News:

Check out our Site Partners!

80s Mania WrestlingDaShawns2cents on FacebookThe Efed PodcastESPN Sports SimsEWCThe Indy CornerMFX PodcastOld School WrestlingSLTD WrestlingWhat A Maneuver!Wrestleview.comWrestling Mayhem Show

Main Menu

A Playlist that Makes Sentz (11/5/08) Special Edition! Extra Goo!

Started by Tim-Æ, November 05, 2008, 11:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

Okay folks, this is a special edition of the playlist this week because I'm combing two very important segments into one. Why? Because this week I listened to A LOT of new music this week. It's making it very difficult to compile a year end list. In the last few weeks I've listened to SO MUCH music its just ridiculous. I think I'm going crazy.

So without further hesitation, we're going to skip the news and just go into the monumental list this week!

1. Deerhunter - Microcastle/Weird Era Cont. - A+

Wow, I did not see this one coming. I downloaded Deerhunter's last effort from 2007 "Cryptograms," and it was okay, but nothing to shout about. I found it a little too boring for my tastes, and fairly predictable. Well Microcastle has blown me away. I literally cannot stop listening to it. This will definitely be on the year end list (which I may note has been constantly changing - to the point now where I have no idea what will or won't make it), and it's one of those albums I will be buying hard copy of as soon as I can. What I enjoy the most about the album is its subtlety. There's a lot of layered enjoyment, the conjunction of all of the different instrumentation and all of the vocal patterns and uniqueness. These types of bands don't have singles really, but if they would, I'd guarantee the first single would be "Never Stops" which is my favorite Deerhunter track. This music is not going to make you bang your head. Its a groove, some ambient type of rock that's more artistic (which I know sounds dumb) but it is very effective. I'd recommend "Agoraphobia" and "Nothing Ever Happened" the latter of which has an extended instrumental finale that you won't find on any mainstream effort from a band who's music you've heard recycled for years. I haven't listened to the latter disc very much but I certainly intend to given how excellent Microcastle.

2. Frank Black - Teenager of the Year A

Back in the 90s, the lead singer of the influential rock band The Pixies decided to venture towards a solo career. I'm very glad he did. I'm a little bit of a Pixies fan, but not a huge one. So I was pleasantly surprised by this totally different approach to the music. Crunching guitars and a very indie feel to it that predates the whole indie movement we see today by like a decade (this album came out in 1994). What I dig most about this record is how catchy it is, and to think I've never heard of a solo career by Black. The sounds are different and really after listening to the Pixies classic album "Surfer Rosa" I can barely even tell its the same person. But thankfully Black is talented enough to change his vocal styling from projects. Now back in the 90s his first single from this was "Headache" which is by far the best song on the album, but there are plenty of excellent tracks on this one including "(I Want to Live on An) Abstract Plane" as well as "The Vanishing Spies."

3. Abe Vigoda - Skeleton - B+

This is described as tropical punk, which it definitely is. What I enjoy the most about this is that it seems to be a bit more edgier than Vampire Weekend. I see the bands on similar planes, with Abe Vigoda being a bit less poppish. The band visited Lawrence a few weeks back but I missed them. This may sound strange but the only reason I started listening to the band was because of the album artwork which I thought was wicked cool. I really dig this record because of once again, some more subtlety but its far more subdued than Deerhunter. There's similar sounds between the two bands but the sound on this is very poppish, its just that vocally its more abstract and muddled so you won't hear clear vocals too much. There's nothing screaming or even growling, its just washed out it seems and unpolished. Trying to decide if its going to crack the top ten but its highly doubtful, its been a very competitive year in music. No real stand out tracks b/c it seems the album blends together which is a downside sadly. Still though, a very good record from a band that will hopefully see some more exposure in the future.

4. No Age - Nouns - B+

Along with Microcastle and TVOTR's "Dear Science," "Nouns" is listed as one of Pitchfork Media's top albums of the year, scoring a 9.2 out of 10. That's very impressive but I wasn't blown away by this record on first listen. The stand out track being "Erasure" here, and its a worthy song, its just that I have a tough time getting into the "lo-fi" rock, like Times New Viking, and even the Microphones. Nevertheless, the music in lo-fi bands is what I find the most intriguing because its very gritty and impulsive. You won't be rocking out to this, and you sure as shit won't find it on Guitar Hero (despite it being very guitar heavy). The vocals are hardly noticeable and once again drowned out as with most lo-fi output bands like the Magnetic Fields (a band I still can't get into). There's a sort of 1960s approach to the music that's rather compelling but still not enough to keep me interested in it. I've given this some considerable play but it just hasn't stuck with me. I appreciate the talent and the handling of the instruments but honestly lo-fi is one genre of music I will forever struggle to get into.

5. Blitzen Trapper - Furr - A

Another surprise. I didn't expect to enjoy this record at all. Another indie rock band that mixes several styles, and that's really what I'm into at the moment. I don't like monotony in my music, I like surprises, which is why I've become such a fan of bands like TV on the Radio, Apollo Sunshine, and Deerhunter lately is because they don't just stick to the basics, they experiment and bring in so many different types of music that I'm just in awe of them. Blitzen Trapper though mixes something more along the lines of pop music, of all different types, and then goes in the opposite direction with a little bit of borderline screamo to finish out the disc. But what I enjoy most is that Trapper does what all of those other experimental rockers do, and then some by incorporating a style that's not too popular with indie rock listeners like myself - country. I loathe country music, but there's a slight twang here, not like Leann Rhymes or even Tobey Keith, this is subtle and hardly noticeable to the casual listener, but with deep analysis you catch all of the little influences here and there, which is a true treat for the ear because its not ripping off or insulting, it's merely paying homage and as always music is about taste and what sounds pleasing to the musicians ears. Blitzen Trapper does this on all of their tracks, and while the lyrics may not blow you out of the water, there's some excellent playing going on here, and something that I think even the most mainstream themed listeners can appreciate.

6. Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life - A-

Okay call me crazy, but I never thought I'd be listening to a band called Fucked Up. Apparently, live, these guys are wicked. A throwback to the days where bands actually shattered instruments and got wild, instead of this petty shoegazing movement where they spend more time looking at the floor. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but its always nice to see a band driven strictly on some kind of organic fuel, because the power of their punk rock is extreme. It sounds like prog rock almost, and in a great way. Great prog rock bands like Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and yes, even Tool, get paid great homage by the punk genre as they screamers take their aggression out on the stage. But it's not sloppy. I hear a lot of boring shit on the radio. I hear these whiny pussies in their Hot Topic outfits crying about break-ups. Fucked Up isn't singing about that. They aren't even singing about revolting against the times, they are just playing their hearts out and apparently on MTV2, destroying a bathroom in their last live performance. That takes balls. It's rare that I enjoy a band that's motivated strictly by energy, but Fucked Up is full of it, and its not rapid fire adrenaline this is more subtle (the key word in this column) and something that will fly under the radar. This isn't my type of music either. This is an album I can't even listen to at work, so most of my time at home I'm jamming to this. The music is what moves me on this album, its never half-assed and always very fulfilling. Recommend to those who are looking for something a bit harder.

7. the Bound Stems - The Family Float - A-

OMG this is ridiculous. I swear in the last week there was so much incredible music that I listened to that I'm now baffled as to how I can even compile a list of the best in two months time. Will we see The Stems on there? It's very possible. I tried for a long time to score this album, and I finally did and I wish I could see this rocking band live, because they certainly do capture a lot of energy. This is probably the most accessible band on this list, next to Blitzen Trapper. Distinct and decipherable lyrics, as well as catchiness and a hint of mainstream accessibility for the scene kids. There's a sort of messiness going on here, and even on the highlight "Happens to Us All Otherwise" which implores some female vocals a little bit, but still this is an album that I think nearly anyone looking for a nice mix can get into. It won't be this groundbreaking record (so far only Microcastle is), but it will certainly be one of the best albums of the year, and reviews are pretty damn positive for it. I'd recommend this to fans of Spoon and early Weezer, but that doesn't mean you should go into this thinking "ooh, My Name is Jonas?" Don't even think about it. When I reference Weezer, I think of the approach and the carefree attitude that Rivers and Co. implored for the first two records and subsequently lost starting with the Green Album.  This is fun indie pop that I think anyone can really enjoy.

8. Brendan Benson - The Alternative to Love - B+

Haven't gotten to listen to this too much but it's fairly repetitive which may work for some but it's not something I enjoy too much. On the contrary, I've been looking forward to it for months because I love Benson's voice. To anyone unfamiliar with him, go check out The Raconteurs (whose album this year will definitely be cracking my top FIVE). Benson adds the perfect compliment to the bluesy Jack White, but here he's a little bland, and could really benefit from Jack White. I can see why this man has been tediously putting out lots of records. He's on the verge of breaking big but his albums are good just forgettable which is a shame because Benson is extremely talented. However, I'm bias, I love everything Jack White does, so its possible that I just missed the subtlety of the record, but I'll be sure to keep listening.

9. .....And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Our Dead - Source Tags & Codes - n/a

The verdict is still out on this. I'm confused by Pitchfork on this one. This is one of the few albums rated a perfect 10 by the ridiculously critical website (among other perfect 10 albums "Ok Computer," "Kid A," and "The Velvet Underground & Nico." just to name a few). But the rest of the albums by this band are apparently dreadful, just total dross and utter horseshit. So my apprehension to listening to this album is on full throttle because I can't seem to understand how a band could fall so hard...but then I think of Weezer. My initial reaction was not too impressed, but I haven't  given the album my full attention, so that is still to come. Look for a full update once I've listened to this some more.

10. The Pixies - Surfer Rosa - n/a

Okay I should have probably listened to this and been able to rate it. I also will admit the only reasons I downloaded it are  because of 1.) Frank Blacks record was so awesome. and 2.) the song "Where is My Mind?" is amazing, thanks to one of the greatest films ever "Fight Club." Verdict is still out. This is one of the oldest albums on the playlist lately (1988) so I'm still pretty stunned at how diverse and indie this album is, considering it predates all of the grunge era and west coast rap era. It's a little bit more slick than I would have pegged it for, but more listening is definitely needed. More on this later.

There you have it, that's the playlist this week. I wouldn't expect much of an update next week as I think these will be in heavy rotation until I find something else that stuns me.

Until then....go fuck yourself. Just kidding.