News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The Sound of Animals Fighting

Started by Tim-Æ, September 04, 2008, 10:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

Okay....

The name of this band is retarded, I'll even admit it. I'm not a huge fan of the name of the band, but I absolutely love the concept behind the band. I first heard of them about 3 years ago, and I downloaded their two albums called "Lover, the Lord has Left Us" and "Tiger & the Duke." The former being my preference. But I saw Myspace advertising their new album and its streaming from their myspace page, and I gave it a listen and was literally blown away by how much they've gotten better.

Its a group of musicians, basically like a supergroup but of bands you've never heard of. I don't even know all of them but the bands they come from are guys like the Rx Bandits, Circa Survive, Finch, Glassjaw, etc. Basically a bunch of alt rock, punk, and even some emo like bands and they collaborate to make something that resembles progressive rock and experimental. I sense a great deal of Radiohead, some more beats added to this stuff and not so much "clang," like they aren't just creating noise, which is what the first two albums were categorized as...basically noise rock, and I'm not a huge fan of noise rock.

So after listening to "The Ocean & the Sun" I must say that I'm extremely impressed. It's not your typical music, and probably of all my musical tastes the most bat shit crazy stuff I listen to, but I absolutely love this album, and it will probably secure a spot in my top ten albums of the year. Perhaps they just caught me at the right moment, but I'm really digging this stuff, it's bitchin, and its experimental which I love.

I am not recommending this to regular listener of music. if you enjoy stuff like Radiohead, Deftones, even getting into stranger more prog like stuff (Porcupine Tree maybe) possibly even stuff like the Boredoms or Battles. I don't think it sounds anything like the bands that each of the members comes from. Its very experimental.

But yeah, I'm loving this band, and I think I'm going to go back and dig up those other two albums and give those a few spins.