News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

Andy Murray - Australian Open (Tennis)

Started by beagrie, January 28, 2011, 05:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagrie

So, it's his third Grand Slam Final, his second Australian Open final in a row, and the first Grand Slam Final where he won't be facing Federer.

Does anyone think he can do it?

I really, REALLY want him to win it, but I just can't see it happening. He just seems to have a habit of crumbling in the finals. His previous two Grand Slam final losses were as much his not playing his best as they were Federer's brilliance, and we know he can beat Federer - he has a 7-6 record over him - but he never came close in the slams. I'm worried that, now, the pressure of winning that first slam has gotten too much for him, and that the fact that he has a more beatable (arguably) opponent this time will only make that worse.

Any tennis fans? What do you think?

Kenfucius

Djokovic is, other than Nadal, the only player in professional Tennis who Andy Murray has lost to more times than he's beaten.

That said, Murray has beaten him the last three times in a row, the last two being in ATP Masters finals (Cincinnati '08, and Miami '09)

Incidentally, Cincinnati was his first Masters title win, and those two matches are the only two in which they've played against each other in a tournament final.

I think it's a tight one, Djokovic has been easily the best player at the Aussie Open this year, but Murray, particularly in the last couple of matches, has been very gritty and mentally strong to win without playing his best stuff.

Hard one to call, I hope Murray can pull it out, though.

beagrie

Well, at the time of writing this, it's 6-4 1-0 to Djokovic, and Murray doesn't even look close! He's leaving balls in the middle of the court, hitting unforced errors just looks out of it. Djokovic is playing great, but I would almost attribute the score to Murray's playing badly!

I'm going to make a long term prediction; if Murray doesn't win this Slam - his best chance yet - then he won't win one period. Or, if he does, it will be a shock win as a wildcard at the tail end of his career.

In the time I was writing this, Djokovic broke to go 2-0 in the second set. Not good.

Jerry McClean

Someone told me that Murray is the first person in the Open era to lose his first three grand slams. And is also the first person to not win a single set in three grand slam finals.

Still, at least he got that far. Most successful British player for quite a while now and he can still improve.

Ian "Wolfie" Trumps

Quote from: Jerry McClean on January 30, 2011, 10:00:44 AM
Someone told me that Murray is the first person in the Open era to lose his first three grand slams. And is also the first person to not win a single set in three grand slam finals.

Still, at least he got that far. Most successful British player for quite a while now and he can still improve.

If he wins he is a British Hero

if he loses he is a stupid Scottish cunt
'Check out MFX - www.mfxpodcast.com'

beagrie

The whole "first person to..." is what's killing him. Every year (except last year) he's gotten better and better, and adding the belief that he could actually do it to the pressure being potentially the only British Hero/Scottish Cunt to win a slam for 75 years is crippling him in the big games.

He lost as much that match, and last years final to Federer, as much through his own cock ups as he did to his opponent's brilliance.

Maybe if we accept that he won't win a slam, and start looking to the next big British tennis player, the pressure will be off of him and he'll actually win one.

Duckman

The number 1 and 2 guys were out, the number 3 guy won.

It's not a shock Murray didn't win this, only a shock to asshole tabloid hacks who are trying to hype him up to be able to knock him down when he doesn't win a Grand Slam.

The guy is at the start of his career.  Has done more than any other UK tennish player in years but still gets shit.

I wish people would just let the guy get on with his career instead of adding all this pressure to him, just so they can write about how he failed.

Peace

Duckman
Check out the MFX Podcast today!  http://www.marksforxcellence.com/?cat=1

Subscribe to MFX via Stitcher or Itunes.  Just search: Marks for Xcellence Podcast.

Mike Storm

Didn't anyone else think as soon as the first set was over, that the whole match was over? Andy was frustrated at himself like nothing else and displayed absolutely no confidence on the court. He was never going to win. This is disappointing because just about everyone wanted him to win it. I would LOVE to see Murray win his first grand slam at wimbledon in front of his home nation.

Jerry McClean

Quote from: Beagrie on January 30, 2011, 04:42:11 PM
The whole "first person to..." is what's killing him. Every year (except last year) he's gotten better and better, and adding the belief that he could actually do it to the pressure being potentially the only British Hero/Scottish Cunt to win a slam for 75 years is crippling him in the big games.

He lost as much that match, and last years final to Federer, as much through his own cock ups as he did to his opponent's brilliance.

Maybe if we accept that he won't win a slam, and start looking to the next big British tennis player, the pressure will be off of him and he'll actually win one.

We'd need to get one first...

Although I agree it would help take a lot of the pressure of Murray and perhaps allow him to be a British Hero more instead of Scottish Cunt >.>