News:

Join our chat! - https://discord.gg/6vUfQnG

Main Menu

The Black Keys

Started by Tim-Æ, July 14, 2008, 07:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim-Æ

Okay my praise for this band just never stops. I was first introduced awhile ago by my old roommate and I didn't think much of them, but they continue to impress me on a daily basis. There's the obvious similarities with the White Stripes: two band members, bluesy garage rock style, memorable riffs, homage to older styles, etc. The difference though is that the Black Keys are what the White Stripes tried very hard NOT to be, but do revert back to every once in awhile. Jack White doesn't have the bluesy voice for some material, and that's where the Keys excel. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the White Stripes, one of my favorite bands, but the Black Keys are less experimental and focus on honing their craft of blues rock.

Another difference is that they are stripped down. I'd say the production isn't as polished because they strive to keep that raw sound. It's become a signature part of their sound.  If you are tired of the Stripes and how weird they can be (lets face it, "Conquest" is hella cool, but freaky), I point jitteringly to the Keys and recommend them.

Check out their best record in my opinion "Rubber Factory" it's got excellent and groovy tracks like "10 AM Automatic," "When the LIghts Go Out," "Stack Shot Billy," and a friggin great cover of "Act Nice and Gentle" by Ray Davies.

Their newest effort "Attack & Release" is becoming a huge hit. "Strange Times" is just ridiculously awesome, and songs like "Lies" and "I Got Mine" will keep your foot tapping all the time.

Their other albums kind of vary in quality to me, but still good nonetheless. "Magic Potion" was their 2006 album, and it has some good moments but it's not one that gets a lot of spin (or replay on my laptop that is). "Thickfreakness" is better in my opinion but nothing compares to Factory and A&R, so if you're looking for something inspiring by them, I'd start there and work into the older stuff that's a little harder to get into. Of course this is all opinion, but ya know...

Exile

very good call Tim. This is a really really underappriciated band.

Really hope they get to Atlanta soon.

Cory

Stack Shot Billy is a really fucking good song.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY GAMING CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE