weathering the storm if necessary.

MR - Stanley Matthews
MC - Frank Lampard
MC - Xavi
ML - Luka Modric

- This midfield is where we clinch it. Creative masterclass. Frank Lampard in an offensive role will be able to both go for goal himself and pick out killer balls, whilst on the defence is tenacious enough to give a strong contribution there too. Xavi as the key playmaker is amongst the best in the world at that role and in central midfield will be able to more or less run the show. Modric on the wing is another player with considerable ability to pick a pass and make runs if necessary. Stanley Matthews on the opposite side, well... one of the best players ever, a class dribbler, fully capable of running just about any fullback ragged if he needs to. Nuff said.

FC - Ferenc Puskas
FC - Thomas Müller

- Müller, although currently still young, has proven he's capable of finding the net for Bayern Munich and is at least in the provisional squad for Germany this world cup. However let's make no bones about it, we all know that the guy who'll be banging in the goals is Puskas. Amongst the top scorers of the 20th century: 515 goals in 533 club games, 84 goals in 85 internationals. With Puskas up front, once he gets the ball, you know that it's more than likely going to end up in the net.

The team will definitely have an attacking mentality, with the build more than likely coming from midfield and the flair of the four players in there. Still, there's the option of a counter attack from defence, which both Lahm and Zanetti are capable of initiating, but really, the objective is to work something from midfield, getting it forward whether through dribbling or a simple passing play, and from there up to the strikeforce. And hey, with the concentration on Puskas, Müller might be able to sneak one in, lol. Certainly they'll both have plenty being created for them, it's just down to whether they can take advantage.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE

Jennifer

For Duckers I voted initially and for Duckers I will be voting again.

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

Rob

Sticking with Speedy. Don't know what it is, but I want to see that team play so much more than the other two, not that they aren't great
SixersEagles

[/center]

Kirk

" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Jennifer

Quote from: Mike Flips"Certainly officer...but first, we have two men here trespassing. Also I was assaulted moments ago by a man who might have had a sister I might have had sex with. Can we please arrest said man for Disturbing The Peace-opoly or something..."

The Dudester

Maybe Im clueless... but where are guys like Van Basten? Gullitt? Cryuff? Baggio?

Jennifer

Picks were themed, so we didn't exactly have the opportunity to always choose all stars from the past.

Plus this is just three of the teams cause it's a tiebreaker. Remember there were like, eight to start with.

Duckman

It was a draft mate.  Check the main thread to see the themes of each draft round.  You couldn't just pick whoever you wanted.

These are the teams with the most votes that we need to tie break to declare a winner.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Kirk

I have one further question. How is Ian's team not in this tiebreak? Peter Schmeichel, Cristano Ronaldo, George Best, Wayne Rooney & Eric Cantona. Five of the best players to ever kick a football. I think I would have picked almost exactly the same team if I had taken part.

Having said that, I voted for 'Duckman.' Solid defence with attacking fullbacks, a very creative midfield and a devestating strike partnership.
" class="bbc_img

" class="bbc_img

Duckman

Looks like not everyone was major Man U fans like you and Ian.  His team was pretty God damn good though!

Peace

Duckman

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Cory

Well run this to the end of the week. Look like sams taking it.

Cory

Duckman

Yay!!!  I haven't won anything in ages! 

Good game dudes.  We should run another one soon - try and get more folks involved!

I'm just off to do my lap of honour around the pitch.

Peace

Duckman

Jennifer

Nice stuff Sambo, I'll take an honourable second, lol.

- Oh, and big props to you Cory for organising and running this. It was a good 'un.

Cory

so imma say unpin all these topics to remove the clutter in the forum.